Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Winter Outcast

Author Topic: Winter Outcast
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
From the lofty peaks of the white Winter Mountains, John watches a company of soldiers defy the sleeting blizzard. They stagger through the frigid wasteland, like blind men - their arms are high, trying to stave off the stinging acid of snow.

John feels anxiety inside him, it grows like an avalanche. He slips into the shadows, hiding the glint of his armor. His cape whips out from behind as the wind rages.

The soldiers struggle, making slow progress along the mountain base. John knocks an arrow and crouches, waiting.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it has a early dark age feel to it. At least that is what my minds eye saw as I read it.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm always a bit confused following a story in present tense like this.

How does John watch the soldiers in a white-out blizzard that leaves them stumbling? And how is he going to shoot an arrow in that wind?

Using archery terms, John "notches an arrow", rather than "knocks and arrow".

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Nice catch khalan.

Actually I have no idea what the story is about.

It was mostly an experiment to see if I could make anything presentable in 3rd present tense, and I guess JeanneT was right .. if there's no compelling need to break tradition, then it's probably best not to break it.

But thanks for the positive review, Wolf.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I agree--present tense really threw me off here. The set up seems intriguing, with a few fixes to the scenario pointed out earlier.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluephoenix
Member # 7397

- posted      Profile for bluephoenix   Email bluephoenix         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't say that 3rd present is ALWAYS a bad idea, but it's so hard to sustain it. Your prose got a little repetitive for me (The soldiers struggle; John knocks an arrow; John feels anxiety, etc). I guess the trick is to try to find different ways of describing the situation without resorting to 'he does / feels / says' every time. Unfortunately, 3rd present doesn't give you a whole lot of wiggle-room.

Otherwise, 'John feels anxiety inside him, it grows like an avalanche' - comma splice.

Not sure I'd read on, I'm afraid.

Posts: 153 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Well, I chose not to write on, so I can't say that I blame you.
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Well, I chose not to write on, so I can't say that I blame you.

LOL! Classic!

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.