Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Trapped (working title)

Author Topic: Trapped (working title)
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
“W…will it hurt?” Hannah said in a small voice that barely crossed the damp cell.
Joshua looked up from the flagstone he had been using to sharpen the knife. The mote of elf-light spun a few feet higher to give him a view of the Hannah’s face.
“I don’t know.”
He looked down, away from her large brown eyes.
“I suppose it will – for a moment,” he continued. He tested the edge of the blade with his thumb “ – but I’ll try to do it quickly.”
The blade was razor-sharp. He carefully put it behind his back on the cold floor.
“And you are sure I will be able to come back?”

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 25, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobertB
Member # 6722

- posted      Profile for RobertB   Email RobertB         Edit/Delete Post 
Good, but I don't get the transition from 'Hannah' to 'the Hannah' unless it's a typo. I'd certainly read on.
Posts: 185 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah, it's a typo. I originally called her 'the girl', but I knew I would get stick for not naming her so I named her quickly before posting, but forgot to remove 'the'.

Sorry.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Very strong opening. Good luck with the story.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done. Some will want to read on because of the writing. Others will pass in spite of it because they don't want to know what happens. I have particular angst because of my young granddaughter named Hannah.

For a bit smoother read, I'd drop the "I don't know" sentence and combine the next two paragraphs into one.

I particularly like the image of the "mote of elf-light" spinning higher.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done indeed. A few nits:

"He looked down, away from her large brown eyes." This is redundant as if he looked down it was also away from her eyes. "He looked down from her large brown eyes." is a little more to the point.

Joshua could be a little more committal. - "...but I'll try to do it quickly." How about something like "I'll do it quickly."

"The lie seemed to close his throat." Somewhat passive. "His throat tightened at the lie."

"He carefully put it behind his back on the cold floor." This is a little confusing to me as his intent is obvious and I'm left wondering why he puts the knife on the floor. Or did he put it behind his back while he was standing on the cold floor? The sentence is awkward. Instead something like "He held the knife behind his back and stepped toweard her." is more direct and threatening - in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited October 24, 2007).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Hi,

In terms og Joshua's non-committal replies -- he is an apprentice forced into a situation where he has to perform an extreme act -- he is very unsure of himself. If he was more committal it would flavour the piece differently.

Thanks you for the suggested changes, which I will bear in mind when I re-write the piece. I wrote a bit more of this intro, though only another five or so lines. I didn't want to go for 'direct and threatening' but something friendly yet awful.

Adam

Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think you were trying to convey something redundant, but it does seem like you want a little more than what is there. I suggest simply replacing "away" with "avoiding".

That simple change makes the line less of a stage direction and gives it more meaning. If Joshua is avoiding looking Hannah in the eye, we know he's lying and he's not proud of it. It's just one of those classic actions in writing (and life) that everyone understands. After telegraphing that to us, you can confirm our suspicions with the line about his throat closing around the lie, or you can be more subtle about his speech, knowing that you reader will have already picked up on it without needing you to spell it out.

I like that Joshua is uncertain and noncommital. I gathered from the first 13 that he either has no intention of reviving Hannah, and hates that he has made the decision to kill her for some other purpose, or that he intends to revive her, but has a great deal less confidence in his abilities than he is trying to convey to her. The uncertainty just works from that POV.

[This message has been edited by Khalan (edited October 25, 2007).]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yeah, I like 'avoiding'. It is meant to be a signal he is uncomfortable.
dienstag
Member # 5696

- posted      Profile for dienstag   Email dienstag         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I'd definitely read more.
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.