Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Sci-Fi - Hopefully Humorous

Author Topic: Sci-Fi - Hopefully Humorous
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
It's going to evolve into a satire of mandatory sentencing (exciting!). I'm not quite ready to have the second part read, but the first part is done, and should be able to stand alone. If you'd like to read it, it's under 500 words, and I'd love your comments.

But without further ado, here's the decidedly non-funny, non-satirical first 13.

quote:

The young reporter pushed his way through the throng to the microphone at the front of the hall. The prime-minister waved at him from the podium and he began.
“Er… Mister Prime Minister, any comment on the Waxfort Affair”
Henry Waxfort had been a prominent judge and Liberal party supporter, until he had been caught accepting bribes and drugs for acquittals.
“Mr. Waxfort’s problem is that he is human” said the Prime Minister, and sat down.
“Er… can you elaborate.”

The prime-minister remounted the podium. He gestured to his cabinet standing behind him.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....is there a reason he sits down, then "remounts" the podium? that seems a little odd and uneccesary unless its leading into something.

quote:
The young reporter pushed his way through the throng to the microphone at the front of the hall. The prime-minister waved at him from the podium and he began.
“Er… Mister Prime Minister, any comment on the Waxfort Affair”

I would do

The young reporter pushed his way through the throng to the microphone at the front of the hall. The prime-minister waved at him from the podium. “Er… Mister Prime Minister, any comment on the Waxfort Affair” the young reporter began.

Well..thats not really right either. But I think the "he began" should be at the end of the sentence, and we should have some atribution of the dialogue to the reporter, rather than the prime minister.

I'll have a look at the 500 words you mentioned if you like.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right. That seguence is a legacy of the way I first wrote it.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicerSimon
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for NicerSimon   Email NicerSimon         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, one problem though with the reporter beginning both his statements with "Er". Definately works in the second sentence, but it is awkward in both. Other than that, it's intriguing. I wouldn't mind reading if you want to send it.
Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PaulUK
Member # 7906

- posted      Profile for PaulUK   Email PaulUK         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that the first 'Er' is a bit awkward, but the rest seems pretty good to me; if I picked it up in a magazine, say, I'd read more.

I'll have a look at what you've got, if you like.

Regards,

Paul

Posts: 55 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmccoy
Member # 7930

- posted      Profile for mrmccoy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Henry Waxfort had been a prominent judge and Liberal party supporter, until he had been caught accepting bribes and drugs for acquittals.

This sentence seems to come from a narrator and interrupted the flow as I read it. There's also no sense of the time frame for the crimes...

Consider working the Waxfort crimes into the dialog. The reporter's original question may elicit some emotional response from politician: anger, discomfort, gloating, etc. Then the reporter can start to read off the list crimes, again the reader gets to see a reaction.

I'd be hooked if Mr. Waxfort's problem is that he is a human.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.