Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Holding back the sea, Gray/The letter from Fallworld (several thousand words so far)

Author Topic: Holding back the sea, Gray/The letter from Fallworld (several thousand words so far)
Feathersnow
Member # 7797

- posted      Profile for Feathersnow   Email Feathersnow         Edit/Delete Post 

I've been working on this world for a while, but this is the closest I've come to finishing a story. I have an outline of how it will end, and I would like someone to look at it so I can tell what is too confusing, or else flawed in some way. More immediately, however, I have, from what I've learned here, reworked the beginning from two long, tangential epigrams to the below and it would be very helpful to get some reaction. Please mention what you think I'm describing (so I know if I'm close to the right effect). I think this is within the limits, but I can't tell for sure with the software on this computer.

Holding back the sea, Gray

Five years before the Frost

Mangrove Tomorrow didn't dare mind being summoned like this, for no disclosed reason, to Corporation headquarters. He didn't let himself think about the complex ethical issues involved with the Corporation's creation and subsequent treatment and use of the Raptors. He could even evade noticing the assumption, arrogant as it was, that he, Mangrove Tomorrow, second decanted and third hatched of the first generation of the first cohort, infamous architect behind the "Haunted Ziggurat of Boise," had nothing better to do than hop a plane and fly to Denver and then hop a shuttle to the Corporation complex. All of these things were just facts of life, and he really did have nothing better to do.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are describing, the brain or C.E.O of a corporation that has managed to clone dinosaurs, and now sells them to Large futuristic amusement parks. There was a problem with one of the raptors, and he has to do damage control. I first thought that the "Mangrove Tommorow" was the name of the Corp. Then I thought it was a computer program( mabye responsible for the creation) but then the POV seemed to tell me that he was indeed human. If so I question the name.

If I am somewhere close, I think it is an interesting premise. The piece seemed tangled to me. I had to think about the Name, and am still wondering about it.

After you had established it as Mangrove Tomorrow's POV
"he, Mangrove Tomorrow, second", was not needed.

I am terrible with edits, but one of the pros will be by in due time with some good suggestions.

Once again, I like where you are going, if you need a reader for the entire piece, send it along.

P.S if you are trying to establish what thirteen lines are, it is exactly what fits into the comment box without scrolling. Then you can go back and add your message.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE}
Mangrove Tomorrow didn't dare mind being summoned like this, for no disclosed reason, to Corporation headquarters. A bit awkward sentence structure. Try rephrasing it, or separating it into two sentences He didn't let himself think about the complex ethical issues involved with the Corporation's creation and subsequent treatment and use of the Raptors. Then why are we hearing it? He could even evade noticing the assumption, arrogant as it was, that he, Mangrove Tomorrow, second decanted and third hatched of the first generation of the first cohort, infamous architect behind the "Haunted Ziggurat of Boise," had nothing better to do than hop a plane and fly to Denver and then hop a shuttle to the Corporation complex. What? You kind of lost me there. All of these things were just facts of life, and he really did have nothing better to do.[/QUOTE]

I like the sense of unease in the paragraph, but you throw around a bunch of words that, as yet, have absolutely no meaning for your readers. A few words we don't understand, sure, but too many and we'll switch off. Try getting in the terms and such a little more gradually.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordmerchant
Member # 7778

- posted      Profile for Wordmerchant   Email Wordmerchant         Edit/Delete Post 
Taken as a whole, this left me completely breathless and unable to process all the information you presented at first read.

The sentences seem to me to be excessively long. Sentence #1 - 27 syllables. Sentence #2 - 40 syllables. Sentence #3 - I lost count at about 70. Sentence #4 - 20 syllables; the shortest of the lot.

There is an essay entitled "The Neural Lyre", which indicates the human attention span for the spoken word is approximately 3 seconds, which is roughly the time it takes to speak 10 syllables. Since we process words with the same brain areas, whether written or spoken, the same seems to hold true, in my opinion.

This is not to imply that ALL sentences must be 10 syllables or less, but it might be helpful to give your reader a moment or two of rest along the way.

url for "The Neural Lyre" http://joelorr.squarespace.com/the-neural-lyre-poetic-meter-t/

[This message has been edited by Wordmerchant (edited February 21, 2008).]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feathersnow
Member # 7797

- posted      Profile for Feathersnow   Email Feathersnow         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to thank you all for identifying a central flaw- at least to the beginning.

