Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rats.....

Author Topic: Rats.....
Darth Petra
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for Darth Petra   Email Darth Petra         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a title yet. It's about rats.

Regera was dreaming. His mate, Eran, could tell by the way he was moving strangely in his sleep. He often had strange dreams from Rattus. Eran wondered what the rat god was telling him now.
Regera jerked again in his sleep, and then opened his eyes.
“There was a new litter born,” he said. Regera didn’t need to explain any more. Eran knew that the new king had been born in that litter. Some day, the pup would lead the family.
“I must go to the nursery,” Regera crawled from the nest and down the tunnel.
“Sire,” the sleep door guard jerked himself awake.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, this is interesting.

Is the piece ready for readers?

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Petra
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for Darth Petra   Email Darth Petra         Edit/Delete Post 
No, it's not ready at all. I've got bits of a beginning, a whole middle battle sequence, and a bit of the end. I'm filling in the holes.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

We find that Regera has 'heard from' Rattus more than once...

quote:
Eran wondered what the rat god was telling him now.

...which, on the surface, is a good way to get me interested in the story (I've always been curious about the subject of meanings and messages derrived from dreams), but the sentence, as written, loses so much potential. Consider mentioning the content or topic of a past dream, or the theme of consecutive dreams, to establish in the reader's mind why being spoken to by Rattus is important / traumatic / horrifying.

My opinion not withstanding, it's an interesting start.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya .

Well, I've always liked animal-based stories (Watership Down, Duncton Wood, etc), so I was bound to be interested by it.

No huge complaints, just a couple of things. Firstly, the name 'Rattus' is a little predictable for me, though others might not agree. Next, 'Eran knew that the new king had been born in that litter' seemed a little... unexpected, I suppose, especially since she's just been wondering what the rat-god is telling Regera. How does Eran know that the new king had been born? Lastly, '“I must go to the nursery,” Regera crawled from the nest and down the tunnel. “Sire,” the sleep door guard jerked himself awake' - NOW I'm a little confused. Is Regera the current King? That's how I'm reading it, because the door guard seems to call Regera 'sire' as he walks past. That wouldn't make any sense, because that would make Eran the queen, and she'd obviously know about it if 'a new litter was born' (since she'd be doing the birthing).

Hopefully I'm just being dense and misreading it for that last point. Anyway, I'm still interested and would read on. Hope this helped .

[This message has been edited by bluephoenix (edited December 22, 2007).]

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Petra
Member # 7126

Thanks everyone. This isn't my first attempt at anthropomorphic stories...hopefully, this will go somewhere.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.