Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Red Cooler

Author Topic: The Red Cooler
Starbrusttiger
Member # 8187

- posted      Profile for Starbrusttiger           Edit/Delete Post 
Eloise's pale thighs stuck to the leather seats of the rental car. She reached over and turned the air conditioner on, watching her husband out of the corner of her eye. She looked away, a satisfied smile on her face, and almost immediately Richard's hand moved over and turned the dial off, his eyes never moving from the road.
“Open up a window, Lo.”
She glared at him. “Are you kidding? It has to be one hundred degrees out there. The sun is beating on my legs and I'm hooott.”
“The air conditioner wastes gas and it is a long way to California.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Not bad and I'm intrigued. Your MC is married to a prude and she appears to be a bit mischievous. If that is waht you were after, well done.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlizarinFire
Member # 7303

- posted      Profile for AlizarinFire   Email AlizarinFire         Edit/Delete Post 
Great job setting up the husband and wife's relationship. Picking something petty like the AC for the first spat is awesome as many married people can relate to that!

What genre are you writing? It's hard to see what momentous action can follow soon enough to hook readers if they are on a long road trip, but if you're writing a relationship-driven story then that might not be what you're aiming for.

Regards,
Melissa

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
As far as setting the mood, well done. But I have no desire to read on as it seems just an ordinary day. No hint as to what may happen.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice start. Good way of setting up the relationship between the two of them. I would keep reading. One nitpick, and it's just a personal thing for me as a reader, is that the word "pale" -- as in "pale thighs" -- struck me wrong. Maybe it's just the word's placement in the first sentence. My very first impression of her, the one that is going to stick through the whole story, is that she has pale thighs.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbrusttiger
Member # 8187

- posted      Profile for Starbrusttiger           Edit/Delete Post 
Melissa,

The story itself isn't about their relationship, but it is a definite sub plot. The couple finds a cooler filled with money lying on the side of the road, and the story is about what they do with the cooler and what happens to them as a result of that decision.

Catherine

Posts: 12 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.