Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "The Worm of the Waste", horror/urban, 2.6k

Author Topic: "The Worm of the Waste", horror/urban, 2.6k
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 

Added a slightly differen version at the bottom.

So I was browsing on Duotrope, and found an upcoming anthology called "The Book of Tentacles." Now, I love me some tentacles, and of course at first I thought Lovecraftian. Then I thought, no, lets do something a little different...how about..a rusty/industrial story...with tentacles?

Anyway here is the begining. It is a little slow, but thats mostly intentional. I'd like thoughts on the begining, and volunteers to read it all when its finished. I'm thinking not over 5k.

Chris passed by the abandoned factory each day, and each day its hold on him grew. He would walk through the industrial district on his way home from the single tiny building and collection of ramshackle trailers they called a school. He could have taken the bus of course—the tenement where he lived was directly on its route. Chris preferred to walk, his long legs covering ground quickly and smoothly.
Even on the weekends, he would leave the apartment he shared with his booze-soaked mother, and walk into the industrial district. He would pass by all the active factories, smoke pouring from their chimneys, the grinding of their machines beating like some mechanical pulse. Finally, he would come to a stretch of chain link fence around a vast, deserted parking lot.

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited June 27, 2008).]

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right about the pace; it is slow. I like it for that, actually, because I think you use the time efficiently all the same. It feels like it's leading somewhere, and I'm attracted to the character of Chris even without a lot of action. However, this - "Chris preferred to walk, his long legs covering ground quickly and smoothly" - particular sentence bothers me. I think it's fine to say that Chris preferred to walk, but rather than give a physical description of how he walked (and a rather bland one at that), tell (or show) us why.

I also feel like the first sentence doesn't quite jibe with the rest of what you say. You mention the factory and then go into great detail about walking home and his mother. If you want the focus to be the factory, make it the factory. If you want to lead up to the factory, then start with the walking and put the factory in later.

Example: "Chris would walk through the industrial district on his way home from the single tiny building and collection of ramshackle trailers they called a school. He could have taken the bus of course—the tenement where he lived was directly on its route. Chris preferred to walk, his long legs covering ground quickly and smoothly.
Even on the weekends, he would leave the apartment he shared with his booze-soaked mother, and walk into the industrial district. He would pass by all the active factories, smoke pouring from their chimneys, the grinding of their machines beating like some mechanical pulse. Finally, he would come to a stretch of chain link fence around a vast, deserted parking lot. This was the real reason he chose to walk home every day." etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by Jesse D (edited June 27, 2008).]

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....you're probably right about that first sentence...it can probably just go, and let the whole thing begin with the next one. Nice catch there.

The bit about the legs also...yes I can think of couple of better ways to do that.

For me, the begining is often a little rocky, as the story starts telling me what it wants to do. It's becoming somewhat clearer now.

Just don't forget its [] brackets for quoting :-)

Many thanks for your useful comments.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

here's a slightly altered version of the begining

Chris would walk through the industrial district each day on his way home from the single tiny building and collection of ramshackle trailers they called a school. He could have taken the bus of course—the tenement where he lived was directly on its route. But Chris’s long legs allowed him to cover ground quickly if he wanted, so he preferred to walk. That was how he had come to notice the abandoned factory that had developed such a hold on his mind.
Even on the weekends, he would leave the apartment he shared with his booze-soaked mother, and walk into the industrial district. He would pass by all the active factories, smoke pouring from their chimneys, the grinding of their machines beating like some mechanical pulse.

Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Given the previous discussion, I was wondering whether it was possible to simply have Chris walk through the industrial area every day from school (unless the fact that he likes to walk rather than catch the bus is an important plot point in and of itself)?

The fact that he returns there on weekends shows how the factory has a hold on him and you have plenty of time later to show why it fascinates him.

[He would pass by all the active factories, smoke pouring from their chimneys, the grinding of their machines beating like some mechanical pulse.]

The fact that the smoke is pouring from chimneys implies that the factories are active, so you can save the grand total of a word there.

I’m not sure about sticking a simile in your first 13 either, unless it’s very, very strong and I’m worried that […like some mechanical pulse] will throw readers off before they’re committed. It might be worth saving your strong images for later in the story once the reader is hooked.

There’s not much foreshadowing of what kind of story this is going to be. Given your aims for the story, I wouldn’t mind seeing something in the opening that hints at disquiet or unease beyond the ordinary.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dude
Member # 1957

- posted      Profile for Dude   Email Dude         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the second version is better, but I really want to know why the place has a hold on his mind as soon as the hold is mentioned. As it is currently written we know the place has a hold on him, and then are told about his daily habits. Get to the meat sooner. I think it would be more effective a hook if the place, or hold, is described quicker. Basically, show me the "hold" instead of telling me.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I like the second version best.

I think the advice given here is pretty solid although I think that the imagery works the way it is. Also someone mentioned cutting the word active from [He would pass by all the active factories, smoke pouring from their chimneys]. I actually think it's needed. I think you are trying to draw a distinction there and for me, that distinction becomes softer without that word.

Send it on over when it's done. I'll give it a read.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I agree. I am writing this story in a particular style, partially inspired by another author and friend of mine...and yes, the "active" is needed.

I'll send it to you once its finished. Hopefully soon.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Can I get the title of this changed to "The Worm of the Waste", horror/urban, 2.6k" please?
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.