Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » A Voluptuous Finish, with a Scythe of Reapers

Author Topic: A Voluptuous Finish, with a Scythe of Reapers
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to be posting so many WIPs. This is about 1/3 done, but I have a very detailed outline, so all I have to do is bang it out and make it work. Based on where the beginning scene came out, I expect it to be somewhere between 4,500 and 6,000 words. Have been polishing the first 13 as well, so thought I would get some feedback...

Thanks.

Thane

“so who’s first? who brought us something special?”
“i found a nice one, out near Mira system. a pleasure cruiser was viewing a trinary star set. misjudged the gravity well. six hundred voices shrieking fear. It was a tasty quaff.”
The Reaper pulsed a replica of the draught. The others pulsed back responses of savory delight – all except Lexha.
Moving past the awkward silence, the next one shared.
“i came across a fuelport meltdown. took the whole station and twelve tugs with it. Searing pain, spread out like a nova.”
This Reaper also pulsed a sample. Rapid thoughts came back, and their receptors jangled – “amazing” “bright” “heady.”
Still Lexha remained silent. Secondary pulses brushed between them. Tiny hints of curiosity, as well as a few flutters of veiled annoyance, rippled around the gathering.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

quote:
“so (So) who’s first? who (Who)brought us something special?” (Who says this?)
“i (I)found a nice one, out near Mira system. a (A) pleasure cruiser was viewing a trinary star set. misjudged the gravity well. six (Six)hundred voices shrieking fear. It was a tasty quaff.”
The Reaper pulsed a replica of the draught(Unsure what this means) . The others pulsed back responses of savory delight – all except Lexha.
Moving past the awkward silence, the next one (one? What are they?)shared.
“i (I)came across a fuelport meltdown. took (Took)the whole station and twelve tugs with it. Searing pain, spread out like a nova.”
This Reaper also pulsed a sample. Rapid thoughts came back, and their receptors jangled – “amazing” “bright” “heady.”
Still Lexha remained silent. Secondary pulses brushed between them. Tiny hints of curiosity, as well as a few flutters of veiled annoyance, rippled around the gathering.

I am intrigued, but very unsure about what is going on. You have used terms that are not immediately understandable. I don't know where all this is happening. I am unsure of who is talking at times. The piece lacks a certain clarity of setting.

I gather this is a set of grim reapers who are comparing deaths they have experienced at some death-version of a board meeting.

You seem to have started many sentences without capitalizing the first letter of the first word. I would recommend reading a grammar book if you are unsure of any rules -- certainly I had to do it, and I still make loads of mistakes -- but it will eliminate the most common faults.

I am unsure if I would read on. The grammar would put me off, although the idea intrigued me.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 09, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Thanks skadder. The "uncapitalization" was intentional, as when I put it in MS form it will be in italics, and uncapitalized (they are thoughts, transmitted by telepathy. This is why all the description is in proper form, and the dialogue isn't. I just set it off by quotes so I would remember where the dialogue was.

Thanks for the comments on clarity. I will take another look at that.

Thane

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is a very interesting idea here, but there are several things that don't work for me.

The "uncapitalization", intentional though it may be, didn't serve the intended purpose IMHO. I think it would be much better to just tell the reader that this conversation is telepathic.

Is there a reason you omitted tags in most of the dialog? Immediately knowing who is saying what would make this easier to read. Maybe they are all unnamed reapers. If so, then tell us that explicitly.

I think you need a few words just to describe what is going on. Skadder thought this was a group of grim reapers comparing deaths they have experienced, I thought it was *the* Grim Reaper walking around tasting deaths discovered by a group of his minions. (I looked again and saw the words "this Reaper" near the end, so it looks like skadder is right) Try to make it so obvious that even idiot readers like me will have a clear picture of what is going on the first time they read.

I think with just few changes this could be a very interesting beginning.

[This message has been edited by Jon Ruyle (edited November 09, 2007).]

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Hi,

Apologies, I didn't realise it was purposeful. Although I wonder why you break the convention, anyway. Thoughts are often represented in italics, but are still capitalised as they remain sentences.

I know Death in Terry Whatisname books always speaks in capitals. Is this the sort of effect you are going for?
For me the break in convention looks like an error, and I am not sure what it adds.

Adam

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Just a final point.

It may be telepathy, but it is operating as speech in the prose. I think you need to re-think how you do this.

Adam

Igwiz
Member # 6867

Revised.

I am trying an experiment here, as well. I intentionally don't name the reapers (except for Lexha). Also, this is a double frame story. Lexha shares a story (and an experience with the others gathered at the meeting), and then there are frame stories within the next scene, where Lexha (a member of a stellar species that evolved by drinking energy imbalances from quasars, but who now occasionally sample the emotional "imbalances" that eminate from humans) interacts with 3 humans, and they share their stories. BUT, none of that matters if nobody reads on.

Here are some revisions, with proper capitalization. (Good advice, skadder. I was going for form over function...bad idea.)

“So who’s first? Who brought something special?” said the oldest.
“I found a nice one, out near Mira system. A pleasure cruiser was viewing a trinary star set. It misjudged the gravity well. I tasted six hundred voices shrieking fear. It was a tasty quaff.”
The sharer pulsed a replica of the draught. After savoring, the others pulsed back responses of delight – all except Lexha.
“I came across a fuelport meltdown. It took the whole station and twelve tugs with it. Searing pain, spread out like a nova.”
This sharer also pulsed a sample. Rapid thoughts came back, and their receptors jangled in pleasure –

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 10, 2007).]

skadder
Member # 6757

Much better. I like it.

