Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Marbles - first thirteen

Author Topic: Marbles - first thirteen
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all! I'm back after a long absence involving moving halfway across the country to start my Master's Degree.

So here's the first thirteen of a contemporary dark fantasy story. I'd love any critiques on how to improve the opening (which starts with a dream sequence), but what I really need are readers for the whole thing. It's about 6400 words.

Rain pelted her face, running down her cheeks in rivulets. Her whole body was wet, and she was so cold. Someone was cradling her. It sounded like he was sobbing, mumbling something over and over that she couldn’t quite understand. She looked up at the dark clouds, squinted through the drops that fell on her lashes and wondered if the rain was ever going to stop.
<
The plates slipped from her fingers, shattering on the tiled floor of the diner. All noise in the restaurant ceased as everyone craned their necks to look for the source of the crash. Sarah stared down at the chair leg she had tripped over, and the two plates lying in pieces on the floor.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited September 09, 2007).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it Sarah's dream? If so, why not, "Rain pelted Sarah's face..."

Also, do you need the dream sequence? I'm guessing Sarah is lost in it for a moment and then trips on the chair leg. But dreams are a bit cliche. The hook here seems to rely on making the reader wonder what the dream is about, why the man is crying, whether she's in a land of eternal rain, and to find out how the dream and her tripping over the chair are related. It's not enough to really get me. I don't really see a conflict--I see an unveiling, which doesn't interest me all that much.

On the other hand, I do wonder what happens after she trips on that chair... maybe because I'm clumsy, maybe because I see her boss yelling at her. So, I'll offer to read. Send it along, if you like.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christopher
Member # 6336

- posted      Profile for Christopher   Email Christopher         Edit/Delete Post 
A man was cradling her. He was sobbing, mumbling something over and over that she couldn’t quite understand.

COMMENT: No need to say "someone" when you say "he" in the next line. Also, no need to say "it sounded like" sobbing. If it sounded like sobbing, it probably was.

<

The plates slipped from her fingers, shattering on the tiled floor.

COMMENT: no need to say "on the tiled floor of the diner" because you use the word "restaurant" in the next sentence. If you like the word "diner" better than "restaurant" because it is more specific, just use that word instead of restaurant in that next sentence.

This change also lines the sentence up with the general writing rule: whatever is at the end of any block of writing is what is emphasized in that block of writing. In this instance, the block of writing is a sentence, and "of the diner" is less impactful than the actual impact of the plate hitting the floor. So this change puts the emphasis where you want it.

>

Sarah stared down at the chair leg she had tripped over, and at the two plates lying in pieces in front of her.

COMMENT: I just thought "in front of her" worked a bit better for beat, and because, of course, it is "on the floor" so there is no need to say it.

In general: I like it. It makes me want to read more.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not a big fan of opening with a dream sequence either.

I thought it strange that she should be being held by this strange man babbling something and crying and yet she is more bothered about the weather. This might make total sense later in the story but it seemed strange to me here.

Again, skipping from the dream to the woman coming to with a fall - it seems a little cliche to me, though the writing is good and I'll read the whole thing if you like.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a read too, if you want. I'll save my comments for the story as a whole.

Brendan

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back.

My take:

quote:

Rain pelted herWho? face, running down her cheeks in rivulets. Her whole body was wet[Deleted. No comma necessary.], and she was so cold. Someone was cradling her. It sounded like he<--Does she knew him? Why say "Someone" was cradling her, if she knows it's a him? was sobbing, mumbling something over and over that she couldn’t quite understand. She looked up at the dark clouds<--Didn't she see who was cradling her here?, squinted through the drops that fell on her lashes and wondered if the rain was ever going to stop.

The plates slipped from her[Who? The girl from the first paragraph, or Sarah?] fingers, shattering on the tiled floor of the diner. All noise in the restaurant ceased as everyone craned their necks to look for the source of the crash. Sarah stared down at the chair leg she had tripped over, and the two plates lying in pieces on the floor.

1) You've only got about ten lines here.

2) I have no clue what this story is about. All I know is that the first paragraph left me confused, and the second is about a waitress -- with no promise of conlict, and nothing denoting it's any kind of fantasy -- therefore I have no interest in reading further.

The second paragraph was cleanly written. Nice voice. I wonder if the hook was in the next three lines.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Here's a new take on the opening. I took the good advice of many and dropped the dream sequence. Does this work better?

Sarah had to shout over the clamor in the diner. “Is Table 15’s order ready yet?”
“Yeah, yeah, hold on,” one of the cooks yelled back, barely audible over the loud chatter jukebox blaring Elvis. He shoved her order on the counter then, and Sarah turned gratefully toward her section.
The jukebox clinked.
The voice was dark and rich. She sang a sorrowful song, but there was a power and confidence behind it that made Sarah’s breath catch in her throat. There was something familiar there, something she had been missing with a terrible ache…
The plates slipped from Sarah's fingers, shattering on the tiled floor of the diner. She stared down at the chair leg...

(Monstewer and Brendan, thank you for agreeing to read. It's going to be a few days before I send it along though, because early reviews have pointed out to me just how much this story needs to change. I'll send it along then, if you don't mind.)

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Better.

quote:

Sarah had to shout over the clamor in the diner. “Is Table 15’s order ready yet?”

“Yeah, yeah, hold on,” one of the cooks yelled back, barely audible over the loud chatter [Did you forget the word: and?] jukebox blaring Elvis. He shoved her order on the counter then, and Sarah turned gratefully toward her section.

The jukebox clinked.<--[Eh? Changed what it was playing, or just made a noise?]

The voice was dark and rich. She sang a sorrowful song, but there was a power and confidence behind it that made Sarah’s breath catch in her throat. There was something familiar there, something she had been missing with a terrible ache…

The plates slipped from Sarah's fingers, shattering on the tiled floor of the diner. She stared down at the chair leg...

IMO, you could condense a bit of the second paragraph then let us know if the chair tripped her, or she kicked it. If the former, that's definately a hook.

Maybe:
A woman's voice sang with a dark and sorrowful power that made Sarah's breath catch. It was familiar. She felt pangs of craving, like a recovering addict exposed to heroin.

or something.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

How about this?

Sarah had to shout over the blaring jukebox and the overall clamor in the diner. “Is Table 15’s order ready yet?”
“Yeah, yeah, hold on,” one of the cooks yelled back. He shoved her order on the counter then, and Sarah turned gratefully toward her section.
Elvis's song warbled to a close. The jukebox clinked.
The woman's voice was dark and sorrowful. Sarah’s breath caught in her throat. There was something in that rich voice that she had been missing with a terrible ache, something she desperately craved...
The plates slipped from her fingers, shattering on the tiled floor of the diner. Sarah stared down at the chair leg she had tripped over, and the two plates lying in pieces on the floor.

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited September 12, 2007).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.