Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Supreme Epiphany (WIP)

Author Topic: Supreme Epiphany (WIP)
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
This opening for an idea I have is distracting me. I could use some input to let me know if I'm on the right track.

Dr. Andrew Halifast had prided himself as always being able to maintain his professionalism. Years as a psychologist specializing in family conflict taught him to be understanding and patient. Drew’s clients usually came in with the same basic problem, they had a rational for doing what they did, not willing to admit they did anything really wrong. It often took time, but he could find a way to let them see the light. It was just a matter of talking them out of their reasoning and having the patience for them to come around.

Second version

Dr. Andrew Halifast prided himself as always being able to maintain his professionalism.
Lester Greensome proved that there were limits to even his deep well of patience. “God gave her cancer for breaking our vows.”
Drew chewed on his inner cheek. His eyes narrowed at the self-righteous man sitting across from him. Lester’s had trouble accepting his wife wish of a separation. Lester had a unique way of dealing with it. “Why would god wish a painful disease on your ex-wife? Would he not seek pity on her if she were unhappy with her life?"
Lester straightened his back and glared at Drew with disapproval. “She vowed to honor me. She made that promise in front of God at the altar. She lied to God. He is punishing her because of it.”

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited July 30, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey snapper.

Not a bad start but I think it could probably be trimmed up a bit.

Here are some inline comments.

quote:
Dr. Andrew Halifast had prided himself as always being able to maintain his professionalism. Years as a psychologist specializing in family conflict taught him to be understanding and patient. Drew’s [The use of a different name here threw me. Perhaps because it was so early.] clients usually came in with the same basic problem, they had a rational for doing what they did, not willing to admit they did anything really wrong. [This sentence could probably be split up.] It often took time, but he could find a way to let them see the light. It was just a matter of talking them out of their reasoning and having the patience for them to come around.
Lester Greensome proved that there were limits to even his deep well of patience.
“God gave her cancer for breaking our vows.”

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this set-up, but somehow I feel like the dilogue should be the first line as that is the eye opening experience. Then show us his reaction to it... just my two cents. I think the voice could be closer--deeper POV. Like "In all my years..."

Interested though. I'll read when you are ready.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post 
Just two quick comments. I'm not a fan of "had prided himself" the double d's in that phrase sound repetitive, could it just be 'prided' without the 'had'? I know you're establishing a past tense feel, but can it be a present tense tale?
Also, you're setting the reader up to understand that the Dr. is patient with his clients, and then you tell us (in the first 13 lines) that someone pushed his limits. I feel like you need more of a set up. This feels like it may be the main conflict since you name the character who pushes the Dr. and I feel like I need more exploration of the Dr.'s temperance to see how Lester's actions are so extreme that it affects the Dr. and to make this event more meaningful. Hope that helps

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thanks everyone,

I wrote a second version above. Appreciate comments on that as well

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the second version is much stronger. I would turn the page.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the second one better, here are my suggestions (only a few changes):

Dr. Andrew Halifast prided himself as always being able to maintain his professionalism.
Lester Greensome proved that there were limits to even this deep well of patience. “God gave her cancer for breaking our vows.”
Drew chewed on his inner cheek. His eyes narrowed at the self-righteous man sitting across from him. Lester had trouble accepting his wife wish of a separation and Lester had a unique way of dealing with it. “Why would God wish a painful disease on your ex-wife? Would he not pity her if she were unhappy with her life?"
Lester straightened his back and glared at Andrew with disapproval. “She vowed to honor me. She made that promise in front of God at the altar. She lied to God. He is punishing her because of it.”

*(Using the name 'Drew' suggests a friendship not a professional relationship, perhaps use Andrew or use the Doctor or something to show that they're not on a nickname basis).

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
*(Using the name 'Drew' suggests a friendship not a professional relationship, perhaps use Andrew or use the Doctor or something to show that they're not on a nickname basis).

A very good point, but this scene with Lester is brief. The POV in this story is exclusively Andrews, so I am writing it as how he would think of himself. 'Andrew' sounds combersome, 'Andy' doesn't fit for a doctor. Am I being silly for thinking this?

Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
The second version is much stronger.

Some thoughts:

1. You start with "Dr. Andrew Halifast prided himself as always being able to maintain his professionalism." The "as" throws me - should it be an "on"? I may just be crazy.

2. I agree with Anthony that you need to pick a name for the Doc - I assume "Drew" is your viewpoint character, so I would stick with it and drop the "Andrew" in the first sentence.

In "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" OSC points out in his breakdown of the first sentence of Octavia Butler's Wild Seed that the name given to the POV character in the prose is the name the POV character uses to think of himself/herself. I understand you want the "formal effect" of the full name in line 1, but I think it's distracting.

Alternatively, he may think of himself as "Andrew" or "Dr. Halifast" while in the office, and "Drew" when he's not with a patient. That's a subtle shift in the POV, but could give powerful insight into the character if consistently done. Of course, I don't know if you have any scenes outside the office, or if that vehicle would even work.

3. "Lester’s had trouble accepting his wife wish of a separation." I think your 's is in the wrong place.

4. The first line of dialog from Lester is a good one. I recommend finishing it off with something visual. The response from Dr. Halifast, however, turns me off.

"Why would god wish a painful disease on your ex-wife? Would he not seek pity on her if she were unhappy with her life?"

The "Would he not" is leaning towards purple, and I can't imagine a shrink using it (not that I have much experience with shrinks), especially with someone with Lester, who instantly comes across as one of the duller knives in the drawer. (I also don't know what "seek pity on her" means") You're not going to succeed at making Drew come across as intellectual or philosophical by giving him arcane-sounding dialog.

My limited understanding of shrinks is that, when they get a response like that, they ask something more along the lines of "Why do you think god would do something like that, Lester?" (did you use lower case 'g' with Drew intentionally? It sets out certain expectations)

Dr. Halifax using Lester's name establishes something about their relationship tothe reader. If Lester then responds with: "She vowed to honor me, Dr. Halifax," then we get the other side of it. Just a thought.

5. "Lester Greensome proved that there were limits to even his deep well of patience." As innesjen noted, this does sound like the testing of the limits has already been done, when the rest of the first 13 suggest we're about to witness it. You might consider an alteration to something like "The depths of his well of patience were put to the test within minutes of Lester Greensome settling in on his couch."

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.