Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Last Treasure of Troy, historical fantasy

Author Topic: The Last Treasure of Troy, historical fantasy
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
996 words.

The Last Treasure of Troy

Deep within the bowels of Troy lay Priam’s greatest treasure; not even Henrich recognized its true worth. He only saw the beaten-gold crown, the electrum cups, and the bejeweled headdress that he’d unearthed.

The last he draped on me. “At last, Helene,” he said. He had called me Helene from the beginning. “You are honored as is your due.” He kissed me. I pulled away from him before he got his hopes up for more. We sat in our small tent by the dig in Hissarlik with our treasures, pulled from some stumbled-upon cache, strewn about us on the floor.

I saw the small sphere stuck among a rotting belt of sapphires and tarnished silver. It fit in the palm of my hand, a thing heavy enough to be of solid bronze. “What do you think this is,

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
OH OH OH, now I get your problem with my story. I stole yer stinkin name. lol. You must have been thinking "What's this Moron doing?"

Thats a pretty funny coincidence.

Like this BTW. Wouldn't fault it much. If you need a reader my hand is up.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
This one really didn't grab me. probably just a matter of taste. I couldn't point out any glaring flaws, but the line, "You are honored as is your due" struck me as off.

I don't know much of the story of Helen of Troy, but her being in a small tent seemed unbecomming. It may have been a matter of viewpoint that would later remedy itself, but even on expedition, I would expect her domicile to be elaborate, if not very comfortable.

The reference of "stumbled upon cache" referring to a dig site seemed contrary, but again could be rectified later. I would pass on this one.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this one seemed a little muted, I didn't really get a sense of excitement at finding the fabled city, it all seems a little matter of fact, especially for such a short story....having said that, I would definitely read on to find out what this last treasure actually is

Send it on if you like and I'll get straight on it.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I would keep reading. I will want to know how MC feels about Heinrich PDQ.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably betraying my woefull ignorance of the Illiad but are Henrich and Hissarlik Greek/Trojan names? Henrich seems Germanic to me, and Hissarlik screams Scandanavian.

Finally, should Henrich be given an identifier? Something like
"even Henrich, the treasurer,"

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Sorry about the title and stuff, tnwilz.

Bent Tree and smncameron, you bring up important points. I think I need to throw in some more modern references or something.

Thanks for comments and offers to read! Sending it straight-a-way.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and I'd be happy to read it as well.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could have her refer to Heinrich as Schliemann instead of Heinrich, and that might make the time and situation clearer to more readers.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

Wow, I really feel like a complete fool now. I guess Helene is just too close to Helen.
annepin
Member # 5952

Actually, I appreciate your confusion. It tells me maybe I haven't been clear enough in my set up. "Helene" is a slightly more Greek form of Helen, so I thought I'd use that. She's actually Sophia, his wife.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.