Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Long Knives-Fantasy 2500 words

Author Topic: Long Knives-Fantasy 2500 words
JCarroll
Member # 8061

- posted      Profile for JCarroll   Email JCarroll         Edit/Delete Post 
Any critique appreciated. Length is 2,500 words. Not 25,000

The place in the midst of the woods was old, storied and sacred to the People. It was a mound of earth and stone twenty feet high on which green grass grew and purple flowers bloomed. Here the People came to pay their respects to the spirits of their ancestors. Here were kept the Long Knives, blades forged of star metal for the People in the First Days by the stone brethren. Here were the graves of heroes pledged to guard the holy weapons against unclean hands.
All this history lay heavy on Lyr’s shoulders. He stood in the dying shadows of the mound at dawn and all the expectations pressed down upon him like a great weight. Excitement and fear warred within his soul; ambition clashed with self doubt.

Is this any better? Does this make anyone want to read the rest?

History lay heavy on Lyr's shoulders, his own and that of the place to which he'd come. He stood before a mound of earth and stone twenty feet high, covered with green grass and purple flowers.
Lyr shivered at the thought of the generations of heroes buried within to guard the most sacred treasure of the people. As a half breed, born of violence, he felt like an intruder in this sacred place. He was not accepted by the tribe and would never be unless he entered the mound and returned with the weapon the tribe needed to fight against the invaders. Excitement and fear warred within his soul; ambition clashed with self doubt.

[This message has been edited by JCarroll (edited July 05, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by JCarroll (edited July 06, 2008).]

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, although the first paragraph is an info-dump, and I could nit-pick it apart. I liked it. It sufficiently hooked me.
The second paragraph however loses it for me. Not enough conflict. Does your MC need to deal with a crisis other than the weight of history in this holy place??
I suggest you consider bringing that to the forefront if you are after a solid hook in your opener.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badger
Member # 3490

- posted      Profile for Badger   Email Badger         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's probably not terribly useful, but I second everything Snapper's said. The first paragraph [i] is [/] an info-dump, but its so nicely written I wanted to read it.
The second paragraph is a bit anti-climactic. If the mound is the setting for the conflict, then great, but I want to know what that conflict is, beyond the weight of history.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for being negative but all that 'People of the First Days' sounds very cliche. Also, the second paragraph should already be moving the reader somewhere; the train would have to start by now.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The place in the midst of the woods was old, storied and sacred to the People.

I at fist thought this wordy and distant, but soon chalked it up to the "native" voice of the narration.

quote:
It was a mound of earth and stone twenty feet high on which green grass grew and purple flowers bloomed.

Here the voice seems to fade and it seems more of an information dump.

quote:
Here the People came to pay their respects to the spirits of their ancestors.

I did a 180 here because up until this point I thought POV character was also a native. So this negates the voice I noticed before and really makes me question who is telling the story.

quote:
Here were kept the Long Knives, blades forged of star metal for the People in the First Days by the stone brethren. Here were the graves of heroes pledged to guard the holy weapons against unclean hands.

Good information, but info dump.

quote:
All this history lay heavy on Lyr’s shoulders. He stood in the dying shadows of the mound at dawn and all the expectations pressed down upon him like a great weight. Excitement and fear warred within his soul; ambition clashed with self doubt

So this is the heart of the moment, the MC, the POV, but it comes too late. It is also a little vague. It gives just enough information about the current situation to feel like a device planted to stir up interest.

So My advice is to start with this last block, clean it up, sharpen the POV, because this is the true inciting moment. It is here where the story begins all the other details will find thier way to the surface through the exposition, especially at 25k.

25k is alot to look at, but I will go over it if you want.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited July 04, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited July 04, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
So this is 2.5k not 25k. Might want to make that clear. It will be easier to find readers.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi JCarroll .

Just to clarify, am I right in thinking that you've posted two versions of your opening, not two sequential paragraphs from your story?

Assuming that's the case, I prefer the first version. Yes, it's one big fat infodump, but as snapper said, it's so nicely written that I don't actually mind. Indeed, I almost don't notice. Theoretically, your second version should be the better opening (you're working from the character's POV, you're inside Lyr's head, etc), but it's not. It too is an infodump, and that's much harder to disguise when you're trying to write from a character's perspective. Personally, I'd say stick with the first opening, but follow it with some real, solid first person prose. Thoughts and observations directly from Lyr himself (''Bloody hell, that stone is big,' thought Lyr', instead of 'Lyr looked at the stone, and it occurred to him that it was pretty large.'). Indeed, I'd be tempted to cut out 'Excitement and fear warred within his soul; ambition clashed with self doubt', and start with the first person stuff there. Don't telll us that excitement and fear warred within him, have him do / say / think something that implies it. It's the old 'show don't tell' rule.

Aside from that, I'll make one observation: al lot of the ideas here are quite cliché. Now, this is where your original opening also works, because I want to read on despite it, but be careful. Woods and forests are stock 'mystical' places; dawn is a predictable time for important things / ceremonies, etc; 'the People' has been used in countless fantasy stories already; big numinous stones in sacred places are hardly a new idea, let alone obelisks in burial shrines to ancestors; 'star metal', 'first days', 'stone bretheren' (dwarves? giants? golems, etc?), 'holy weapons'? It's all extremely familiar territory. Now, that doesn't mean your story is doomed to failure, but it does mean that you're going to have to come up with an entirely new / innovative way of using these old ideas, and your prose is gonna have to grab hold of the reader from the first word and not let them go. Otherwise, people will just assume they're read this story a thousand times before in a different form, and pass on it.

Hope this helped .
Daniel.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I'd agree with Blue Phoenix here. The 1st attempt works better because the info-dumping is disguised within some nice use of repetition in your phrasing, but it lacks the conflict/hook. The 2nd version has your conflict put up front, but the writing is stiffer and the info-dump more obvious. I think you've got your opening somewhere between the two versions, but it will need a little bit of fiddling.

I'm happy to look at the story, but it won't be happening this week. If you're happy to wait for a critique, I'll do it in about a week's time.

regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.