Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The gift of Kings

Author Topic: The gift of Kings
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
When it is upon you an interstellar ship is an imposing mass for sure. But in the vast starlit vaults of space it is as small as a molecule of water in an infinite ocean. So minuscule in fact, that it is a colossal understatement to say it is easily missed. Indeed it is far more accurate to say it is near impossible to find. Occasionally though, given enough time, the odds can narrow to the point of collision.
For two hundred eighty three years the Salacia drifted far from the old covert trade routes. For a hundred of those years her warm yellow perimeter lights blinked silently as she strayed through the deep cold of the Halius void. She had no beacon, for her long dead crew had been men of stealthy capers who had no desire to be a blip on official grid. Her engines now quiet

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 07, 2007).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

When it is upon you[,] an interstellar ship is an imposing mass for sure. But in the vast starlit vaults of space[,] it is as small as a molecule of water in an infinite ocean. [So minuscule in fact, that it is a colossal understatement to say it is easily missed. Indeed it is far more accurate to say it is near impossible to find.<--I got it with as small a molecule of water, the rest is overkill.] Occasionally though, given enough time, the odds can narrow to the point of collision.<--[Eh? Except for the first sentence, this sounds like an info-dump.]
For [two hundred eighty three<--[Hyphenate] years the Salacia[What is this?] drifted far from the old covert trade routes. For a hundred of those years her warm yellow perimeter lights blinked silently as she strayed through the deep cold of the Halius void. She had no beacon, for her long dead crew had been men of stealthy capers[,] who had no desire to be a blip on official grid. Her engines [were] now quiet and bereft of spark [from an age of disuse<--needed?].

1) The first paragraph seems totally unnecessary. It doesn't do anything to progress the story.

2) Omniscient short stories are harder to immerse in. I see no character to follow into the story, no PoV to experience it from. I suggest brining us into this from your protagonist's PoV.

3) Without any protagonist, I don't have a sense of impending conflict, which--as you know--is the key to hooking the reader.

I like the images that the second paragraph invokes. If it was a novel-length story, I'd read on.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When it is upon you an interstellar ship is an imposing mass for sure. But in the vast starlit vaults of space it is as small as a molecule of water in an infinite ocean.

Not bad, but I normally don't like starting out a story with a dependent clause. It's your first sentence be more direct.
quote:
So minuscule in fact, that it is a colossal understatement to say it is easily missed. Indeed it is far more accurate to say it is near impossible to find.
You're repeating yourself. Your imagery of a molecule of water already conveyed this idea.
quote:
Occasionally though, given enough time, the odds can narrow to the point of collision.
This is an unclear sentence.
quote:
For two hundred eighty three years the Salacia drifted far from the old covert trade routes. For a hundred of those years her warm yellow perimeter lights blinked silently as she strayed through the deep cold of the Halius void. She had no beacon, for her long dead crew had been men of stealthy capers who had no desire to be a blip on official grid. Her engines now quiet and bereft of spark from an age of disuse.

This the first time you're writing about something concrete, and not the abstract.
[br]
- The first half could have been summed up in two words. In space. Give your readers credit for understanding how big space is. And besides, your story isn't about how big space is right? It's about Salacia. So, start out with the subject of your story.

Here is my quick edit of your first 13.

quote:
For two hundred eighty three years the Salacia drifted in space, far from the old covert trade routes. For a hundred of those years her warm yellow perimeter lights blinked silently as she strayed through the deep cold of the Halius void. She had no beacon, for her long dead crew had been men of stealthy capers who had no desire to be a blip on official grid. Her engines now quiet and bereft of spark from an age of disuse.

[This message has been edited by hteadx (edited October 07, 2007).]

Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice voice! Some grammar issues:

quote:
When it is upon you an interstellar ship is an imposing mass for sure.

At the very least, insert coma after "you". Even then, it's a clunkyish phrase.

quote:
But in the vast starlit vaults of space it is as small as a molecule of water in an infinite ocean.

I'm not sure I can picture "vast starlit vaults". I get the idea, because I know what Space is like, not because the description is specially helpful.

quote:
Her engines now quiet and bereft of spark from an age of disuse.

Verb? Tack it on to the previous phrase or to the next.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it make any difference if I tell you that the first paragraph is a prologue and the second is the actual start and is told as a story related by an old captain?

So the first paragraph would appear in italics above the main text. Sorry about the grammar, its just a rough draft and I should have tidied it up first.

Tracy

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited October 07, 2007).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Antinomy
Member # 5136

- posted      Profile for Antinomy   Email Antinomy         Edit/Delete Post 
My two cents: For a stronger hook, swap the paragraphs.
Posts: 147 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost hooked by a pirate ship drifting in space, and the second para largely evokes a nice image. But to properly hook me I'd want to know why this particular ship is interesting.

For me there's a problem with the first para, or prologue. The first few sentences establish the idea that an interstellar ship, despite its huge size, is unlikely to be found if it's drifting in the vastness of space. The last sentence contradicts this impression by saying, in effect, that despite the odds it's going to be discovered.

It sounds like the story will start with the accidental discovery of the Salacia. (And maybe this is where the first 13 should start.) I know this is an unlikely event and (as with several other SF stories I've read) I'll willingly suspend disbelief to let the story commence. But if the start of the story emphasizes just how unlikely this is, I'm reluctant to suspend disbelief unless there's a really, really good reason for the coincidence. So, if it doesn't matter to the story, I'd just create the image of this hulk drifting in the vastness of space without emphasising the unlikeliness of it being discovered.

I wondered what a covert trading route might be: for me, trading routes are well known to all, and not covert. I don't know why, but "men of stealthy capers" is an odd-sounding phrase to me.

"For a hundred of those years her warm yellow perimeter lights blinked silently " I wondered which hundred years (the first hundred?) and what they were doing the rest of the time (failed after a hundred years?). Also, in space, they'd necessarily be silent so maybe 'silently' is redundant.

And a nit: "When it is upon you" was a jarring opening for me. "When what is upon me?" I wondered. When I realised it was an interstellar ship, my immediate reaction was, "How and why would a ship be upon me?" I had this crazy image of a massive ship sitting on me. I'd suggest something like, "An interstellar starship is an imposing mass when you're up close 'n personal to it."

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...cute idea. I think what you need is a better segue from the ideas of the first paragraph to the second and (probably) from the second into the opening scene. Just spacing down to a new paragraph doesn't work. You need some words getting the reader there.

Just my take on the problem.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested. The sentence "Occasionally, given time, the odds can narrow to the point of collision." fills me with anticipation of the impending discovery of this ship that has been floating through the infinite for centuries (though I think 283 years is nothing to even the odds... a few hundred million years would be more like it). I wouldn't omit this sentence. However, I do think it should be reworded. I took it to mean, "if you wait long enough, the odds that it will be found get better". Say it in your voice but be clearer.

I don't mind that it starts out vague. There's an interstellar ship with a dead crew that has been floating in deep space and it is about to be discovered. That's enough for me (for the first 13 lines, at least...).

Is it finished? I'll read the rest if you send it to me.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Combination of ideas.

So, I like theadx and Jon's suggestions.

Collapse the first few sentences, but I'd use "through space".
Condense the "impending discovery" bit from the first paragraph and then tack onto the end, like Antinomy suggested. I think that this idea is important to the hook, like Jon suggested.

I think that this idea has a lot of possibility. How long is it? What sub-genre? Mystery? Horror(a-la aliens)?

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited October 09, 2007).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.