Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Beating the Betancur

Author Topic: Beating the Betancur
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I wrote a long time ago. It popped up and I got interested in it again and polishing it.

The owner of the bar was easy to spot. Drinks were 3-for-1 and he was the only one sitting by himself drinking syntha-caff. His orange face, with its single giant eye in the middle, was drawn as tight as a dancer’s pants and he kept chewing on his lower lip. He looked like someone had dropped the weight of the universe on his shoulders. Maybe only 100K credits’ worth of it.

The human bartender finished fixing my drinks and a furry tentacle snatched them off the counter. The barhop scurried over to where I stood leaning against the brass rail and plopped both glasses down just out of easy reach. I rolled an extra credit piece across the polished granite surface. A third tentacle whipped it up and inside the furry topknot

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited July 21, 2008).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
These two guys walked into a bar...

Too many stories start that way, and so it is going to be very hard to sell another one. Also you need to spend more time in a bar before you write about one. The brass rail is something you rest your feet on, not something you lean against.

Line by line:

"The owner of the bar was easy to spot. Drinks were 3-for-1 and he was the only one sitting by himself drinking syntha-caff."

I can think of half a dozen reasons why a bar patron might be alone drinking syntha-caff other than being the owner of the bar. Also, I strongly suspect that bar owners who are down in the dumps do not sit in the public area of their own bar. It would drive away customers. All of the sentences in your story must ring true, but the early sentences most of all.

"His orange face, with its single giant eye in the middle, was drawn as tight as a dancer’s pants and he kept chewing on his lower lip."

Not bad.

"He looked like someone had dropped the weight of the universe on his shoulders. Maybe only 100K credits’ worth of it."

Sounds forced.

"The human bartender finished fixing my drinks and a furry tentacle snatched them off the counter. The barhop scurried over to where I stood leaning against the brass rail and plopped both glasses down just out of easy reach. I rolled an extra credit piece across the polished granite surface."

Apparently, the pov character is not sitting at the bar. Where is he? This makes it seem he is standing next to a granite table leaning on a brass rail. This might be a hook -- why does the bar use granite for its tables? Why doesn't it provide chairs? But the reader is more likely to suspect that the writer just hasn't thought things through carefully.

" A third tentacle whipped it up and inside the furry topknot sprouting plastic peacock feathers out of what I presumed to be its main head, then grudgingly slid the glasses toward me. I picked up one of the LaserBlasters on the rocks, drank it down then wandered with the..."

People in bars usually get their drinks one at a time (a whisky with a beer chaser is an exception). If the bar is offering 3 for 1, they could put in three times as much alcohol in one glass, or they could bring you three glasses one after another, but not all at the same time. Also, waiters and waitresses do not behave the way your waiter behaves.

If you want to write about bars, you need to spend more time in bars. Or do some research by reading about Gavaghan's Bar, The White Hart, and Calahan's Place.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. Some of the images are really great - "tight as a dancer's pants. . . "

I didn't get the reference to the 100K credits. It would probably be bettter to use the full number - 100,000 - rather than the "K".

I'd like to see some action/movement soon since this is a short but you have my attention. Even though the bar setting is normally pretty ho-hum, you've put some interesting characters in it and break the cliche for me.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Rick's right. I have it going backwards. instead of rolling a snowball I should be peeling an onion here.

This isn't a 21st c. bar. Not even a 20th c. one. It's an alien operation which provides some of the same services as those. So, I should show how it isn't one and then as the story unfolds the reader sees how it is something like a bar.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.