Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "Mage Gold" - revised

Author Topic: "Mage Gold" - revised
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
I submitted a version of this one several weeks ago and appreciate everyone's comments that led to revisions - especially monstewer, who critiqued the ugly rough draft. I'm far more pleased with this version. The story now runs to just over 11k, and as always, I'd appreciate intrepid readers for the whole thing. Thanks!
---
This time, Shade Starling wasn't sure she'd escape.
The rapid thud of the guards' boots, the jingle of their mail hauberks, were close behind her. She anticipated the cold sting of a halberd's blade in her back.
"Stop, thieves!" the sergeant shouted again. "By order of the emperor!" He sounded out of breath after chasing his quarry down the lamp-lit stretches of Mytra Boulevard.
Ahead, Shade's companion dodged right. A dark side street swallowed him. Ailandyr was as fleet as any full-blooded elphine, but he held back, never out of Shade's reach. "Not giving up, are they?" he panted. "You have powder?"
"Aye," Shade grunted, the stitch in her side like a fiery brand.
"Good. Down here." Ailandyr turned down an alley. Towering

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KPKilburn
Member # 6876

- posted      Profile for KPKilburn   Email KPKilburn         Edit/Delete Post 
Second attempt at this. Lost the first one...

The rapid thud of the guards' boots, the jingle of their mail hauberks, were close behind her. She anticipated the cold sting of a halberd's blade in her back.

Maybe change the order. If you're going to go for "in media res", then dive into the action then get inside Shade's head.

Perhaps...

Shade anticipated the sting of a halberd's blade in her back as the rhythmic pounding of boots and the jingle of mail hauberks closed on her. She wasn't sure she'd escape this time.

"Stop, thieves!" the sergeant shouted again. "By order of the emperor!" He sounded out of breath after chasing his quarry down the lamp-lit stretches of Mytra Boulevard.

I think this is a POV violation. Shade wouldn't refer to herself as "quarry". She may be trying to get into the guard's head, but the way it's written, it seems to violate POV. May want to get other thoughts on this.

Ahead, Shade's companion dodged right. A dark side street swallowed him. Ailandyr was as fleet as any full-blooded elphine, but he held back, never out of Shade's reach. "Not giving up, are they?" he panted. "You have powder?"

I like the action of this, so it's probably good to get to it quickly. I'd recommend that you try to distinguish this from just "any other old chase scene" somehow.

Is the powder magical and important? If so, maybe illustrate it...

Ailandyr pulled Shade along urging her to keep up. He pawed at her sides with his free hand.

"Powder! Where is it?" he said between gasps for air.

He found the small satchel and ripped it from her belt.

"This way," he yelled as he released his grip on her and bolted down an alleyway.

Maybe not the best example, but try to crank up the urgency and excitement a little since you're asking the reader to join Shade in the middle of some action.

[This message has been edited by KPKilburn (edited December 05, 2008).]

Posts: 172 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
...This time...Was there a time before? You can't do this it kmakes it feel like the middle of the story, like I missed a bit.

...She anticipated the cold sting of a halberd's blade in her back...I would imagine 'cold sting' to be a little lame for a description of a person being cut down by a blade. Were it me I would be thinking more in terms of searing pain. Cold? An unrequired detail. Who cares whether the blade is cold or warm? Besides cold steel (of which this is version) is a cliche.

..."Stop, thieves!" the sergeant shouted again...Again? He hasn't done it before in the story so far, so for us it is the first time. You should say 'for the second time' and not use the word 'again'.

I think you should mention the companion earlier, and name him at the first mention.

Otherwise the rest is good. (panted? grunted? Too many said bookisms in a too short an excerpt)

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

skadder,

You wrote "...This time...Was there a time before? You can't do this it kmakes it feel like the middle of the story, like I missed a bit." I really hope that "you can't do this" is a typo or something.

I studied opening lines in some of my favorite published works before I decided how to open this scene. For instance, the opening of GRRM's "A Game of Thrones": " 'We should start back,' Gared urged..." I'd say that starts in the exact middle of a crisis.

