Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Charging Up Charlie(Horror)

Author Topic: Charging Up Charlie(Horror)
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I never have much luck finding readers for horror, but this one has SF elements. So comments on the intro will be appreciated.

For those potentially interested in looking at the whole, I will warn that it has some pretty dark elements.

“We don’t want to lift the chair! We want to PLAY!” The synchronized screams of the twins had been going on all night.
As the grandfather clock rang three, I realized the futility of attempting sleep. Father was undaunted when there was a revelation in his research. The twins had no doubt shown him something new regarding their abilities.
I rolled out of bed, grabbed the battery from the charger and slid it into the slot in Charlie’s back. His eyes opened, blinked once and it stood up, cocking its head down to look at me kneeling.
“Happy Birthday, Frank.” The vocalizer must have startled a roach; it crawled out from Charlie’s mouth and scurried down its chest.

Revision

It was not the third unsettling chime of the grandfather clock which made me realize the futility of attempting sleep. It was the endless screams of the twins.
“We don’t want to lift the chair. We want to play.” They had been screaming all night in unison. Synchronized so well, in fact, that their voices couldn’t be distinguished from each other. They must have shown father something new regarding their abilities. He was relentless with his research when progress was being made.
I rolled out of bed, grabbed the battery from its charger and slid it into the slot in Charly’s back. His eyes blinked, then opened. “Happy Birthday, Frank.” His vocalizer must have startled a roach; it crawled out from Charlie’s mouth and scurried down his chest.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited July 02, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
“We don’t want to lift the chair! We want to PLAY!” would 'wanna' be better than 'want to'. For some reason I thought of the twins as being toddler age The synchronized screams of the twins had been going on all night.
As the grandfather clock rang three, I realized the futility of attempting sleep. Father was undaunted is this the right word? when there was a revelation in his research. The twins had no doubt shown him something new regarding their abilities.
I rolled out of bed, grabbed the battery from the charger and slid it into the slot in Charlie’s back. His eyes opened, blinked once and it stood up, cocking its head down to look at me kneeling.
“Happy Birthday, Frank.” The vocalizer must have startled a roach; it crawled out from Charlie’s mouth and scurried down its chest. this last bit is really creepy. In a good way

Personally, I think that you'd be better off starting with the second paragraph. the first sentence doesn't seem to add anything to it, and the information could easily be assimilated further on. Also, the capitals and the exclamation mark irked me for some reason. I'll try to give an example (hope you don't mind me re-writing.)

As the grandfather clock rang three, I realized the futility of attempting sleep. The twins had no doubt shown father something new regarding their abilities, and he paid no heed to time or others when a new development occurred.
“Happy Birthday, Frank.” The vocalizer must have startled a roach; it crawled out from Charlie’s mouth and scurried down its chest.

Its not great, I know...

Anyway, I would read on, but I thought the first two sentences were the weakest ones, which isn't really ideal.

Hope that helps.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it over BT. I'll give it a read.

I like the revision much better.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Send it through.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send it to me too, I know how hard it is to find readers for "horror"
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read the whole thing if you like. How long is it?
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry less than 3k
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCarroll
Member # 8061

- posted      Profile for JCarroll   Email JCarroll         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't get what's going on at all, but I'd like to take a look at the rest.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.