Although I think your obvious hook remains weak. The situation is intriguing and I would read more, but the hook of Lexha (who you have failed to explain how she/he/it is different from the rest) and her standoffish behavior is not in itself very hooky. I am personally more interested in the reapers (who you have renamed). I have just noticed why. I think you almost downplay your own hook when you state:

>Tiny hints of curiosity, as well as a few flutters of veiled annoyance, rippled around the gathering.

It kind of makes me only a tiny bit curious, and only a little annoyed I don't know the reason she is just standing there doing nothing.

Perhaps you should make this stronger. We do after all take our cue from the narrators perception. You do the same earlier when you say:

>Moving past the awkward silence, the next one shared.

I actually moved past the silence, almost not registering what you said -- it didn't feel awkward.

There was an awkward silence.(Someone coughed quietly)

To me, the above feels more awkward and therefore hooks me into the prose.

Still, correcting the grammar has improved it. I would read on.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited November 09, 2007).]

Igwiz
Member # 6867

Another revision. Good point in expecting a "setting" Jon. I had sculpted out a 3-page backstory just to have a touchstone for myself, and then totally spaced giving some form of background to the reader.

As to the lack of tags, the other 5 (besides Lexha and "the oldest") are going to function more like a greek chorus. Unless it totally fails to pull people in, I would like to continue the 2 dialogue "shares" without tags.

Hopefully the new first line adds to the hook and provides additional background as well...

Thank you both for your input.

Seven Reapers gathered in to share their favorite draughts.
“Who’s first?" said the oldest. "Who brought something special?”
“I found a nice one, out near Mira system. A pleasure cruiser was viewing a trinary star set. It misjudged the gravity well. I tasted six hundred voices shrieking fear. It was a tasty quaff.”
The sharer pulsed a replica of it to the others. After savoring, they pulsed back responses of delight – all except Lexha.
“I came across a fuelport meltdown. It took the whole station and twelve tugs with it. Searing pain, spread out like a nova.”
This one also pulsed a sample. Rapid thoughts came back, and

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 10, 2007).]

skadder
Member # 6757

This feels stronger.
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
This almost hooks me, but not quite. I think a hook defines a problem for a character that attracts our interest.

Lexha's lack of response doesn't seem like an interesting problem because her colleagues ignore it. And we know nothing of her, except that we assume she's one of the seven and therefore a Reaper: we don't know whether to care about her or not. (Heck, we don't even know if Alexha's male, female or something else. The name just sounds female to me.)

"Moving past the awkward silence, the next one shared." My immediate reaction to this was, what awkward silence? There had been responses of delight.

I think I understand the greek chorus thing but for me it doesn't work because I'm thinking if one has a name, they all do, and the narrator surely knows them, so why not name them? Also, it creates a new problem - what to call them? So now they're variously reapers, sharers and ones. The term 'This one', especially, to me sounds lame.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the capitalization, but not with some of the newer changes.

Italics is enough to signal thought. You're readership is speculative, they can take not knowing exactly what's going on if the beginning is intriguing enough, and this one certainly is. You do not need to spell it all out.

One of the most intriguing beginnings I've read in Hatrack.

Do you need readers? I'm interested.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, the third version is by far the best. It's the only one that has made me interested in reading more, though your hook is a bit weak. I am curious about why Lexha held back.

I'm with Sara - if you're looking for readers, I'm interested. However, I should warn you that I'm way behind on critiques, so it might take a while to get back to you.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Reworked a little, with a couple of tags, and taking some of Sara's advice (thanks for the very nice complement, btw)....

Also, I re-read it cold and realized that it is missing conflict in order to draw the reader in, so now instead of silence from Lexha, we have what she is really thinking about the first two draughts.

So now, after all of your comments and advice, I guess I should go turn this from a WIP to a CW (completed work). Then I can share the finished story around and see if it actually works. Thanks all for your advice and insights.

Thane

“Who’s first? Who brought something special?” pulsed the oldest.
“I found a nice one, out near Mira system. A pleasure cruiser was viewing a trinary star set. It misjudged the gravity well. Six hundred voices shrieking fear. It was a tasty quaff.”
The sharer pulsed a replica of the draught. After savoring, the others pulsed back responses of delight – all except Lexha.
“It seems oily...hollow,” she pulsed. “Where’s the middle?”
After an awkward silence, the next one shared.
This one also pulsed a sample. Rapid thoughts came back, their receptors jangling – “amazing” “bright” “heady.”
“It's just so big, so brawny. There’s no finish, only attack,”

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited November 15, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited November 15, 2007).]

Caliban
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Caliban   Email Caliban         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this last revision. After reading all 3 of your previous workings, this one seemed to provide the conflict that we were looking for. Lexha was more involved which motivated the awkward silence. That brought me in to where I wanted to know more.

I liked the use of the imagery: "Hollow" and "Brawny". In a short 13 lines it gave a depth and substance to something that is rather intangible.

Just one thought about the use of telepathy, I like the idea and the choice you made in the beginning. I think if set up properly, which would probably take more than 13 lines, I think it could be pretty effective.

Just my take...

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read this if you like.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

Thanks all for the positive feedback. Still a WIP, but I will shop it around when I get it done.

Thanks,

Thane

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.