Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Exterminator

Author Topic: The Exterminator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all:

This is another WIP, but I thought I'd get some opinions on the hook. Right now I'm about 750 words into what I expect to be about 4,000.

Thanks in advance,

His footsteps padded behind me, nearly silent except for the occasional soft crunch of loose pebbles on the damp, broken concrete. The poor schmuck probably thought he was being quiet.

That’s right, buddy. You can do it. Get your dumb ass up here and rob me…

I was wearing “not quite an urban war zone, but almost as bad” camouflage. For me, that consists of an old-fashioned three-piece suit and cracked leather shoes. I’d also let the sides of my hair grow out, which gave me a middle-aged, bald man’s tonsure. My ensemble was topped off with a little padding around the middle and a pair of broken glasses that I’d studiously taped across the nosepiece. I’m probably the only exterminator you’ll ever see who looks like your grandpa. That

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigdawgpoet
Member # 7046

- posted      Profile for bigdawgpoet   Email bigdawgpoet         Edit/Delete Post 
The story is definitely interesting. I would probably not allow your POVC to address your reader quite so blatantly in the middle of an action scene, while you, the writer, are still trying to hook the reader (i.e., the line where the POVC tells the reader that we probably won't see another exterminator that looks like our grandpa). We can see, from his description of his clothing, that he looks like our grandpa.

Other than that, nicely done. I'd be happy to read it, regardless how long it turns out. Let me know! :-)

~Ben

Posts: 65 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds very interesting to me. I'm hooked.

And I don't have a problem with the part where you address the reader. I think helps develop this guy's sarcastic, callous voice, which is what really hooked me.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MasterTrek
Member # 7272

- posted      Profile for MasterTrek   Email MasterTrek         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with wetwilly. Let me know when you finish it. I'd like to read it.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested. I'll read, if you like, but I probably won't be able to get it back to you until the end of the week.

What struck me as odd was the contrast between the action and the sudden concern about fashion. While this introspection does introduce character, it just felt a bit abrupt and out of place. maybe you can find a way to weave it in so it feels more like an organic turn of attention? The thoughts in between didn't bother me.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Annepin I was a little thrown by the "how I'm dressed" stuff. A three-piece suit did not seem to me appropriate camouflage for an urban war zone, and I had to look "tonsure" up in the dictionary. I don't mind looking things up but I think this is a really obscure word--and then I wondered how you could have a tonsure if you're bald: it's just the bald bit that's left after shaving off just the top of an otherwise full head of hair, right? Anyhow, a distraction from the action.

Also, I'm with bigdawgpoet on addressing the reader. I never met any of my grandparents. I have one picture of one grandfather. Taken in the 20s it shows him with a full head of jet-black, slicked-back hair, a waxed handlebar moustache and a proud "look at me in front of this new-fangled camera" look frozen onto his face that would never, ever fit in an urban war zone. So when I read "I’m probably the only exterminator you’ll ever see who looks like your grandpa," I jerked out of the story thinking, "I doubt very much that you look like my never-fade-in-the-crowd grandfather."

That's the problem with addressing the reader: you don't know who the reader is, nor their background; everyone's grandpa is different and some may not fit with what you're trying to say.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
supraturtle
Member # 1518

- posted      Profile for supraturtle   Email supraturtle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a sucker for works in progress. Send it.
Posts: 121 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.