In the original draft I did two things differently than what I posted. The first was that I started with two long, largely irrelevant epigrams that I felt it wise to trim. In retrospect, I should have replaced them instead, because there is no other helpful way to start the story, as it's sadly obvious that I'm omitting a vital piece of context with which everything would more sense (I hope.) What would you say if I had started the story with this quote:

<i>"In the year [40 AF] the Corporation unvieled its most hubritic project yet, the creation of a sentient non-human race, allegedly revived dinosaurs, whose telepathy and disparity between months-long physical and intellectual maturation rates and decades-long psychological and sociological maturation rates made them ideal to serve as brain-linked servants to those few humans viewed worthy and compatible. To ensure the appeareance of basic compassion and the fact of greater demand, most raptors would be allowed to live free, extremely public existences. I am alone in seeing this clearly. All of my clutch-mates think I am insane for even thinking about these things, though they know them, too. The reason is clear: our minds are built for long meandering evasion and denial, human's for short blunt secrets and lies"</i>
Flax Equinox, private log dated [13 BF]
destroyed by Mangrove Tommorow, [12 BF]

---
The second thing I changed was replacing the word "laid" with "decanted," because I thought it made more sense.

Posts: 14 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
At a quick glance, your revision seems to add a whole lot of information upfront, so I'm commenting on the original before I read your revision.

I think Mangrove is one of the Raptors, one of the early models, if I follow the lab language. He works for or is somehow in the power of, the corporation that created the Raptors. I presume he is quite intelligent, both from the word choice of the text and the mention that he was the "architect" of the zigarat, which could mean the designer or a more general use of the word, like it was his idea.
He isn't happy about being called to corporate.
He is afraid of the corporation.
Some sort of problem with the "haunted zigarat" put him out of work.

After Juraseic Park, we all think "dinosaurs" when we hear raptor, but I don't know if that's what Mangrove is, or not, from the text.

This is an intriguing idea for a piece. I suggest we have more scene, rather than more exposition. I'm intrigued with how such a being would "hop on a plane." Could we see that? What was he doing when they called and ordered him to corporate? Could we see that? I love his name, by the way. Good job.
K--

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jo1day
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for Jo1day   Email Jo1day         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the premise of what's going on, but the second beginning suffers from some of the same problems as the first--you use such big words in such long sentences that it's tiring to read.

In some cases, the big words are necessary, when you're talking about technical specifications, etc. In others, they aren't--they just make the sentence sound bumpy and exclusive.

If you do have to use big words, try making the sentences shorter. That could solve some of the problems. As it is, clarity suffers.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
This may be informative, but is too complex to be reading for entertainment - like reading a scientific jounal. Give us the information in prose that is not so "weighty".

Also the term "raptors" left me a little confused becuase you later reference dinosaurs. When I think of raptors - my first thought is that of present day birds of prey, not dinosaurs.

The idea is interesting, it just takes too much effort to go through it.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited February 24, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited February 24, 2008).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feathersnow
Member # 7797

Thanks, all. I realize now that the problem is worse than I feared.

Kathyton, you are right on most of the particulars, and I agree that perhaps more action is what I need in this story, which does seem to have too much exposition.

That being said, I have come to he conclusion that I should rework the opening to a different (human or post-human) POV because I was playing off the idea of viewpoint by writing each character in a characteristic style. Or at least, reflecting alienness by writing in an alien manner. Please tell me if you think that, if you knew this, it might be easier to understand, or at least appreciate.
This idea was actually one of the two immediately relevant points of the second introduction. I guess the problem with that one was that it presented the most immediately important fact (Raptors have minds that are geared towards supression, think in ways that don't directly follow from language, and love long, complex parentheticals) subtly and at the end of a laundry list of things that sound cooler. And that list was tainted in that I was still writing it the way a raptor would.

This clearly needs work. Here's a completely different introduction:

Five years before the frost
J.J., post-human egoist guru and post-doc prodigy psychohistorian, sat at the food court, chopsticks nimbly picking peas from stir-fry in his right hand, stylus angrily scribllng a rant in his left. The neural upgrade was worth it.

Oh, but wait, the projections came back from the Taefl. The e-paper pinged silently the message. A deft flick maximized it over his most recent letter to the Thirteen and his faithful followers. They could wait another few years...

It had always bothered him that Beekeper and Jones had gone to much trouble to seed the earth with raptors, but made them sterile. It was almost as if they weren't taking the frost seriously. Or worse, they weren't taking <i>him.</i> seriously. What else weren't they telling him?

kathyton
Member # 7780

"Alien" POV is a big challenge, especially for a new writer. (I believe Faulkner once managed to use a cow as a POV character. My teacher said, "Don't try this at home. He was a professional!") Our initial goal is to engage that reader, through identification with the POV character or showing something so interesting, so compelling, he just has to read on. I think you're on the right road, with saving your alien POV until we're already into the story.
This is a scene of someone doing something, which is good. However, I think there are too many teasers -- unidentified people, places, and situations. Get us to care about, or at least be interested in, this multi-tasking guy who's lunch has just been interrupted by an important message.
Good luck,
K---

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Feathersnow

First, welcome to ouy disfunctional little family. Second, I think you probably have great idea for a story but it is suffering from 2 main issues, IMHO,

1)Info Dump - you are hitting us with too much information too soon. While this is a short story and you don't have a lot of time to develop the world, you still need to give the reader information in a way we can "gronk" while reading.

