Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Genre Noir

Author Topic: Genre Noir
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

here is something I was throwing around yesterday. I have a basis of a short story right now, but will have to see how it goes along. I started it out with the mindset of making it "film noir"-ish, but I think its coming out less cheesey thatn I wanted it to, which, I guess, isn't a bad thing.
Just looking for the regular comments and what not - Thanks!

-----------------

I swirled my shot of Jack in its glass while I sat waiting at the bar. Nights like this the cold would seep in under your skin and settle there like a parasitic infestation, contempt in annoying the hell out of you. Nights like this the only remedy was a stiff warm drink, or two, or if it was really bad out maybe even just pass me the Bottle bub and run the tab. Nights like this always allowed my mind to wander, and sooner than later I was reminiscing about Vinny.
It was late, probably around 11:30. Maybe not late for some, but the bar was empty save for a young couple, most likely down from the college, sitting in one corner. I watched them as their fingers intertwined over a guttering candle. They laughed and she playfully slapped at one of his hands all the while

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 17, 2008).]

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find much wrong with this. Although it is not something I would typically read, I thought the voice was really good. Kinda dark corner-pulp. I'd probably give it a chance.

There wasn't much of a lure though other than the voice for me.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

I swirled my shot of Jack [in its glass<--Where else would you swirl it? Usually a "shot" is in a shot-glass. When it's in a glass, it's usually either mixed or on the rocks.] while I sat waiting at the bar. Nights like this the cold would seep in under your skin and settle [there<--[Don't need this.] like a parasitic infestation, contempt in annoying the hell out of you. Nights like this<--[Redundant. Maybe just capitalize:T]he only remedy was a stiff [warm<--[Do you mean "warm drink" or that the drink warms the blood? If you mean the former, separate "stiff" and "warm" with a comma.] drink, or two[,<--[Period here and start the next with a capital: O]r if it was really bad [out maybe even just<--IMHO - Cut.] pass me the Bottle [bub<--[Doesn't add that much, and it does add some "cheese" to the sentence.] and run the tab. [Nights like this<--Way redundant. By now I'm annoyed that I don't know what "Nights like this" means. Is is rainy? Cold? The Calm before the storm?] always allowed my mind to wander, and sooner than later I was reminiscing about Vinny.[Eh? Who's Vinny, anmd what's he got to do with "Nights like this?]
It was late, probably around 11:30. [Maybe not late for some, but<--[Takes me out of the story. Let's me know I'm being "told" a story. Suggest just capitalizing T] the bar was empty save for a young couple, most likely down from the college, sitting in one corner. I watched them as their fingers intertwined over a guttering candle. They laughed and she playfully slapped at one of his hands all the while looking each other intently in the eyes - something I hadn’t been able to [do?] for almost a year.

I like noir. I know it's a genre built on cliches, but all the more reason to shatter that mold.

I'm lacking any element. What kind of story is this?

You mention "Vinny" to raise question and then drop him out of the picture.

Those are the main problems I noticed.

Nice voice.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

thanks guys, It seems to be a murder/revenge story.

I set it up to be redundant with the "Nights like this," but I don't think it has the same effect as it would if the sentences were shorter, more in a list format. I think I might just take the redundancy out if it isnt having the right effect and focus more on the voice.

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest it reads like imitation noir, almost like you're trying to parody it. I think you're trying too hard for the voice here, and are falling a little short. I also question why you bring up reminiscing about Vinny and then your MC starts talking about his observations of the bar. If he reminiscing about Vinny, seems like that's what he'd be saying next.

I don't know how helpful that is; I don't really have any suggestions as to how to make the voice work. Lord knows I couldn't get the noir voice down if I tried.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

As Jesse D has identified, this kind of voice is really hard to get without slipping into parody. As the others have identified as well, there's not much hint as to what the story's going to be about, though I'm presuming the hook of the opening 13 will emerge as you write the story.

One thing that didn't work for me was the early simile "...like a parasitic infestation, contempt in annoying the hell out of you." It brought me right out of the story and, for me, it didn't quite get the image you were probably working for. It might have been strong enough for other people.

Otherwise, the voice is good, but it's probably much too early to tell how it's going to work out. At the moment I wouldn't read on, but it's probably a matter of finetuning.

Regards,

nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
You've effectively got the noir-ish voice down. I didn't mind the repetition so much. You had me until the description of the young couple. I don't get why he boils down the moment to thinking about Vinny, and then immediately starts thinking about the young couple. On the other hand, I'd warn you not to launch off into a flashback right then.
The hook seems to be the voice and Vinny, and I'm not sure that's enough for me here.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
* 'parasitic infestation' - personally, I'd shorten this just to 'like a parasite', though I'm not a fan of the whole parasite simile.
* '... contempt in annoying the hell out of you.' - I assume you mean 'content', not 'contempt'?
* 'Nights like this the only remedy was a stiff warm drink, or two, or if it was really bad out maybe even just pass me the Bottle bub and run the tab' - this whole sentence is very awkward (tenses, punctuation, wording). It feels like it wants to be in the present tense to me, almost directly to the reader (ever watch the very first episodes of Sex and the City when everything stops, and Carrie turns and speaks directly to the camera/viewers)? Of course, you'd have to change the surrounding sentences too... just an idea. Failing that, I'd re-punctuate: 'Nights like this, the only remedy was a stiff warm drink or two. Or, if it was really bad out, maybe even just pass me the bottle, bub, and run the tab' [optional commas around 'bub'].

