Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Little Giants--Fantasy

Author Topic: Little Giants--Fantasy
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Crits on the first thirteen only for now.

Thanks!

Hedra von Melroth walked briskly in the waning light. She kept her knees up knowing that the first thing eyes lose in the dark is the ability to judge depth. Many a warrior had broken an ankle in a shallow hole that would have posed no threat by daylight and at Hedra's age recovery from injuries was iffy at best. The wind nipped her cheek where her matted hair failed to protect it and down by the river the weeping birds sang, piercing the air with a cry of loss and regret.
The hero sighed, wondering if she'd have to sleep in the forest again. Her bones suffered from the damp. Lately, it took her several minutes of stretching to regain full mobility in the mornings. It was one of those things she never mentioned, like the way her sword, Brice, felt heavier in her hand with each

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 11, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Sara Genge (edited April 14, 2008).]

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Her bones suffered from the damp

Perhaps it is just me, but this read awkward. Sounds like "the damp" is the condition she suffers from. Minor in any case and I may be wrong.

This is very well written. Perhaps not as "Hooky" as it could be, but I was mildly interested and would give it a try.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting style change for you. It has "Princess Bride" feel to it for me. I'm almost expecting that this will turn out to be a story within a story because it’s such, what’s the word, traditional fantasy, I guess. Unusual fantasy birds, a sword with sort of typical sword name. You refer to her as ‘the Hero.’ Far more scene setting than any real hook. Hmm, knowing you a bit – I’m gonna guess this is not the actual reality of the story. Although I also doubt that this is grandpa reading to his sick grandson because that would so not be your style. This is a case of knowing the writer a bit and thinking this is going to be interesting, she’s playing with her fans a little here. If it were anyone else I’d exhale loudly at its stereotypicality. Is that a word?

Another thought, perhaps it’s a sort of “unforgiven” thing where you take a typical fantasy hero and make her more real and vulnerable. Aging, aching etc.

Its funny that just the fact that its you dangling a line is hook enough.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Hedra von Melroth walked briskly in the waning light. She kept her knees up knowing that the first thing the eyes loose in the dark is their ability to judge depth. Many a warrior had broken an ankle in a shallow hole that would have posed no threat by daylight and at Hedra's age recovery from injuries was iffy at best ”iffy at best” sounds awkward. “a slow and painful business” perhaps?. The wind nipped her cheek where her matted hair failed to protect it and down by the river the weeping birds sang, piercing the air with a cry cries?of loss and regret.
The hero strange word choice / PoV, unless there is more to this than meets the eye sighed, wondering if she'd have to sleep in the forest again. Her bones suffered from the damp. Lately, it took her several minutes of stretching to regain full mobility in the mornings. It was one of those things she never mentioned, like the way her sword, Brice, felt heavier in her hand with each

The lines read well, for me (some minor tweaks suggested).

I am not picking up on the promise of anything beyond the generic, though. What stands out the most is the word, “hero”, and the unusual PoV that the use of the word implies. If you are doing something clever here, you might want to hint at it more strongly up-front. If you're not, I'd personally like more reason to care about the character and the scene in order to keep on reading.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Somehow, in just 13 lines you have, at least for me, provided enough information about the character that for me makes her the hook. I want to know more about her. I also want to know why the birds are weeping with loss and regret. Very well done, as usual. I like it.
Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
I also thought "The hero" was a strange choice of words.

I also wanted to know why the birds are weeping with loss and regret. I'm assuming you mean it literally from the way the sentence is worded, so I find this a promise of a unique world.

I like that the heroine is aging and wise, which is different from most traditional fantasy heroines.

I like traditional fantasy, so would have read on with the assumption that this is traditional fantasy about an aging heroine in a unique world.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to aree with nitewriter. I think the character herself is interesting enough that you want to know whats up with her.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
I also agree with nitewriter.

The character and the obvious set-up of realism as opposed to heroic glossing have me in. I think it's a bit wordy, not as smooth as it could be, but the premise caught my interest.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

- posted      Profile for Sara Genge   Email Sara Genge         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone!

I'll try to make it leaner and meaner.

Posts: 507 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

So was i right or what?
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sara Genge
Member # 3468

No, you weren't. This is the story, but I'll admit it's not conventional Sword and Sorcery.
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Darn it. Thats the second time I've been wrong. This happened before back in the late eighties.

I had to get all new friends.

(wanders off mumbling)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.