Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Anamnesis - SF approx. 6200 words

Author Topic: Anamnesis - SF approx. 6200 words
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Hope I've got the whole 13 line thing and formatting right. I'm looking for comments on the 1st 13 as well as hardy fools to look at the whole thing. It's a story I've had a lot of trouble with. Many thanks,

Nick

In Bill Tanner’s briefcase, he held the memories of three terrorists that he had killed. He knew that he should have gone straight to headquarters with them, but it was his twentieth wedding anniversary and he had not seen his wife for about a month. He took the diamond ring he had brought for her from his pocket and admired its sparkle. As he thought of her, he forgot about the mission and what he had done.

Just before the plane landed, he contacted his secretarial computer. “Where is Peggy?”
_Clarify_
“My wife.” There was a pause and the computer beamed the name of a restaurant where she had a twelve-thirty business meeting. Bill checked his watch.

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
This is pretty good. It got my attention.

Watch the; "he", "that", and "had's"...especially the he's, as there is only on POV character. You could make this punchier, by cleaning them up and sharpening verbs.

quote:
In Bill Tanner’s briefcase, he held the memories of three terrorists that he had killed. He knew that he should have gone straight to headquarters with them, but it was his twentieth wedding anniversary and he had not seen his wife for about a month.

In Bill Tanner's briefcase were the memories of three terrorist, dead by his hands. He was aware of the risk being taken by not returning promptly to headquarters, but it was his twentieth anniversary--and dammit-- he hadnt seen his wife in a month.

I'll read. Send it over.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi,

Great feedback, thank you. *Edit* Don't worry, I just figured out how to send you an email.
Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited June 26, 2008).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost hooked. For a moment I thought that "held the memories of three terrorists" meant he was carrying souvenirs or trophies of them, but then I decided to assume he's dumped their memories into some kind of fancy computer or something, for interrogation back at base. If that's the case, would he think of them as "memories"?

The second sentence reduced my engagement with the story. If he's more bothered about his wife than the memories, he doesn't sound committed to the issue (memories) that the first sentence hooked me with, so I'm less interested too. My interest fell further when he forgot about the mission. Now, instead of looking forward to hearing about the terrorists and their memories, I'm anticipating a scene of him meeting his wife in a restaurant; I'm no longer hooked.

It's rather distant. "Just before the plane landed" could be replaced with a sense of his surroundings as they make ready to land.

If it's his secretarial computer, wouldn't it know his wife's name? ("What?" she shouted. "You didn't even tell it my name?!")

How did it beam her location to him? Did he hear it in an earpiece, see it on a screen? Also, "where she had a twelve-thirty business meeting" feels like an infodump.

The premise is interesting, but it feels remote. We're not in there with Bill, seeing what he sees and feeling what he feels.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
As is usual, I'm not bothered by the "remote" bit...I'm more interested in the story itself.

I'm intrigued by the "memories" and feel as it is it could be trophies, could be their whole personalities, or possibly just their memories.

I do agree that a little about his computer...what shape it takes etc would be good.

Also you say the ring he "brought" for her, do you mean "bought?"

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
To expand a bit on TaleSpinner's comment, I'd like to know why Bill's mind got redirected from the terrorist memories he was carrying, to his wife. Were those particular 'jobs' so easy and routine that they never made an emotional impression? Did the terrorists' memories not make an impression on him for the same reasons of 'been there, done that'? Were these particular jobs so horrific that he had to force himself to focus on his wife?...or, anything else, for that matter.

And, from the other end of the equation, what about his wife? What warrants her getting most of the wordcount? Was he rushing to meet with her because he wanted to celebrate their twenty incredible years together? Was he rushing to meet with her because their last twenty years were a struggle, and he refused to go down without giving it one last effort? Or---at the risk of sounding like a pig ---is she hot? Whatever it is, it needs to be an earth-shattering reason to make up for the reader being teased with a hint that we would get to check out the memories of dead terrorists, then taking it away.

Success with this story!

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Thanks everyone for your feedback, greatly appreciated.

I guess I'd like to see what the feedback is for the overall story before tackling the problems raised by the 1st 13. The wife is important to the whole story (and getting the protag. to the restaurant to meet her) at the moment, but at the same time, I don't want to dilute what works in the 1st 13. You've all given me a lot to think about.

Regards,

Nick

Jon Ruyle
Member # 5943

- posted      Profile for Jon Ruyle   Email Jon Ruyle         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just a nit, but why would a computer with advanced enough AI to be a act as a personal secretary not be able to figure out that by "Peggy", the guy means his wife?

More importantly, though: I found the idea of memories of dead men in a briefcase quite interesting.

Posts: 101 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi Jon,

It was meant to be a clue later in the story, but based on comments so far, it's a problem.

Cheers,

Nick

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.