Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 'Contagion' [Sci-Fi WIP]

Author Topic: 'Contagion' [Sci-Fi WIP]
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, my first feedback request...

This is a sci-fi WIP, about 2,000 words so far (target uncertain, but within 'short story' guidelines). I wrote it a while ago, and recently came back to it in an attempt to find its direction. I'd love crits on the first 13 here (anything from overall impressions to a line-by-liner is great), and I'm also looking for readers.

Thanks, everyone

There was plenty to look at in downtown Victoria even without being aware of the ethereal bacteria teeming amidst it all.

Bonnie Sasaki envied the citizens and visitors who passed through the garden city of British Columbia's Vancouver Island with hardly a thought for the ample physical bacteria on every surface, let alone the intangible amaurobes that hitched a ride on every soul, stuck to the immaterial host like plant burrs. It had been a challenging reality for a recent science MA graduate to accept at first, but the field agent of four years who sat sipping her whisky on the rocks on the pub's summer patio was inured to the novelty.

She wasn't on duty just now, but a great percentage of her fieldwork was so similar to the rhythm of daily life that she

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited November 17, 2007).]

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marzo,

Just a few quick thoughts.

First, I'm a Londoner and therefore I believe that London is the centre of the universe. So for me Victoria is in London, and it took me a while to figure out there might be another in B.C.

There's Bonnie, a recent science MA grad, a field agent and, in the last line, a "she": are these all the same person or different people?

"stuck to the immaterial host like plant burrs" I think this should be "stuck to their immaterial hosts like plant burrs" -- and I doubt that "immaterial" is necessary, since souls are surely not of the material world.

I wondered if "amaurobes" was a made-up word, perhaps some kind of French-influenced word for 'love bugs', so I looked it up. I didn't find it, but did find "amaurosis":

"noun Medicine partial or total blindness without visible change in the eye, typically due to disease of the optic nerve, spinal cord, or brain." Do you intend such connotations?

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this opening. It promises to be an interesting story.

There was plenty to look at in downtown Victoria even without being aware of the ethereal bacteria teeming amidst it all.

Love that first line. Hooks me from the very start.

intangible amaurobes that hitched a ride on every soul, stuck to the immaterial host like plant burrs.

I like each of these descriptions, but having both of them is redundant to me.

It had been a challenging reality for a recent science MA graduate to accept at first, but the field agent of four years who sat sipping her whisky on the rocks on the pub's summer patio was inured to the novelty.

This comes across as a clumsy info drop to me. What would feel much more natural to me would be just using her name here, and revealing her position and educational status through her actions in the story or interactions with other characters. Or, if you want to tell us instead of show us, just straight up tell us. "Bonnie had recently graduated with an MA in science and had been working as a field agent for 4 years." Something like that maybe. As it is, it feels to me like you're trying to sneak the info in without us knowing that you're sneaking it in, and not getting away with it.

Also, "science" is a pretty general subject to get a master's degree in. I would think her degree wou8ld be more specialized that that.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid my reaction was more negative than wetwilly's.

<<You can't see bacteria, so the parallel "look at"/"be aware of" doesn't work.>>

Bonnie Sasaki envied the citizens and visitors who passed through the garden city of British Columbia's Vancouver Island with hardly a thought for the ample physical bacteria on every surface, let alone the intangible amaurobes that hitched a ride on every soul, stuck to the immaterial host like plant burrs.

<<Too big an infodump for sentence two.>>

It had been a challenging reality for a recent science MA graduate to accept at first, but the field agent of four years who sat sipping her whisky on the rocks on the pub's summer patio was inured to the novelty.

<<"It had been...>> is a weak opening. A stronger version of the same sentence would begin "Bonnie sat sipping her whisky on the rocks, on the pub's summer patio. She was now inured to the thought of the bacteria, though four years ago as a recent science MA graduate it had been hard to accept." Note that I've kept your wording, only changing the order of the words. But the comment above on "science MA" is apt. Try "biology graduate".

She wasn't on duty just now, but a great percentage of her fieldwork was so similar to the rhythm of daily life that she

<<Something needs to happen.>>

I hope this helps.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

Waking up to such helpful advice is great. Thank you, you three!
Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
There was plenty to look at in downtown Victoria even without being aware of the ethereal bacteria teeming amidst it all. (I like this opening. Tighten it a little to make it stronger, and it would be awesome.)

Bonnie Sasaki envied the citizens and visitors who passed through the garden city of British Columbia's (Cut "British Columbia") Vancouver Island with hardly a thought for the ample physical bacteria on every surface, let alone the intangible amaurobes that hitched a ride on every soul, stuck to the immaterial host like plant burrs. It had been a challenging reality for a recent science MA graduate (NO. See below) to accept at first, but the field agent of four years (NO. See below)who sat sipping her whisky on the rocks on the pub's summer patio was inured to the novelty.

I'm a little hooked. I like the idea of a germaphobe in a major city. I think you might be starting in the wrong place, though. Is something going to happen in this story? If so, start the story there. Don't introduce your character to me and then begin the events of the story. Do both at the same time.

As for my "NO" comments. You're writing a story from a quirky POV. I'm curious because you've made her quirky, therefore I'm quickly pulled into her head. And then you say things like "recent MA graduate" and "field agent of four years" and I'm rocketed out of your character's head. It's like you jumping into the story and yelling "Don't forget I'm here!" When writing from a strong POV (which I argue should always be done, there are those who disagree) root everything in that POV. Everything everything everything. If you character isn't actively thinking it, I don't want to know it. Keep me in that character's head.

And of course, this is all IMHO.

[This message has been edited by TheOnceandFutureMe (edited November 20, 2007).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

quote:

Keep me in that character's head.

Ah, I did step out of that, didn't I? Thanks

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

There was plenty to look at in downtown Victoria even without being aware of the ethereal bacteria teeming amidst it all.[Eh?]

Bonnie Sasaki envied the citizens and visitors who passed through the garden city of British Columbia's Vancouver Island with hardly a thought for the ample physical bacteria on every surface[Mental rest], let alone the intangible amaurobes that hitched a ride on every soul[Eh?], stuck to the immaterial host[Huh? How can something stick to an "immaterial" host?] like plant burrs. It had been a challenging reality for a recent science MA graduate[Who is this?] to accept at first, [but the field agent of four years<--Who is this? What kind of "field agent"?] who sat sipping her whisky on the rocks[Apparently, not the kind of "field agent" who isn't supposed to drink on duty.] on the pub's[What pub?] summer patio was inured to the novelty[What novelty?].

She wasn't on duty[Oh, she's not?] just now, but a great percentage of her fieldwork was so similar to the rhythm of daily life[Static.] that she

Okay, you've got three People--Bonnie, a recent science MA graduate, and a field agent--who are sitting in a pub. Got that. (Sounds like the beginning of a joke.) But, what are they doing? What is happening? And how do they feel about it?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 20, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.