Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » The Rose Of Rehin

Author Topic: The Rose Of Rehin
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Delita started at the sound of hammering against her habitat. She wondered if she had fallen asleep; the news screen on the media wall still flickered silently in the dusky light of the room, but then she always had the wall on mute.

The hammering again, more insistent this time.

“Yeah, yeah.” Delita ran a hand through her hair, it felt greasy and dirty. She struggled to rise to her feet. Months of inactivity had left her muscles weak and they already ached by the time she reached the wall. There was only one person it could be; and so she didn’t even bother looking through the viewer before slapping the switch.

The aluminium slats creaked and groaned and shifted, and then came to a juddering halt a metre from the ground. Three more

Sci-fi this time. This one is 4.8k and comments on the 13 or offers to read the whole thing are gratefully received as always.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. Just some comments:

- The word "wall" comes up 3 times; the first 2 are the media wall. I am not sure if the 3rd wall (the one she reaches) is the media wall or another wall entirely.
- I would lose "but then she always had the wall on mute" - it doesn't seem to add anything.
- "She struggled to rise to her feet" doesn't need "to rise".

Glad to read it if you want to send it. Should have it back to you by Monday (10/20).

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit I'm a bit concerned about this one. Why? It starts with the MC waking up or more accurately wondering if she's just waking up. The inclination to roll my eyes and groan distracted from what the story's trying to be.

The "She wondered if she had fallen asleep" doesn't help you and might be hurting your chances of hooking someone. If you cut the line, I'm a bit more likely to read on. There are some hooky elements:
1) the habitat - tells me we're not in Kansas anymore
2) months of inactivity

but no hints about the reason for the inactivity or her reaction to whoever's at the door to keep me going.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheOnceandFutureMe
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with kings_falcon. There's just not much conflict here. A lot of the sentences seem wordy.

"Delita ran a hand through her hair, it felt greasy and dirty" becomes "Delita ran a hand through her greasy hair."

"She struggled to rise to her feet. Months of inactivity had left her muscles weak and they already ached by the time she reached the wall" becomes something like: "She hobbled to the door. Months of inactivity had left her muscles weak and aching."

"There was only one person it could be; and so she didn’t even bother looking through the viewer before slapping the switch" becomes: "She didn't bother looking through the viewer before slapping the switch." You don't need the first part. As soon as the door opens it will become apparent that it's always the same person. And if you decide to keep that line, at least shorten it to something like "She knew who it'd be."

"The aluminium slats creaked and groaned and shifted, and then came to a juddering halt a metre from the ground" becomes: "The aluminium slats creaked and shifted, then halted a metre from the ground."

I just cut between 10-20 percent of your word count. That's between 400-1000 words of your final product. That means your 5000 word story could probably be told in 4000 words.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
The girl's attitude implies much. She's certain of the same-old same-old, but there wouldn't be a story if that were the case. The hook is subtle, not explosive. I'm asking why "mute," why "inactive," as well as wondering what is going to shake up this sad routine. Please, send the rest. I need to find out.
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Send it through, I'll read the whole thing.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.