Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The ROE: Rules of Orbital Engagement

Author Topic: The ROE: Rules of Orbital Engagement
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
An ancient five-week-old draft of this story is up at Critters this week. Below are the current First 13 lines of 6500 words. Any comments are welcome. It's going into WOTF Q-3/08 soon. I've earned honorable mentions on my two to-date submissions to WOTF. Thanks.

---

Blasts of retro thrust settled the Crew Sortie Orbiter onto its assigned circuit. Golden skinned, three meters wide by twenty meters long, the pipe-shaped CSO thrust module came fresh off the factory habitat assembly line. Battle scars and micrometeorite impacts pitted the control capsule mated to the module.
Sunlight blinded the capsule's topside observation window. Beneath the pilot's feet, the belly window framed the blue and white planetary boulder. Second Warrant Officer Ladron Morales, call sign Laddio, sipped water from the tap at his chin. "Once more into the breech," he mouthed. "Dios mio, por favor, let it be the quiet sortie."
On Laddio's first sortie, the Stinger missiles that destroyed

---

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited June 05, 2008).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
Not particularly hooky, though well written enough to keep me reading.

"Sunlight blinded the capsule's topside observation window." Awlward at best. How can a window be blinded? Why not just give a description of the light flooding through the window?

"...blue and white planetary boulder." - "Asteroid" seems simpler.

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
First, I will mention my aversion to "Hard Science" and most "Space opera". That being said, you can measure the significance of my comments accordingly.

The prose is great. Stylistically, I found no flaws.

I would liked to have seen more of the characters.There seemed too many technical details and not enough human. I realize that scene setting was likely the motive here, but I like to see how the characters interact with the technology more than the tech itself.

This is likely a personal preference though. There were no holes in grammar.

Just my humble two appleseeds worth.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, as for me, I like space opera and action adventures. I’m a bit tired of how that seems to (almost) invariably mean military sf these days. I do like military fiction, I’m just tired of an unrelenting (almost) diet of it as space opera.

Anyway, no. You have not captured my interest. Why? I found the paragraph slow reading. You had too many details in the first paragraph.

Blasts of retro thrust settled the Crew Sortie Orbiter onto its assigned circuit.
Okay. I had to think here, but it wasn’t too bad. I figured out this is some sort of landing from orbit onto the shores of some other Normandy…ship.
Onto the next sentence.

Golden skinned, three meters wide by twenty meters long, (at this point I’m juggling several ideas trying to build an image here and it’s not easy for some reason) the pipe-shaped CSO (whoa! CSO – Oh, I look back and see it must be the Crew Sortie orbiter – but I had to stop and go look – not good for hooking or drawing me into your story) thrust module (another piece of the puzzle to insert at this stage. I feel like I’m holding one of those 3D wooden puzzles in my mind and I’m losing the it) came fresh off the factory habitat assembly line (this is so far off from the moment of the story! Don’t do this. Yes, I HAVE seen this description thingee done well, but you have too much distraction already – for me). Battle scars and micrometeorite impacts pitted the control capsule mated to the module.{and I have another couple of descriptive details that do not flow well as an image. I have to think rather than enjoy. About now I would have put your story back in the slush and moved on to something that reads more smoothly.)

Sunlight blinded the capsule's topside observation window.{Here you bring us back from the technical description to the here and now. I do agree with above comments that this, while more active, doesn’t really work) Beneath the pilot's feet, the belly window framed the blue and white planetary boulder. Second Warrant Officer Ladron Morales, call sign Laddio, sipped water from the tap at his chin (For me, these two details conflict. If he has stuff under his chin, I feel it likely there is a helmet and he probably can’t see a window in the floor all that well – just my instinctive feel). "Once more into the breech," he mouthed. "Dios mio, por favor, let it be the quiet sortie."
On Laddio's first sortie, the Stinger missiles that destroyed (No. Don’t do more background here. A real raconteur could get away with it, but your details are not that well formed and do not flow smoothly from one to the next. And learning about what happened to the pov last time is not intriguing at this point. You haven’t made me care about him or this story event…not yet.

Sorry I couldn’t be any real help here.

Oh, (written later) I see one of the big problems. Your writing, while technically correct, is rather dry and colorless. There is no sense of emotion in the descriptions or anything here.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited June 06, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scf
Member # 8017

- posted      Profile for scf   Email scf         Edit/Delete Post 
To me,the gung-ho opening is only promising a 6500 word gun fight. Not really the kind of story I like to read but if I'm wrong maybe the opening needs changing.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

No quarter given, nor asked for. Thanks for you-all's comments. I'll take every comment into consideration; digesting and addressing them takes time. Even the short-shrifted and rudely patronizing comments I've gotten from other venues are valuable--not that there's any of that callous treatment here--they're at least gut reactions. Just have to wade through the objectionable content to get at the heart of them. Elsewhere and here, comments have been all over the place.

"Too technical." Appealing to the audience's comfort zone needs attention. What one writing guru calls "rooting interest" is nonexistent in the opening, except for a very narrow audience's. Resonance is low, too, the story needs broader relevance to reader interests and experiences and desires.

"Dramatic action doesn't start soon enough. What's the opposition, what's the protagonist's goal, what's the causation, are some of the other questions implied that need more direct answering in the opening 150 words. The contrast between a factory-fresh thrust module and a battle scarred micrometeorite pitted capsule isn't apparent enough to introduce context for the protagonist's opposition, goal, or provide ample context for the First Cause.

Context of the term boulder is missed by all but a select few. Boulder refers to a marble larger than the regulation size. No one plays the playground game of marbles anymore. The misinterpretation of boulder tells me the metaphor is too obscure. Better context is needed.

For me blinded is what happens to a window bathed in glaring sunlight. It's too figurative amongst all the other overtly literal context. The boulder framed by the belly window is, of course, planet Earth. A boulder of the marble kind is what I conceptualized when I viewed a representation of Earth from a cislunar orbit in Celestia's 3-D astronomical rendering program.

No, it's not a gunfight. It's a one-sided missile shooting gallery where a mysterious flight of orbital fighters forces humanity to engage in space warfare and inhabit cislunar space sooner and with more risk than might occur in the ordinary course of human development. The story begins after the completion of humanity's frantic efforts to establish a functional presence in the combat theater. Laddio strives to overcome the enemy's tactical superiority.

This is a story that I'm almost up to. Meeting the challenges it presents will get me where I want to go as a writer. I've added a few tools to my skill set since I wrote the current draft of The ROE. Revisions will be substantive and brutal.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I love sci-fi and would read this story.

But(oh, theres that but), I would reduce the number of times the word sortie is used.

Comments along the lines of colorless and dry are sorta callous, but in this case perhaps correct--I'm not certain, that is a heck of a judgment on just thirteen lines.

In any case keep it up(can't have too many space adventures.)

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
You say this is on critters? Don't give me the title just the number and I'll look at it on there. I could use the credit.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

#15523. Thanks for your interest, snapper. I've since gotten several glowing reviews from members of what I consider the target audience. What an emotional roller coaster ride.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.