Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Standing at the Intersection, 500 Words, needs readers

Author Topic: Standing at the Intersection, 500 Words, needs readers
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an expanded, re-worked version of something I posted in the Micro-Flash challenge area. Here are the first 13, and it would be great to have some readers.

Thanks,

T2

Standing at the Intersection of Good Luck Boulevard and Constant Sorrow Lane

The onslaught of late-April rain forced our retreat from the outdoor park. The next best place for a four-year-old to run off steam was at the indoor playground. There must have been fifty kids at the mall that Saturday afternoon, all of them shrieking at the top of their lungs. While I have no empirical evidence, I firmly believe that there is a direct correlation between the joy and the volume of a child.

The girl was Jesse’s height – maybe a little taller. They couldn’t have been more different. My frazzle-haired, tow-headed tom-boy was dressed in worn jeans and a long-sleeved T-shirt. There was a smear of mud on Jesse’s left knee, and one of her sleeves was rolled up past her elbow, while the other hung below her fingertips. In contrast, the girl was like a

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited December 11, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by First Assistant (edited December 12, 2007).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
Sound nifty. I'll take a peek.

Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a gander. Send it along.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
You have some good imagery here for me. There is a slight disconnect though that happens after the third sentence. Up until this point I have no idea that the story is being told from the first-person perspective of the mom. The first sentence sounds almost as if it's going to be told from the four-year-old's perspective (despite the fact that you used the word "onslaught"). Make this more clear, earlier. I love the last sentence of the first-paragraph. Genius. Luck with it.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post 
Readers you want, readers you got. Send it along whenever! :-)
Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Revised first 13. Also want to thank those who have already provided feedback. VERY helpful.

The onslaught of late-April rain forced my daughter and me to retreat from the outdoor park. The next best place for a five-year-old to run off steam was at the indoor playground. There must have been fifty kids at the mall that Saturday afternoon, all of them shrieking at the top of their lungs. While I have no empirical evidence, I firmly believe there is a direct correlation between the joy and the volume of a child.

The girl was Jesse’s height – maybe a little taller. They couldn’t have been more different. My frazzle-haired, tow-headed tom-boy was dressed in worn jeans and a long-sleeved T-shirt. There was a smear of mud on Jesse’s left knee, and one of her sleeves was rolled up past her elbow, while the other hung below her fingertips. In contrast, the girl was like a

[This message has been edited by First Assistant (edited December 12, 2007).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MasterTrek
Member # 7272

- posted      Profile for MasterTrek   Email MasterTrek         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked it. Send it on over.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.