Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short Fantasy - Going Home

Author Topic: Short Fantasy - Going Home
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I cannot believe that it has taken me this long to figure out that *this* is where we post fragments of completed short stories. I mean, after all, the Forum is only titled "Fragments and Feedback for Short Stories". What an idiot I am! Sigh. So now that I have reached this epiphany, I have a story to post. It's ~1600 words, short fantasy. Its done, just been sitting for a month or so (like I said, idiot much?). Let me know if anyone would like to read the rest.
Here's the 13.

“C’mon, you know it’ll be good to see them.” He tossed the suitcases in the trunk. “It’s been 40 years since we’ve been back. Since you’ve seen them, right?”
“Has it been that, really?” She looked at him. He had looked so good on the street that morning. Hopeful, promising. She hadn’t even hesitated when two weeks later he asked her to come along. She closed the trunk. “It just doesn’t seem that long ago.” But it had been. Each year she looked for the letter that didn’t come. After a few years she had stopped expecting, but never stopped hoping. When Michael handed the letter to her last week and she read the return address, all the old hopes flooded back.

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited August 31, 2008).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
You've got an intriguing emotional tension going on that would keep me reading a little longer. But "She looked at him. He had looked so good..." really tells me nothing. Are these bits necessary? If so, they need to be reworded, rephrased, so that they convey interesting information about action and/or character.

Also, the first 13 could take place anywhere, anytime, so I'm wondering what the fantasy element is and how quickly the story gets to it.

The situation interests me enough to take a look at the rest. Please, send it on.

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

OK, re-edited and ready for a new look. Its now ~1800 words and is fantasy.
Comments?
Thanks
Leslie

“C’mon, you know it’ll be good to see them.” Michael tossed the suitcases into the trunk of the beat up Chrysler. “It’s been 40 years since you’ve seen them, right?”
“Has it been that long, really?” He had looked so promising on the street that morning leaning on this same car. There was something different about this boy from all the others who had passed through her small town. She hardly hesitated when two weeks later he asked her to come along. Her responsibility to her Mom and sisters tugged on her, she knew she should have stayed but Michael laid escape at her feet like a gift from the gods. She hadn’t looked back; at least not for a few years. She closed the trunk. “It just doesn’t seem that long ago.” But it had been. Each year she looked for the letter that

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 08, 2008).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Lots of changes. Now it sounds like they just need to be smoothed out. I'd still like to work with you on this one, but since I know what happens, I may not be able to look at it with fresh eyes. It's up to you, of course, but I'll look at the new draft whenever you like. "trunk of the beat up Chrysler" - yes!

[This message has been edited by C L Lynn (edited September 08, 2008).]

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

Cool! thanks I will send it on.
Leslie

Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Leslie,

Pass it on.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

Excellent, Thanks! I will send it on this am.
Leslie

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a gentle hook, but I would turn the page. I had some confusion about the sequence:

“C’mon, you know it’ll be good to see them.” Michael tossed the suitcases into the trunk of the beat up Chrysler. “It’s been 40 years since you’ve seen them, right?”
“Has it been that long, really?” He had looked so promising on the street that morning leaning on this same car Okay, I thought that this was just earlier this morning. There was something different about this boy from all the others who had passed through her small town. She hardly hesitated when two weeks later he asked her to come along.Okay, this isn't two weeks from present story time but two weeks from forty years ago, right? I had to read it twice to get that. I wasn't sure how far back the flashback was supposed to go. Her responsibility to her Mom and sisters tugged on her, she knew she should have stayed but Michael laid escape at her feet like a gift from the gods. She hadn’t looked back; at least not for a few years It's only until this point I realized how I was supposed to interpret the "He had looked..." Then I had to go back and reread to make sure I'd parsed it all correctly. She closed the trunk. “It just doesn’t seem that long ago.” But it had been. Each year she looked for the letter that

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

Thanks Annepin,
Good points. I will look at the sequence in the first paragraph again.
Leslie

Esso
Member # 8214

- posted      Profile for Esso   Email Esso         Edit/Delete Post 
The time shift confused me also ('that morning' and 'two weeks later'). It reads better after your edits, and drew me into it enough to keep reading awhile longer.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.