Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Rejected story Horror 5,500 - 1st 13

Author Topic: Rejected story Horror 5,500 - 1st 13
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone,

This story has been bounced from a couple of magazines, wouldn't mind a critique on both the 1st 13 (which I know is weak) and the story overall. It's been through critters.

Thanks,

Nick

Helene vomited as she squatted under the stream of water from the showerhead. The vomit swirled down the drain, the colour of it green and wrong. She lacked the strength to stand. Instead, she stayed squatting on the tiles, letting the water pour over her.
After a while, she gathered the strength drag herself to the mirror. The thin bird-ribs, her hollow face with her cheekbones blade-sharp. Her bald little head and the flat traverse of chest where her breasts used to be, the two purple jagged scars in parallel curls on her sallow skin.
She cast the prayer out to the void, _please, I don’t want to die. I’ll do anything._ It was not answered.

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited July 16, 2008).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

You've definitely conveyed that your MC is in seriously messed up shape; in particular, the line "...colour of it green and wrong" spoke well to me.

But, I kept waiting to find out what put her in that condition. By the time I got to "little bald head", I figured it was a byproduct of chemotherapy necessitated by cancer, but, to me, that doesn't really place it as a 'horror'-classified story. To get me reading further, I would definitely like to know the why of her condition before I get past the 13 line mark.

Hope that makes sense to you.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and send it to me. I'm not one for horror, but I'm pretty good at critiquing. Hopefully we can discover how to make it publishable (if that's a word).
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
'Helene vomited as she squatted under the stream of water from the showerhead.'

This opening line's a little long and clunky for my liking. Consider: 'Helene vomited. She was squatting under the shower with her head between her legs. The vomit swirled down the drain, the colour of it green and wrong.'

'She lacked the strength to stand.'

This is a little telling. Consider: 'Her legs ached. Through the dizziness she could barely see her feet.'

'After a while, she gathered the strength drag herself to the mirror.'

This isn't as powerful as it could be, and I feel you're glossing a little, and thereby stealing part of the experience from me. Consider: 'She breathed deeply, felt the nausea subside a little. Then, planting her hands firmly on her knees, she managed to stand. The mirror wasn't far away--just close enough for her to stumble towards it.'

'The thin bird-ribs, her hollow face with her cheekbones blade-sharp. Her bald little head and the flat traverse of chest where her breasts used to be, the two purple jagged scars in parallel curls on her sallow skin.'

I'm thinking you should separate these thoughts with either full stops or semi-colons, rather than commas, as otherwise you've comma-spliced twice. These clauses are all fragments, and seem to be leading towards a climax, but then just end in a full stop. Perhaps:

'The thing bird-ribs; her hollow face with her cheekbones blade-sharp; her bald little head and the flat traverse of chest where her breasts used to be; the two purple jagged scars in parallel curls on her sallow skin--she was a mess.'

Alternatively:

'The thin bird-ribs. Her hollow face with her cheekbones blade-sharp. Her bald little head and the flat traverse of chest where her breasts used to be. The two purple jagged scars in parallel curls on her sallow skin. She was a mess.'

That way, you avoid the comma-splice (which editors hate), and you're building up to something definite.

'She cast the prayer out to the void, _please, I don’t want to die. I’ll do anything._ It was not answered.'

I'd probably begin the 'please' with a capital letter, as thoughts are essentially a type of dialogue. Also, consider 'her prayer' rather than 'the prayer', as the latter suggests this is a special prayer used by others, whereas 'her prayer' makes it more personal and desperate.

These are all just quick suggestions, but you can probably come up with some better ideas.

Adam
xxx

[This message has been edited by baduizt (edited July 16, 2008).]

Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. Innesjen, on its way.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Helene vomited as she squatted under the stream of water from the showerhead.

This is the first sentence, so unless you have some ulterior motive, I assume you want this to be strong. The word "as" often weakens ideas, and I think it does here. If your opening read:

"Helen squatted under the showerhead. She vomited."

I think it would be stronger. By combining the images into the same sentence, you weaken both of them.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

Hi OnceandFutureMe,

Thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nick

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.