Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Opening of "The Dragon and the Silver Tree," a finished story fantasy story.

Author Topic: Opening of "The Dragon and the Silver Tree," a finished story fantasy story.
WetherbyOwl
Member # 4967

- posted      Profile for WetherbyOwl   Email WetherbyOwl         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a sequel to the short story "Regn's Rain."

Jutt stared into the fire, his harp on his lap, waiting. He could see the people fidgeting, sighing, yawning. The innkeeper stood at the back of the group, idly wiping crumbs from the long wooden tables. Jutt waited, gazing deep into the heart of the coals. The fire bloomed and wreathed, grew and shrank; like rain driven by wind across the flat rocks. And the story came to him.

He struck a chord on the harp. “I have traveled much,” he said. He sensed several people stir; whether in disbelief, or simply because he had waited long to start, he could not tell. “I have heard many tales.” Another chord. “And I have seen many things worthy to be sung.” Jutt paused. The sound of the fire filled the silence. Jutt did not mind silence. “I will tell of dragons,” he said at last.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArCHeR
Member # 2067

- posted      Profile for ArCHeR   Email ArCHeR         Edit/Delete Post 
Two quick notes before I go off to bed:

-I keep wanting to read Jutt as Just, and it's a BIT confusing. I'd change it to Jut, even if it is a verb

-Jutt's dialouge is intended to be poetic, yes? I'd try and keep the syllables in line, like so:

"I have traveled much

And heard many tales

And seen many things

Worthy of a song."

Iunno, it's 5:45 in the morning. Just some thoughts...

Posts: 341 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Must get to work soon, but a quick crit before I start analyzing financials....

You're starting one and a half paragraphs too early, in my opinion. It seriously only took two sentences, but I was having the same response to your story that the crowd was to Jutt's decision to sit and wait for a while before singing a song. Have him do something. To be honest, a crowd of drunken revellers in a medeival/fantasy bar would not sit quietly and hope that the performer before them would, eventually, start singing. Granted, they might hold their silence for a very well respected singer/troubador, but not in the bored way you're describing. They would loudly and raucously demand to be entertained. Somewhat like I am now.

"The fire bloomed and wreathed, grew and shrank; like rain driven by wind across the flat rocks." This imagery doesn't really work, and is just advanced hand-waving while you attempt to conjure up some atmosphere.

My big suggestion would be to start with "I will sing you a song of dragons," or some variation on that, and work the rest of these details in as he sings the song. Get us involved with the story, don't hold us back at arms length just because your main character is too self-absorbed to bother to entertain us.

That being said, I might read on for another page or two to see if things improve - the writing is technically pretty good, which will usually garner a few more pages out of me.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, I was a bit let down. I waded through some boring paragraphs only to read that the story would be about dragons. After that buildup, dragons are a bit tired (overdone). Weredingos would have been better (sorry, had to say it. Had to.)

First, I agree on the name Jutt. Nothing wrong with monosyllabic names--I'm fond of them myself, but I kept seeing Jeff or Just.

Nothing happens through most of the paragraphs. I get that this harpist probably has to "wait for the story", but he should do something. Could he have a little ritual? Or maybe he could be thinking? Waiting is mentioned twice in the first paragraph, and it --I have to say--is a bit of a snooze. Waiting has little tension.

So, I would say spice up the dragon angle a bit. Is there something else that could be sprinkled on top to make readers/listeners salivate a bit? And I would say add some action (or just start with the last line.)

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, the post is called, "The Dragon and the Silver Tree." So I guess I should have been expecting dragons. But really, I want to hear about the Weredingos. The dragons...not so much.

I agree with both lehollis and matt, particularly about the point where you choose to start the story. I got bored as I waited to get sucked into a story that started with people being bored about waiting to be told a story...

Sorry, I would probably not read beyond here....

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited December 06, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited December 06, 2007).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand what others have said about the difficulty with the name "Jutt". However, it's much easier to read than Anyanwu (Octavia Butler's "Wild Seed"). And I like the name, myself. "Jutt" gives me a good mental picture of the character in advance, which I appreciate.

Also, I found the build-up, rather than being disappointing, to be rather interesting. I'm not sure of the analogy used that compares fire to rain - that one caused an abrupt halt to my reading, as I stopped to try to imagine what that meant.

However, I would like to read the rest of the story, if you would allow me to. Very interested. Even the title, as it stands, peaks my interest.

You can contact me at bigdawgpoet@gmail.com

Thanks for posting!

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Jutt sounds suspiciously like Jack, the all time favourite name for a male protagonist. It's got four letters, on syllable and begins with J.

I always want to call my protags Jack. And I have...and Jace, and Jork...never Jutt, though.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WetherbyOwl
Member # 4967

- posted      Profile for WetherbyOwl   Email WetherbyOwl         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your comments so far. Many of you seem fixed on the name Jutt. It's an Estonian word meaning "story," which is why I used it.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.