Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » How I Got My Wings

Author Topic: How I Got My Wings
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been having a hard time with this one. It is on a deadline for the fifteenth. If any one could do a quick turnaround on this, I would throw a feast in their honor.

“Look at him up there,” Michaels nodded up at Captain Yates. “More suited to posing for the media, than flying the Sojourner.”
I gave a little chuckle, half-hearted. I agreed with my crew mate that our new Captain was a vainglorious rookie. There he stood up on the platform with his million dollar smile, but my good news made it seem trivial--news that came straight from the Admiral’s mouth, not an hour before.
“Let’s go to Fumos guys,” I said to my three crewmates.
We walked up the ramp to the media platform, half way between the ground and the Sojourner’s sleek silver cabin. We stopped to pose for one photo. I glanced at the Captain’s wings on Yates’ lapel—gold trimmed titanium. It was easy to smile at the

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Bent Tree I could give it a go. Not great at line editing but can tell you what I think and if I got stuck anywhere. Depending on the size of it, could have it back to you Monday, monday night the latest. Email away if you want.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lscott
Member # 7870

- posted      Profile for lscott   Email lscott         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about this one excerpt or do you need someone to look at more of it?
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

The entry is about 2k Rough words. I need someone to give some feedback on the whole.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lscott
Member # 7870

Well, I'm entirely new to this process, but I'd be willing to try my best...if you'd like.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I love stories about flight and flying, so "How I got my Wings" is for me an immediately attractive title. Also, I like the idea of naming a ship "The Sojourner".

I'd suggest reordering the thoughts in the second para to make the connection between the chuckle and the news more clear. The half-hearted chuckle (and, "little" is "half-hearted", methinks, so one qualifier seems redundant) is presumably due to the good news from the Admiral, so maybe something like, "There stood our Captain, our vainglorious rookie with his million dollar smile. I chuckled with Michaels--but half-heartedly, because of the news from the Admiral, just an hour old."

The idea of the news followed immediately by "Let's go to Fumos..." made me think that the news was their destination of Fumos; yet nobody seemed surprised, diluting the effect of wondering what the news is.

I wondered at gold-trimmed titanium. I've always thought of titanium as light but not especially valuable (because it's a dull grey and doesn't glitter, I suppose) so I wasn't sure of the message that "gold-trimmed titanium" hinted at.

I'd read on because I'm intrigued by the millieu and the promise in the Admiral's news of a surprise.

I'd be happy to read and can get back to you in two or three days.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

My hook got cuttoff at the end. As this is for a contest, I am ot concerned with the typical 13 format. He is in fact excited about getting his captains wings when he completes this mission. He ends up getting wings, but in a far different way.
lscott
Member # 7870

I got stuck at the same place in the excerpt: "There he stood up on the platform with his million dollar smile, but my good news made it seem trivial..."

It just seemed like a "hitch" in the writing that stopped my attention and made it difficult to keep reading, in the back of my mind, still wondering what one had to do with the other.

I am sure that reading more of it might help.

monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have a read if you want, should be able to get it back to you pretty quickly.
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonbeauchene
Member # 7823

- posted      Profile for jasonbeauchene   Email jasonbeauchene         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and send it to me. I can get it back to you in the next few days.

backinpoint@yahoo.com

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
My main question is: how do you get a deadline?

I'll read.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.