Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Readers for a pair of flashes?

Author Topic: Readers for a pair of flashes?
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, gang. I'm tinkering with a couple of flashes. They're unrelated to each other, except they're both about teenagers, so I guess that's the connection -- plus I'm working on them both today, so there's another connection.

Anybody have time to read and offer thoughts? They total, together, probably 1500 words. Be happy to crit something in exchange.

They've both been read before, but probably not here, and not in their current versions, and not for a long time.

Genre: lit
Tone: grim

BELL STREET

Key watched the girl for a long time before he knew her name. It was Mara, she told him. Twice a week he walked to Roosevelt, usually with his hands in his pockets, to see her. Where he came from, there weren’t any black girls. There was shale, and shrub, and there were valleys between plateaus, and there were coal-miners and eye-doctors and there were creeks and Pioneer Parks.

BACKWARDS COUNTING

On Punk Farm, they make your sister swallow cigarettes.

They try to shave your head while you're asleep, but you wake up; and there's a moment before you remember who they are, and who you are, when all you can comprehend is the presence of dark figures and the sound of some kind of electric buzzing in the room where you were just dreaming -- and you think What's happening?

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure thing. I clearly don't have enough to do today.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, great, thanks. I've sent you an email.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
Replied with comments.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.