Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Just Another Witch

Author Topic: Just Another Witch
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Prison fantasy. Not that kind. About 3 pages so far.

The man in cell 6 looked glum, same as he always had for fifteen years. Not that it was the same man, he changed every few months, but the warden was the same, and to him all the glum faces had become one. It had happened sometime after the first three and a half years, and definitely some time before the fifth, but to hell with it, Mickey Laurels didn’t care. He was just another witch in his seven walled cell with the thirteen latticelike bars bent to form just the right antimagic hex that kept witches from doing their dirty charmwork.
Mickey would have never dared to stand unarmed before any of the thugs in Trent Maximum Security Prison, but here in Section 18, the Antimagus Wing, he’d have stood balls to balls with any of them and laughed

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a little confused to who's POV we're seeing this from. And is the 'man in cell 6' Mickey Laurels?

Actually, I'm a bit confused all round. First it seems like we're from the wardens POV, then Mickey's but I'm not sure if they are the same person or not.

I think you are trying to tell us much but just confusing us. If its about Mickey, let's see the world from his POV.

Also, 'what' had happened?

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

Mickey is the warden, he's approaching cell 6
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
A big problem is this:

quote:
It had happened sometime after the first three and a half years, and definitely some time before the fifth, but to hell with it, Mickey Laurels didn’t care. He was just another witch in his seven walled cell with the thirteen latticelike bars bent to form just the right antimagic hex that kept witches from doing their dirty charmwork.

This makes it sound like Mickey is in the seven walled cell. I'm guessing you meant the other guy is in the seven walled cell?

edited to add: if you give the other guy a name, it might help to clear up the confusion.

[This message has been edited by darklight (edited July 04, 2007).]

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

You're absoultely right.

'All he saw was just another witch.'

JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
What I understand from this: The warden is assessing a new prisoner, but can't distinguish this one from so many in his past. The new prisoner is Mickey, a witch. Witches are kept in special antimagic cells. The second paragraph is inconsistent with the understanding I get from the first. If Mickey is the warden and he's afraid of convicted thugs in the maximum security prison, he wouldn't necessarily be afraid of suppressed witches. The last sentence implies the personality aspect of a bully where he can feel superior to inmates who aren't physically strong.

The misunderstanding may come from naming the MC so late, or from naming only one of the characters in the first paragraph. Perhaps dropping the name in closer to first mention of either the prisoner or the warden would clarify.

This start sets the fantasy genre and the place. A prison setting has plenty of possibilities for conflicts of many types (including 'that kind') but the first 13 don't start any of those. The hook depends entirely on the magical fantasy genre and prison setting.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
If HE was "just another witch" - then is there any particular reason you have not called him a warlock instead of a witch?
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
The title weakens your story before anyone reads it, IMHO. "Just Another Witch"...reads (almost) like "this is just another witch story with magic..blah..blah - The Witch of Section 18, or The Antimagus Conundrum...your story [is] interesting - but as yoou can tell, I have a bone to pick with the title...
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
The witch of cellblock 18! or Warlock. it's got hook! Trent = king trent?

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited July 04, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

Yeah, the title...
I'm using witch like the n-bomb, the k-word, pick your favorite.

And most modern Wiccans would say there is a difference between witches an warlocks not covered by x/y chromosones.

debhoag
Member # 5493

I would suggest that if you are using a fantasied world as the setting for your story, it might not have wiccans in it. If this is in the extremely long ago past of this planet, wiccan's might not yet exist. Drawing Down the Moon is a good resource book if y9ou want to do straight Wiccan-based mythos.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

According to Richard Buckland...
Warlock
"From the Scottish waerloga, meaning traitor or oathbreaker warlock is a term that has been applied to a male witch but is never used by Witches themselves"
He goes on to say that Warlock came to mean a rat, one who sold out his or her coveymates.

Thus our fine prisoner might turn warlock, he might be in because of one, but he is not yet worthy of the title.

[This message has been edited by EP Kaplan (edited July 05, 2007).]

debhoag
Member # 5493

That's Buckland's ABCs? I'm not going to argue a point with anyone who has done as much research as you obviously have, but there is a common American usage which i do believe has started to depart from the original usage. And here, at least, the word "witch" does have gender connotations to the uninitiated (no pun intended - well, maybe a little one )
sleepn247
Member # 5312

- posted      Profile for sleepn247   Email sleepn247         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, definitely needs work with establishing who is who. I initially thought the POV was the wardens. Then I thought Mickey was another prisoner (the one in the seven walled thing) and a witch. That got me real confused. I reread it after reading your comments, and it makes more sense now, but you have to make that clear from your narrative.

Though witches do have a gendered connotation, it didn't bug me to have it applied to a man. Of course if you're going for accuracy that depends on your setting.

Other than the pronoun confusion, I thought the first 13 were great.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.