In the first version we are being told what Mangrove isn't thinking about. Why? Show me what he's thinking/feeling.

In the second version - we get a history lesson about the Corporation. Mangrove wouldn't write the history lesson in his journal. He knows it, so the information is being spoon fed to the reader, ie info dump. At the end there is a hook - "All of my clutch-mates" but I've tuned out before I get there.

The the third version - JJ, an entity with an impossibly long title, is having lunch and again, thinking about things he wouldn't naturally think about so you can tell the reader.

This one's a bit touch to chew too because you have at least fifteen new concepts: (1) post-human, (2) egoist, (3) post-doc, (4) prodigy (in this context); (5) psychohistorian; (6) neural upgrade; (7) Taefl; (8) e-paper; (9) maximized; (10) Thirteen; (11) his followers; (12) Beekeeper; (13) Jones; (14) seed the earth with raptors; and (15) frost. IMHO, this is too much for a reader to take in.

2)Nothing is happening. What's happening now? Why are we being told this story?

All that happens in the first version is - Mangrove Tomorrow walked down the hall at Corporate Headquarters.

The second version - is a journal entry and nothing happens. There isn't even the tension of walking down the hall.

The third version - JJ is eating and he gets a message that makes him wonder about what two other entities are thinking about.

Also, in the third version - in a world with people named Beekeeper, Taefl, Thirteen, it seems odd someone is named "Jones."

What happens in the story? Jump to something that happens. What happened at Mangroves's meeting?

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feathersnow
Member # 7797

I've been trying to balance three things, keeping the story fast enough to follow, intricate enough to make sense, and comprehensible. Now, at least, I've identified those three things, I didn't know I had a problem.

Try this new version of the third entrance. I'd like to think it addresses the major problems of the last attempt, and even helps give some context for the Mangrove scene. What do you think of the chacterization of J.J. though?

Five years before the frost
J.J., sat alone at the food court, nimbly picking peas from stir-fry with chopsticks in his right hand, stylus angrily scribllng an egoist manifesto in his left. The neural upgrade was worth it, he gloried in the sleek power of his post-human body.
The tablet pinged silently that he had a message. A deft flick of the stylus brought it up on the screen. Excellent. The problem he had entered on the Taefl had come back. At 25, he was already a post-doctoral student of psychohistory, which, at least in his mind, meant the machine-assisted divination of mysteries.
Nearly two lifetimes, 40 years, ago crazy old Beekeeper and Dr. Jones, who wouldn't take a post-human name, had, were desperate to prepare against the Last Frost of Winter. They needed

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited February 28, 2008).]

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, there are still too many new concepts, it's still too much of an info-dump, and not enough is happening. Also, there are no obvious stakes (no tension, nothing intriguing, nothing to compel us to read on).

We still have someone eating and writing and then pausing to think an info-dump about the world. Stop telling us and start showing us. Maybe have JJ interact with someone in a way that shows us some of these things. Also, you don't need to tell us everything at once. Tell us only what we need to know right then to understand what's going on right then and work the rest in later as it's needed to understand what's going on then.

Here is what I was thinking as I read your first thirteen:

What is a post-human body? Does it look exactly the same as a human body? What makes it post-human? I can't visualize this fellow at all--is he human-looking, dinosaur looking, a big ball of energy, or what? (Answer these questions, but show us rather than give us a dissertation on what the word means.)

What is an egoist and why is he writing a manifesto? Does this mean he's trying to start a religion based about him or "oneself"? Why is this important? What is a neural upgrade? Is he a robot? Did someone implant him with a new brain? Why do post-human bodies have "sleek power"? I assume that means he's not built like a body-builder, but it does imply that all post-humans have a set, unchanging body-type. How can a tablet silently ping (since "ping" seems to indicate a noise)? Is Taefl a message board, an internet site, the new name of the internet, a planet, or what? Why do I care that he's a post-doctoral student of psychohistory, and what is psychohistory anyway? (Is there any way to show this, like with someone interacting with him, instead of him thinking about his age and credentials?) What is "machine-assisted divination of mysteries"? At this point, I've stopped trying to process another set of meaningless (to me), confusing terms and have stopped reading.

As depressing as this critique may be, I hope it helped.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

I've been thinking about your piece over the past few weeks -- often people "write into" the story. The reader finds the real start of the story several paragraphs or even pages into the piece. If you'd like someone to look beyond the opening at the big picture, I'd be glad to see it. Just e-mail me.

Kathy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.