I might read on, but that sentence has really jarred me. Hope this helped .

Daniel.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post 
This doesn't come across as noir to me. Rather, it sounds as though you are trying to create a "hard boiled" character from the pulp '40s.

Here's one e-zine's (The Back Alley, http://www.backalleywebzine.com/) description of the difference:

"The discussion, even among those who are well-read in these literary forms, surrounding just what constitutes hardboiled or noir fiction is ongoing, often confrontational, and seldom results in anything resembling agreement. Basically, hardboiled crime fiction involves a stronger description of violence, sex, and contains harsher language than you might find in traditional crime fiction. The protagonist more often than not is a private investigator. This investigator may fall under the tradition of Chandler's Marlowe and his successors such as Lew Archer and Spenser, in which the crimes are vicious but the detectives are not. They may more closely resemble the work of Carroll John Daly or Mickey Spillane, where the detective is as likely to engage in violence as the criminals are.

Noir stories often defy description, except that you are aware from the beginning that the protagonist and those around him are probably doomed no matter what they do to prevent it. The source of their damnation is their own personal weaknesses and frailties. They give in to temptation and, as in the story of Adam and Eve, their own choices condemn them. Greed, avarice, lust, and envy figure heavily in noir stories. Often, the noir protagonist believes him(her)self to be virtuous or to be acting correctly. It is only later that they discover that their decisions - well-meaning or not - have led to their undoing."

Your call, but I think you're sounding hard boiled.

Good luck

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

Thank you for the comments folks. I think I am going a bit for parody - unless you mean parody as in "ha ha."

I didn't realize there was a hardboiled genre, but it sounds cool. I don't know if I want to make it a dark or graphic story, but it would seem to possibly fit better under that genre. (FYI Igwiz I couldn't get your link to work, but I trust that's where your quote is from.) Hardboiled, Noir, whichever its placed in doesn't matter so much to me.

I have revised taking into consideration everyone's comments. (IB I always mean to ask when you comment- when you ad Eh? Who's Vinny, and what's he got to do with "Nights like this? are you saying its making you ask that question and is a hook and want to read on, or are you saying WTF is this doing here, its stupid to put that in?)

Thanks, here's the revision:

I swirled my shot of Jack and sat waiting at the bar. Nights like this the cold seeped in under your skin and settled like a parasite, content in annoying the hell out of you. Nights like this the only remedy is a stiff drink, or two, or if it’s really bad out maybe even “just pass me the Bottle, Bub and let the tab run.” Nights like this always allowed my mind to wander, and sooner than later I was reminiscing about Vinny.
I downed my drink (here’s to you Vinny) and pushed the glass over to the bartender. He filled it up again without looking up to me. I let the glass sit and glanced at the crumpled piece of paper next to it. I had found it stuck between the windshield and wiper of my car that morning. No need to unravel it, I had read it a hundred times throughout the day. 11:30 PINTY’S ON

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 21, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Any question beginning with an "Eh?"--from me--has the equivalent of a Huh? Where'd this come from? (Which is not good when it leads to: Who's *Vinny* and what he got to do with...?). Those are not hook[ questions, they're clarity ones. By the way (though it's rare to see) if I am hooked, I'll say : "I'd read on"; "I'll give it a read"; "I'm hooked" or the like.

By the way, the "Nights like this" is still very redundant.

quote:
I swirled my shot of Jack and sat waiting at the bar. Nights like this the cold seeped in under your skin and settled like a parasite, content in annoying the hell out of you. Nights like this the only remedy is a stiff drink, or two[, or if it’s really bad out maybe even “just pass me the Bottle, Bub and let the tab run.”<--[I have the same problems with this as before.] Nights like this always allowed my mind to wander, and sooner than later I was reminiscing about Vinny. [Except the first sentence, the entire paragraph begins with "Nights like this".]
I downed my drink (here’s to you Vinny) and pushed the glass over to the bartender.<--[Nice characterization. No slamming the shot glass down for him.] He filled it up again without looking [up to<--[at] me. I let the glass sit and glanced at the crumpled piece of paper next to it. I had found it stuck [between the windshield and wiper<--[Maybe just under the windshield wiper[/b] would be less cumbersome.[/b]] of my car that morning. [No need to unravel it,<--[No need for this when it's followed by:] I had read it a hundred times throughout the day. 11:30 PINTY’S ON 43rd ST. – I KNOW ABOUT MALHAVEN

The end is a better hook, and it would probably carry me over to the next page, if I got past the redundancies.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.