Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Working Title: They Know

Author Topic: Working Title: They Know
Craigrs
Member # 3616

- posted      Profile for Craigrs   Email Craigrs         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the start of a short story that I have been writing I am at around 3000 words and near completion. Just interested in the reaction to the first 13. I would also like to know if you would continue reading.
Nearly out of breath, Davis finally found Dr. Steffen just outside the docking ring leaning against the wall, rubbing his eyes, slowly sliding to the ground. Steffen looked like he'd just given up on life.
“Dr. Steffen, sir?” said Davis trying to conceal the shock he felt over seeing “Ironheart” Steffen in this kind of state. “The captain sent me to find you sir.”
“It would seem Mr. Davis, that you have found me.” Straightening himself Steffen continued. “Care to inform me what our illustrious captain requires of me?”
“He would like you to be there when we open the hatch sir.”

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 

Definitely, just to find out the answer to: open what hatch? On what?

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd skip or reduce paragraph 3. ("It would seem you have found me...") All it adds, in my view, is an image of Steffen straightening himself.

I strongly recommend doing your best on the punctuation *before* posting -- give it to us as close to what an editor would see, as you can.

I'd keep reading, to find out what's wrong with Steffen.

Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got two hooks! Well done.

Can't say I've ever seen short story to do it quite so well as you have.

First, I wanna know what's up with the slouching officer, and second what's under/behind the hatch.

Grammar is improving as well. Keep up the good work.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Nearly out of breath, Davis finally found Dr. Steffen just outside the docking ring leaning against the wall, rubbing his eyes, slowly sliding to the ground. (This sentence feels a bit choppy. Plus, I don't think we care too much about Davis. Could be tightened up, like "Davis found Dr. Steffan just outside the docking ring, leaning against the wall, rubbing his eyes and slowly sliding to the ground.) Steffen looked like he'd just given up on life. (Can delete this sentence. You're telling us what you just showed us in the previous sentence.)
“Dr. Steffen, sir?” said Davis trying to conceal the shock he felt (his shock) over seeing “Ironheart” Steffen in this kind of state. “The captain sent me to find you sir.”
“It would seem Mr. Davis, that you have found me.” Straightening himself Steffen continued. “Care to inform me what our illustrious captain requires of me?” (I like this line -- it shows a lot of the character of Steffen)
“He would like you to be there when we open the hatch sir.”

Yes, I would continue reading.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Steffen is sounding a lot like CSI: Miami's Horatio Caine. Not a bad thing, necessarily, but the dialogue does sound a touch canned.

Over all I'd read on. You've got a good hook in the hatch, Davis's reaction to Steffen's appearance, and Steffen's fatigue: all hint at an interesting set up.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.