Or "Later, it was said the man came from the north..." - the opening of Andrzej Sapkowski's "The Witcher." Which pattern I used directly.

Or from literature, if you like, "And after all the weather was ideal." - the opening line from Katherine Mansfield's "The Garden-Party."

My use of "This time" certainly implies there was a time before. I chose it very carefully for that reason. And you haven't missed anything if the present crisis is the point of the scene, but a reader should unmistakably pick up on the fact that this thief has gotten into trouble before.

However, I certainly agree with your opinion of the word "cold." A cliche, yes, but if a blade were to stab you, I imagine it would feel frightfully cold, as a matter of *fact*, not cliche.

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

'You can't do this is' wasn't a typo, nor was it appropriate. Of course, you may do exactly as you please and it is not my place to tell you what you can or can't do.

Apologies.

What I meant is that I wouldn't do this and neither would I recommend you do it. There is nothing wrong with starting in a middle of crisis, in fact it is a great place to start--providing I care enough about the characters to be carried along. I have no problem with that. The three examples that you give I have no problem with as they bear no resemblance to your opening line. You could list a million different opening lines and they wouldn't be the same as yours.

My concern with your opening line is minor--'this time'. It refers to/implies other times, when I am not even grounded in this moment you are writing about. You are wasting words when you could be creating clarity in the picture you are trying to paint. Who is shade and where are they...what is she doing and why?

quote:
"Stop, thieves!" the sergeant shouted again. "By order of the emperor!"

You have written the whole of the above yet there is nothing in to suggest that Shade Starling is running yet (the guards are running--but that doesn't mean she is). She could be stationary and desperately trying to open a door.

If Shade is belting down an alley way that is vital information, yet you don't show this for a significant period.

No...I don't believe that a halberd hammering into my back like an axe would feel 'cold', nor would it 'sting'. If someone slapped me around the face that would sting; if someone put an ice cube down my back it would be cold.

Your use of cold smacks of the cold steel cliche.

Cold steel is a cliche...it has been over used.

Of course, you can use that if you so wish--I am only trying to point out something an editor would perhaps notice and think you were being lazy in that you rely on a cliche rather than doing something new.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 05, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
My take:

quote:

This time, Shade Starling wasn't sure she'd escape. [Immediately, I wonder how many times she's tried to escape.]
The rapid thud of the guards' boots, the jingle of their mail hauberks, were close behind her. She anticipated the cold sting of a halberd's blade in her back. [Nice action. You could have left "her" off of the "close behind" to add a little more immediacy, but that's just a nit.]
"Stop, thieves!" [You mean thief, right?]the sergeant shouted again. "By order of the emperor!" He sounded out of breath after chasing his quarry down the lamp-lit stretches of Mytra Boulevard.
Ahead, Shade's companion[Okay, you might have let me know shad had a companion in the first sentence. You didn't have to get specific, but let me know she's not alone, so I don't stop here and wonder where a companion came from.] dodged right. A dark side street swallowed him. Ailandyr[Is this her "companion, or another?] was as fleet as any full-blooded elphine, but he held back, never out of Shade's reach. "Not giving up, are they?" he panted[IMHO:said, because if he's holding back, he's not going to sound like he's sprinting]. "You have powder?"
"Aye," Shade grunted, the stitch in her sidewhat stitch in her side? Literal? A sudden pain?] like a fiery brand.<--[There's a word missing, too. was like a fiery brand?]

I like that you put me in the action. You settled the question of "when" right off, and did it well. Altogether it has a hook.

My main problems were with the surprise of her companion, and the clunkiness of the first and second sentences.

Not bad. I'd probably turn the page (or scroll down, whichever the case).

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder, just to interject, you do know that cold steel is a type/rating of steel, right? It is, in fact, the strongest type. 440 stainless is another step down, and 420 another after that.

