Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Death and the Family - First 13

Author Topic: Death and the Family - First 13
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still working on this, though it's already 2,000 words. I just want some feedback on the first 13 and the general direction. It's . . . why can't I ever think of the right genre? Light fantasy? Anyway, there are ghosts.
Let me know what you think.

- Moira

“I said, ‘No!’” Emily repeated, finally turning on the light beside the bed she shared with her fiance. “We are not having ghosts in the house. I don’t care if it’s tradition. I’m not doing it!”

Michael Nguyen sighed. The argument had begun somewhere between brushing their teeth and saying good night, and from the way Emily’s face was flushed and way her eyebrows were furrowed, he could see that this fight was going to be a long, miserable one. “My parents are begging me, hon. Besides, they’re not ghosts, they’re ancestors. More importantly, they’re family. It doesn’t matter to us that they happen to be dead. I mean you don’t think of your Aunt Kitty as a ghost, do you?”

In fact, Emily did think of Aunt Kitty as a ghost.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
“I said, ‘No!’” Emily repeated, finally turning on the light beside the bed she shared with her fiance. “We are not having ghosts in the house. I don’t care if it’s tradition. I’m not doing it!”

Funny start. Excellent. A tradition of ghosts is a terrific hook. You could cut the phrase "finally..." or move it until after the hook statement.

Michael Nguyen sighed. The argument had begun somewhere between brushing their teeth and saying good night, and from the way Emily’s face was flushed and way her eyebrows were furrowed, he could see that this fight was going to be a long, miserable one. “My parents are begging me, hon. Besides, they’re not ghosts, they’re ancestors. More importantly, they’re family. It doesn’t matter to us that they happen to be dead. I mean you don’t think of your Aunt Kitty as a ghost, do you?”

Now it is beginning to sound too conventional, and loses the humor a bit. Made me think "Oh, I wasn't supposed to laugh". Was I?

In fact, Emily did think of Aunt Kitty as a ghost.

Now we have shifted to Emily's POV. That change is distracting enough for me to go "o-oh". Overall, a great start, if it is to be funny. Otherwise, I will feel let down.

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited August 14, 2007).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
It's their choice? To have the ghosts? Cool, especially if they're ancestors.

Of course, that could be the ultimate living-with-the-inlaws sitcom. Ghosts often make for dark fantasy or horror, though. These first 13 lines have a light tone (and the flushed face made me think they'd done more than brush teeth.)

The characters and conflict are introduced as well as the genre and the lightness of the story. In two readings, I don't find any nits, but others will. I thought at first that Michael's full name was a bit formal for the tone, but then the ancestral stuff is cultural so the name is needed to establish family cultural background in the story.

Poor Aunt Kitty. She's not dead, is she? I think I'm beginning to identify with her already.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
The overall tone is supposed to be light - no horror or anything like that. I'm switching PoVs a little bit because I want the story from both perspectives. I used Michael's full name because he's Vietnamese and the cultural difference is part of the story.

Aunt Kitty is dead, but still around. She lives in Emily's dad's attic and is a little peculiar.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the humor, and I liked it. The potential cultural clash in and of itself is enough to keep me reading. Even if it has ghosts, I mean the real-live floating-around-and-causing-trouble kind, I think you could sell this to a more mainstream or literary journal.

My main thing was I didn't like the opening line. In general, stories that start with dialogue feel startling to me, and to have dialoge within dialogue (Emily quoting herself) felt doubly aggressive.

Really, my only nit-picky thing was the repetition in "the way" which didn't work for me:

>from the way Emily’s face was flushed and way her eyebrows were furrowed

(sorry, don't know the fancy pantsy codes yet for quoting, bolding, etc!)

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed your first 13, I am definately hooked. I like a bit of humour in my reading, one of the things that drew me to Harry Potter was humour.

Is it aimed to be 'comedy' genre? The problem there is that people want lots of joke (note people wanting more than two jokes in 13 lines) might be better to have a fantasy with comedy, than comedy with fantasy.

One of the things I have noted about 'comedy' as such, is that sometimes the joke can't stretch too far (some Terry Pratchett books I found were too long for the joke) but when done well it is great.

Grant

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work, aerten...

I like the tone and the voice of this, and I'm hooked and continuing to read. Other than the POV shift that has already been mentioned, I did notice a couple other technical areas that could be improved.

"...and from the way Emily’s face was flushed and way her eyebrows were furrowed..." This long description kind of knocks us out of the rhythm of your words. This sentence is already long enough with between brushing their teeth and saying goodnight, which in itself sets a tone and speaks to the domestic habits of your MC's. The bit about Emily's face could be reworded to be a little more economical.

"It doesn’t matter to us that they happen to be dead." This is a little redundant, and in an actual argument, I don't know that this point would be reinforced quite so much. We're discussing ghosts here - if the reader can't reason out on their own that we're talking about the spirits of dead people, perhaps they need to go back to reading some Scooby Doo to learn the difference between a real ghost (the spirit of a dead person) and a fake ghost (creepy old Mr. Sanders who lives down at the abandoned carnival grounds and is trying to scare all the kids away).

Very very good, though. I like this.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.