Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Roots as Deep as Mountains, 2100 words

Author Topic: Roots as Deep as Mountains, 2100 words
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all:

This is a short story I've been working on. It is 2,100 words and ready for readers.

I am planning on entering this in a contest, so cannot post any portion of it on this forum. However, here is a brief synopsis...

When Esther was eleven, the world as we know ended. After the planes crashed and the white powder started killing folks, she and her Grandma ran for their lives.

For the last 14 years, Esther her Grandma have lived in a secluded little cabin in the mountains above Jerome, Arizona. The only time they see other people is on their annual supply trip to Jerome. When her Grandma dies, Esther leaves the cabin, hoping to start a new life in Jerome.

But the fates, it seems, have other plans. When Esther reaches Jerome, she doesn't find the answer to her dreams. But sometimes, the unexpected turns out to be better than we'd hoped.

[This message has been edited by Igwiz (edited January 31, 2008).]

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, send it my way. let me know if there's a deadline you're trying to reach, though a piece that short I could probably turn it around in a few hours.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Infernal
Member # 7770

- posted      Profile for Infernal   Email Infernal         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just wondering, why can't you put a story up on here that you plan on submitting for a contest?
Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I'm just wondering, why can't you put a story up on here that you plan on submitting for a contest?

1) It constitutes publishing the story.

2) It's against the rules of Hatrack, and would get trimmed.

Though, I don't know why the first 13 lines or "any portion" is in effect; unless it has to do with contest rules.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
Totally about the contest rules. Only password protected sites apply, and while you need a password to post, you don't need one to read here.

They aren't explicit, but I don't want to inadvertently break a rule.

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Makes sense, it would be terrible to work on a story then find yourself disqualified.

Send it over my way, I'll give it a look.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LCastle
Member # 7363

- posted      Profile for LCastle   Email LCastle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll look too.
Posts: 100 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.