Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Wages of Decay

Author Topic: The Wages of Decay
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 

Added slightly tweaked version at the bottom. The whole thing is just over 3k.

Heres another "rusty" story. It has a little bit of ickyness but nothing too bad. Would love some volunteers to read it all, or comments on this fragment bearing in mind I like to talk through things.

Its meant to feel a little weird, and the protaganist is meant to be rather strange.

Peter walked up to the tall, worn out tenement building. It was brick, with large windows, several of which were broken. All of them were dirty, and some looked into empty rooms with cracked yellowing walls and floors littered with debris. There were large rusty culvert drains full of trash around the base of the building. Peter often looked at the drains and wondered what might be down there in the metal, dirt and concrete bowels of the building. Of course, Peter thought a lot of strange things some times.
Peter noticed there were police cars outside the building,
But that wasn’t unusual between drug busts, assaults and robberies, all of which were common here.
He walked into the building, and began climbing the rickety stairs.

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited May 03, 2008).]

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wbriggs
Member # 2267

- posted      Profile for wbriggs   Email wbriggs         Edit/Delete Post 
Not hooked yet. I'd cut the description of the building a bit, and possibly go deeper into Peter's thoughts.
Posts: 2830 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slocum
Member # 7925

- posted      Profile for slocum   Email slocum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Peter walked up to the tall, worn out tenement building. It was brick,## comma not needed ## with large windows, several of which were broken. All of them were dirty, and some looked into empty rooms with cracked yellowing walls and floors littered with debris. There were large rusty culvert drains full of trash around the base of the building. Peter often looked at the drains and wondered what might be down there in the metal, dirt## American English usually requires a comma after 'dirt'. British English usually doesn't. What's your target market? ## and concrete bowels of the building. Of course, Peter thought a lot of strange things some times.
But that wasn’t unusual between drug busts, assaults## See above comment on 'dirt' ## and robberies, all of which were common here.
He walked into the building,## comma not needed before dependent clause ## and began climbing the rickety stairs.

I agree that I'm not hooked and want more of Peter.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
It got me. It was subtle, but interesting. I like the descriptions of the building. This scene setting and the fact that the MC noticed the bust, but didn't get too flustered or excited seemed compelling to me. I would read on to see what this guy is about.

I think some of the prose could be smoothed out some.

"But that wasn’t unusual between drug busts, assaults and robberies, all of which were common here"

this could be more concise. "All of which were common is retetition. it could be cut altogether. The voice of the POV could be stronger here also. His take on it. But this wasn't the everyday drug bust or beatdown. something to give him characterization.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited May 01, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It got me. It was subtle, but interesting. I like the descriptions of the building. This scene setting and the fact that the MC noticed the bust, but didn't get too flustered or excited seemed compelling to me. I would read on to see what this guy is about.

Ahh ha...you got it then. In these types of my stories, the setting, its look and feel, is as important as the characters...is almost a character in itself. And the "living" characters are generally a bit apathetic, enured to their enviroment etc.

Those factors, in themselves, are meant to be the hook in this type of story. But of course, it doesnt interest everyone.

One editor who rejected this told me she liked the style, but that she percieved no real conflict for the MC. She said she realized it might be intentional, and didn't say it was a bad thing...just that it didnt work for her. So I want to see what others think...if it works or not.

Later on, theres extensive characterization and introspection with Peter, which is also linked to the weird thing thats going on in the story.

Thanks for the input so far.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
just a nit of mine -- nothing crucial but instead of telling us the windows are broken and dirty could you make that more vivd perhaps?

Say...he reads "God sucks" written in black grime on a broken window pane or some other world setting phrase or partial phrase? That would paint three things rather than two for the reader.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
The first paragraph could be tightened up without losing the atmosphere. Don't tell us the building was "worn out", since you show us that fact in the subsequent lines. To make it more concise, you can combine multiple thoughts into the same sentence. How about something like:

Peter walked up to the tall brick tenement building. The large windows were dirty, but through the broken ones, he could see empty rooms with cracked yellowing walls and floors littered with debris. Peter looked at the large rusty culvert drains full of trash and wondered what might be down there in the metal, dirt and concrete bowels of the building.

Last line, suggest: He walked into the building and climbed the rickety stairs.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Ok, heres a slightly tweaked version, maybe a little smoother. I'm still in need of some full reads.

As BentTree mentioned or percieved, the fact that Peter doesnt really take much note of the police presence, his interest in the drains and the mention of his strange thoughts are meant to be the first little bits of characterization, and to get people interested. Any additional suggestions are apreciated.

Peter walked up to the tall, worn out tenement building. It was brick, its large windows dirty, many of them broken, revealing empty rooms with cracked yellowing walls and floors littered with debris. Around the base of the building were many large culvert drains. Peter often looked at the drains and wondered what might be down there in the metal, dirt and concrete bowels of the building. Of course, Peter thought a lot of strange things some times.
But that wasn’t unusual between the drug busts, assaults and robberies that happened almost every day. He walked into the building, and climbed the rickety stairs.

kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be happy to read it, if you still need readers and want to send it to me.

K---

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Sure, thank you.
Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Turn-about fair play. I'd be glad to read this for you. Send it over. And let me know how you prefer the critique presented - "Comments", in the body of the text... This is my first time.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.