Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » With No Roots of Their Own (SF 9k WIP)

Author Topic: With No Roots of Their Own (SF 9k WIP)
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my latest WIP. Right now, I am looking for comments on the intro, and perhaps a no rush volunteer for next week, when I have a revised draft.

quote:

Original
Hoisting is no task for girls. Otek’s words of discouragement still burned more than Leeta’s throbbing muscles. Why don’t you just transplant seedlings like your sister?
Leeta adjusted her rigging and snapped her harness to the anchor embedded in the massive trunk of the towering Ponka tree. Then swivelling upside down, she set her climbing spikes with a firm kick of each heel. Pulling the rope taut, she prepared to hoist a growing platform full of newly germinated seedlings three hundred meters, from the middle level to high in the light giving canopy.
Then came the shrill rhythmic warning call from one of the Vorian sentries above. Leeta quickly pried loose her heels,

quote:

Revision

Hoisting is no task for girls. Otek’s words of discouragement still burned more than Leeta’s throbbing muscles. Why don’t you just transplant seedlings like your sister?
Leeta adjusted her rigging and snapped her harness to the anchor embedded in the massive trunk of the towering Ponka tree. Then swivelling upside down, she set her climbing spikes with a firm kick of each heel. Having achieved solid leverage, she pulled the rope taut, and prepared to hoist a growing platform full of newly germinated seedlings three hundred meters, from the middle level to high in the light giving canopy.
Then came the shrill rhythmic warning call from one of the Vorian sentries above. Leeta quickly pried loose her heels,

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 29, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited May 30, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited May 30, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting conceppt and nicely done. I'm having a little trouble invisioning the movemments she's making but that couldd be just because I usually have trouble with that sort of thing.

Also "growing platform" sounds as if the actual platform is growinng> perhaps something like"a platform of newly germminated still-growing" seedlings or something.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
No big style crits, but I don't understand either why she would need to turn upside-down in order to haul seedlings 300m up a rope. Isn't she using some kind of pulley system?

I'm curious why there's gender bias in what I'm guessing is a spacefaring society more advanced than Earth. I'm hooked by the image of climbing massive trees on another world. I'm wondering whether the climbing spikes do the trees any damage, especially if this is a regular task.

It's taut, not taught.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Her anchoring upside dow was intented to convey the need for her to obtain leverage to hoist. I was wondering if that would come across properly.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, couldn't figure out why she had to be upside down.
I'll volunteer to read your draft when it is done.
Jon.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! I echo everyone else's thoughts about making her movement simpler.

I'd love to read it- sounds interesting.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I will get out the revised draft soon for those that offered. Thanks for all the comments.
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Heya . Not bad - you've caught my interest so far. Just a few line edits and suggestions:

Hoisting is no task for girls. Otek’s words of discouragement [strike]still[/strike] burned more than Leeta’s throbbing muscles. Why don’t you just transplant seedlings like your sister?
Leeta adjusted her rigging, [strike]and snapped[/strike] attaching her harness to the anchor embedded in the massive trunk of the [strike]towering[/strike] Ponka tree. Then swivelling upside down, she set her climbing spikes with a firm kick of each heel. [strike]Having achieved solid leverage, she[/strike] Leeta pulled the rope taut, [things get a little convoluted here - try to break up the sentence] and prepared to hoist a growing platform full of newly germinated seedlings three hundred meters, from the middle level to high in the light giving canopy.

Only other thing I'll say is that I'm having trouble visualising a 'growing platform of seedlings'.

I'd certainly read on, anyway. Hope this helps .
Daniel.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
BentTree,

This may be too late, considering it's been a few days since you thanked everyone. Take all of this as the opinion of a close reader and editor. Please don't take it as condescending criticism. I mean well, even though it's abundant and direct.

The two italic formatted sentences suggest that Leeta is thinking, interior discourse. Yet she's recalling direct discourse, dialogue. As potent as the words are, the formatting context required too much effort for me to figure out and stopped my forward movement in the story. Consider dialogue quotes instead.

Separating the causation of Otek's two phrases by their effect on Leeta disrupts the barely begun train of causation. Cause sentence, effect sentence, return to original cause sentence; new paragraph, new cause not immediately related to the original cause. Causation is disjointed. The connection between hoisting and tree climbing isn't made until the end of the second paragraph, causing another disruption in causation. I had to start over and found myself jumping around trying to figure out what Leeta is doing, what her predicament is, what her purpose is, and what besides sexual discrimination opposes her purpose.

[Throbbing] suggests anticipation, some sexual context too. Consider parallels or contrasts with burning muscles: cramped, charlie horsed, aching?

[her rigging] 'the rigging' gets away from unnecessarily possessive context and authorial direction of the action. It's obvious the rigging and harness are hers.

[snapped] made me think Leeta twanged a shock cord or the carabiner broke; 'clipped'?

There's a lot of movement and context in the 1st sentence of the second paragraph, but little causation or opposition, therefore little emotive appeal. Although it shows movement, it's not dramatic (causal) action. However, the context of the sentence provides character and setting description, milieu introduction, genre mode introduction, and the magnitude of the place and situation's scale. All to the good in my opinion.

I don't think [massive] and [towering] are coordinate adjectives. Actually, towering is a gerund adverb posing as an adjective while massive is plainly a descriptive adjective.

[Then] is a superfluous term in most cases, consider recasting the sentence. 'Swivelling upside down, she set her climbing spikes with a firm kick of each heel.'

[swivelling] has a connotation of horizontal rotation, consider 'flipping,' 'spinning,' or some such term which connotates rotation through the vertical axis.

[each heel] consider recasting to simplify, 'both heels.'

[Having achieved solid leverage] is a sharp rise in the language tenor compared to the rest of the excerpt, an awkward construct, and follows a sentence with similar syntax; gerund modifier clause, main clause, conjunction clause. Consider recasting and running into the previous sentence of which it is rightly an appositive clause. 'kick of each heel, planting a firm foothold and gaining solid leverage.'

That last sentence of the second paragraph is a train wreck run-on sentence. First she reflects on her achieving her desired position, next she prepares by tightening the rope, then she focuses on the meaning of the task. Consider recasting into smaller bits.

[prepared to hoist] infinitive verb construct and nearly a tautology of [pulled the rope tight].

[growing platform full of newly germinated seedlings] consider simplifying 'germination platform of seedlings'

[three hundred meters, from the middle level to high] another redundancy, an absolute measurement followed by a relative one of the same distance. Consider some such simplification as 'seedlings from the middle level three hundred meters to the high'

[light giving canopy] illogical, a forest or tree canopy blocks light.

[Then] again, at the beginning of the third paragraph, a superfluous term.

[Then came the shrill rhythmic warning call] Consider recasting the sentence with more robust verbs and simpler modifiers, like; 'A rhythmic warning shrilled'

[quickly pried] does she pry her heels out with a lever? consider simplifying and the preciseness of verb, 'ripped'

I'm confused about Leeta's orientation to the tree. I've got her upside down, but I'm uncertain whether she's facing the trunk or facing away. If she's got her heels dug in, I'm seeing her as facing away.

That last incomplete paragraph begins the inciting moment of the plot movement. Wonderful, having the inciting moment in the first thirteen lines is ideal. Danger is directly implied. I'm hooked and would read on, even though I would expect causation, tension, and opposition, the three corners of plot, to be less than ideally realized.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I suppose a new 'thank you' is in order.

Great comments, bluephoenix and extrinsic. You have both given me some new insight. Extrinsic, if I had an inner editor as knowledgable as you I might have more publishes.

I hope to have this one revised tommorow.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.