Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Satisfaction Guaranteed

Author Topic: Satisfaction Guaranteed
GLiB
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for GLiB   Email GLiB         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wrapped up the 1st draft of this. Looking for crits on the 13 and offers to read th whole. Thanks in advance.

Carl was an exceptionally average man. He was neither more nor less. He didn’t have a particularly successful career. Though he wasn’t unsuccessful. His son was good at sports but never went out for the team. His wife was neither homely nor beautiful. And his car was a Dodge, midsize. In his first 30 years of life, Carl was a glass-is-half-full kind of guy, and after 30 he changed his outlook to half-empty appropriately. If he had one fault it would be that Carl had never once, in all of his life, stood up for what he really wanted. But everything in Carl’s life was about to change in a single trans-temporal flash.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Carl was an exceptionally average man.

exceptionally average is too oxymoron for me.

quote:
He was neither more nor less.

This makes it redundant

quote:
He didn’t have a particularly successful career.

Feels like a double redundant

quote:
Though he wasn’t unsuccessful.

A triple play of redundancy

quote:
His son was good at sports but never went out for the team. His wife was neither homely nor beautiful. And his car was a Dodge, midsize. In his first 30 years of life, Carl was a glass-is-half-full kind of guy, and after 30 he changed his outlook to half-empty appropriately. If he had one fault it would be that Carl had never once, in all of his life, stood up for what he really wanted. But everything in Carl’s life was about to change in a single trans-temporal flash.

Okay, for most of us, this is an unauthorized biography about us. Carl is a very dull person but that doesn't mean you should make this first 13 equally as dull. Please, please think of another way to open this. Aside from all that I said this is one big infodump, enough of a reason to rethink your approach.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Glib,

I think Snapper has nailed the problem. Firstly, it's firmly focused on character that doesn't seem intriguing at this stage of the game. Some people might take it as being condescending towards "normal" people or you're working with a dull character. An ordinary man awakened to something bigger is an interesting character, but at this stage we're being asked to take a journey with a dull man.

The big problem for me though is that it's an info dump. Show us his ordinary life and give us tension in how it will change.

Regards,

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited September 02, 2008).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess the hook here has two components. Carl's ordinary life is about to change due to an extraordinary event, and that event is a "single trans-temporal flash", which I imagine means time travel--I like time travel stories, if they're done well.

If you think about it, fiction is often--not always but very commonly--about ordinary people dealing with extraordinary events. So the first component doesn't make this story stand out; it's simply, needlessly, stating what we often expect of fiction.

The trick for the hook, it seems to me, is to engage the reader with the ordinary MC. Focusing on his ordinaryness doesn't cut it; as Snapper and Nick T have said, dull isn't engaging. (Except in certain forms of literature concerned with mundanity, but trans-temporality makes this story anything but mundane.)

Take Harry Potter, for example. At the start of the first novel he's ordinary, or thinks he is. We're engaged by the extraordinary things in his life, and instantly feel sympathy for his situation--living under the stairs, downtrodden yet not cowed.

Or, here's the first line from a story in the July issue of Asimov's: "Aimee's big trick is that she makes twenty-six monkeys vanish on stage." Aimee's a fairly ordinary gal, but instead of telling us that, Johnson devotes the first sentence to what makes her interesting. ("26 Monkeys, also the Abyss" by Kij Johnson.)

Thus, I'd suggest telling us something about Carl that will engage our interest, or sympathy--anything but the dull nature of his life. After all, escaping dullness is one reason to read SF.

Moving on to the trans-temporal flash: although I imagine it's time travel, I'm not really sure what it is, so for me there's no tension, no real hook. I believe that tension and interest come from what the character doesn't know, or fears, not from what the narrator knows but hasn't fully disclosed.

Also, you seem to have an omniscient narrator who knows what will happen before Carl does. I say that because as the story opens, Carl presumably has no idea what a trans-temporal flash is, nor what it will do to him. It's a style common in thrillers but I, personally, cannot immerse in such stories. Immersion is much easier, for me at least, when I'm right alongside the character, knowing what he knows, feeling what he feels--without an omniscient narrator telling me, effectively, "This next bit's good, just watch ..."

So I'd suggest letting us assume Carl's life is ordinary, giving us instead something about him that engages our interest or sympathy, and jumping straight into the trans-temporal flash so we know immediately what it is, and can fear for Carl alongside him as the story unfolds.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GLiB
Member # 8160

- posted      Profile for GLiB   Email GLiB         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback. I wrote this story to try out an omniscient narrator. I’m not getting very good feedback on it so far. I still kind of like the story idea so I’ll most likely rework it some.

I’m finding that the omniscient narrator lends itself to the info-dump-ish blocks of exposition that you all pointed out. I’m not sure that I know how to get around that, as the narrator needs to have an identifiable voice, but is not directly part of the action. Maybe I’ll re-read Hitchhiker’s Guide and see if anything clicks for me ( I think Adams used 3po ).

I get that my protagonist isn’t very likable, though. And that drafting him that way might make it hard for a reader to get into the story. I’ll probably come back to this in a few weeks and give it another go.

If anyone knows of any good examples of narration in the third person omniscient, let me know. It isn’t a popular style, but it was fun to write in.

Thanks again for the feedback,
Greg-

Posts: 18 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
My 2 critiques of these lines as a hook are:

1. you're describing a guy who doesn't sound all that interesting.

compounded by the fact that:

2. Your just describing him to us. He's not "doing" anything at this point. The narrator is simply describing him. If it was an ordinary guy doing something interesting, or an interesting guy doing something ordinary, either would be better to hook the reader in. Or at the very least if you could find some interesting words or phrases to describe his "ordinary-ness" if that is the point to his existance.

As it currently stands, I'm sorry, but I'm not all that interested in reading more.

Keep trying!

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually liked the beginning. It had a Phantom Tollbooth feel to me.

Just so no one else has to do it, Tollbooth starts out with:
"Once there was a boy named Milo who didn't know what to do with himself - not just sometimes, but always.
When he was in school he longed to be out, and when he was out he longed to be in. . . . Nothing really interested him - least of all the things that should have."

However, if that's not the tone you're trying to set (light, and humorous), you might want to reconsider it.

I think you spell out the numbers.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in my experience, with about half of stories not a huge lot happens right at the very begining, save for those stories that start right in the middle of the action.

Most of the comments here, to me, are an example of a tendency of writer/critiques, especially here where we have what to me is the first 13 restriction, to expect a little too much of the very, very begining of a story.

I, too, have seen this method or aproach used before, so I don't think there is anything wrong with it, intrinsically. Yes, the character is unlikeable, but I dont think he' supposed to be. And yes, he isn't doing anything but its the very begining of the story we're finding out who he is, before he starts doing stuff.

I dislike time travel stories, personally, so if I really thought it was that I probably wouldnt read on, but the method of introduction isnt an issue for me.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mumbles16
Member # 8196

- posted      Profile for Mumbles16   Email Mumbles16         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, there is nothing wrong with redundancy as I think it illustrates your point precisely. The nothingness of it and then the suddenness of some event. Average will catch anyone's eye as most of us consider ourselves as much, or at least most of the time we are pretty average with the exception of say a few spectacular flourishes. ;D Good stuff
Posts: 26 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.