A nickle plated gun, cold steel knife or sword, glare resistant scope and a 70 gun frigate are all specific types of things, not clichés.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. I'll read.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have issue with the first line starting with "This time." It spoke to me and told me that the character had found herself in dangerous situations before and added a bit of mystery and excitement to her. I don't need anything else spelled out early on to tell me about this aspect of her, those two words are enough.

I do have a minor issue with the lines: 'Ahead, Shade's companion dodged right. A dark side street swallowed him. Ailandyr was as fleet as any full-blooded elphine, but he held back, never out of Shade's reach. "Not giving up, are they?" he panted. "You have powder?"'

You have her companion ahead of her and dodging right, and being swallowed by the side street. To me, this implies that he left her and she continued on her current path. There is no mention that she followed him and I found it jarring when he started talking to her. It seemed to me that they separated to throw the guard off their trail.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this a lot. I would turn the page. I only had a few minor nits:

"Stop, thieves!" the sergeant shouted again. "By order of the emperor!" He sounded out of breath after chasing his quarry down the lamp-lit stretches of Mytra Boulevard. this sentence was kinda clunky and takes away from the urgency. I get the feeling that she's pretty cool under fire, even if she thinks she might not get away with it. However, it seems logical the soldier is out of breath if he's been running, and frankly, I don't really care that the soldier is out of breath. The purpose of this sentence, as I see it, is that it suggests they've been running for a while and where they've been running. IMO, there's probably a better way to convey this info.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yes,IB, I know a nickle-plated gun is a thing. I also know the other things in your list are things.

I am aware of cold rolled steel, but can find no reference to specifically identify and define 'cold steel'.

http://tinyurl.com/mvnuu

Doubtless there is one somewhere.

There are a fair few types of steel that are are 'stronger' (tensile strength) than cold rolled steel.

'Cold steel' is a commonly used phrase. There is even a company that manufactures knives under it as a trade name.

However, that is all irrelevant. This discussion was based on the imagined sensation of the steel on Shades back--its temperature, not on its carbon content. I very much doubt you could ascertain either the temperature of the steel or, for that matter, its carbon content, while fleeing with your back to said 'cold steel' or with it lodged in your back.

quote:
A cliche, yes, but if a blade were to stab you, I imagine it would feel frightfully cold, as a matter of *fact*, not cliche.

Kate Elliot ( http://tinyurl.com/6noka4 )critiqued one of my own early 13 lines on one of her websites. I used the phrase 'cold steel' and she said it was a cliche. Cliche is a matter of opinion...and I guess I accepted the opinion of a highly successful author and added it to my list of personal no-nos.

I guess if you think it isn't cliche then use it.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 05, 2008).]

C L Lynn
Member # 8007

Wow! This is the first time one of my entries has sparked a debate. This is great!

I did, at one point, agree with you, snapper, that the use of "cold" here is a cliche, and I'll probably take it out. The use of "sting" is also weak. Any suggestions, anyone?

As far as the first line goes, it stays now as a matter of principle.

And thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment!

[This message has been edited by C L Lynn (edited December 06, 2008).]

skadder
Member # 6757

Hey, don't insult snapper by calling me him! I am skadder.
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

Sorry, my bad. I was just looking at something of snapper's, plus worrying about domestic emergencies. A sewer backing up is rather distracting.

[This message has been edited by C L Lynn (edited December 06, 2008).]

dinoroxxx
Member # 8344

- posted      Profile for dinoroxxx           Edit/Delete Post 
C.L.

I like what you've got started here. It has sparked the interest to read on, that's a GREAT SUCCESS in your first 13. The characters have started to pique some interest, I want to know more about the action. I even want to know more about the whole town/city/setting you have constructed with this opening.

Some things could be tightened further. That is a good thing.

You Wrote:

I'm just throwing some stuff out here but:
Tighten 'shouted again' further if possible.
'He sounded out of breath', this can certainly be tightend and in turn strengthend.

Further polishing and tightening will strenghten a good start here.

Just a couple of thoughts. Good stuff, all hopes of success to you!

Posts: 14 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.