Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Abhijat's Job

Author Topic: Abhijat's Job
Andrew McLennan-Murray
Member # 8333

- posted      Profile for Andrew McLennan-Murray   Email Andrew McLennan-Murray         Edit/Delete Post 
New Title: Abhi's Job
Speculative Fiction, approx 5,000 words. Looking for comments on second draft of first 13 and volunteers to read the whole thing.

First 13, Second Draft:
“Abhijat Rao, I’m more than pleased to issue you the rank of Earth Technology Guard III,” my boss announced with his usual smooth, gracious tone. My colleagues applauded, some politely, a few with genuine enthusiasm. I pushed my way around the crowd toward the podium, nearly falling into one of the sustainable food troughs which lined the walls. Clearing my throat, I tried to think of something grateful to say; instead, a mixture of insults waltzed into my head, most of them partying around my boss’s ridiculous post-recycled-corn based pants.

“You must be polite, Abhi, always polite,” I heard my mother’s voice echo in my mind. True to my upbringing, I remained calm and graceful, extending my hand for an old fashioned shaking. I threw in a calculated chuckle and heartfelt grin for good

First Draft:
Abhijat Rao, I’m pleased to anoint you the new rank of Earth Technology Guard III,” my boss announced with his usual smooth, gracious tone. My colleagues applauded, as is their custom. I thought a camera flash went off but it was just the light reflecting from my boss’s uncannily perfect teeth.

“You must be polite, Abhi, always polite” I heard my mother’s voice echo in my mind. True to my family training, I remained calm and graceful, returning the handshake. I added in a calculated chuckle and heartfelt grin for good measure. Unfortunately this encouraged my boss to produce a hug. He smelled of Patchouli and sweat.

My mettle was then tested by an hour of post-ceremony reception.

[This message has been edited by Andrew McLennan-Murray (edited January 19, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 21, 2009).]

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It helps if you give people a little information: how long this story is, what kind of feedback you'd like (just on the posted 13 lines, whether readers would want to turn the page, and/or volunteers to read the whole thing), and so on.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andrew,

Pleased to meet you. Now let's see what you got going...

quote:
"Abhijat Rao, I’m pleased to anoint you the new rank of Earth Technology Guard III,”

This is the only potenial hooky line in your opening. The new job sounds almost interesting. However, the dialog sounds unnatural for an office announcement. Especially the 'anoint'. I imagine it to sound something like...

quote:
"...I am pleased to announce that Abhijat Rao is now the new Earth Technology Guard!"

quote:
my boss announced with his usual smooth, gracious tone.

I liked how you used the descriptive sounds of his bosses voice in place of a speech tag. Well done.

quote:
My colleagues applauded, as is their custom.

This however is clunky. Maybe something like...

quote:
As expected, my colleagues applauded politely.

quote:
I thought a camera flash went off but it was just the light reflecting from my boss’s uncannily perfect teeth.

Seems a bit to bright to me. Unless the boss is an alien, you may want tone down the ilumination of those teeth.

quote:
“You must be polite, Abhi, always polite” I heard my mother’s voice echo in my mind.

I recommend you italicise the thoughts in his head instead of quotation marks.

quote:
True to my family training,

try 'upbringing' instead of 'family training'.

quote:
I remained calm and graceful, returning the handshake.

Hmmm, the first part of that sentence seems forced. Maybe...

quote:
I graciously returned my bosses handshake.

quote:
I added in a calculated chuckle and heartfelt grin for good measure. Unfortunately this encouraged my boss to produce a hug. He smelled of Patchouli and sweat.

Not bad. I like it.

This entire piece still lacks a hook. I suggest you put out what a Earth Technology Guard is up front. This reads just as you wrote it, a mundane office promotion.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a mild hook for me--the thought that this guy is just barely containing himself when he should be patting himself on the back for the promotion. To really work, though, I think we need just a little more. I know he has issues with his boss, but I'm unclear on how he feels about his boss. Anger? Resentment? Disdain? Impatience? Lust? All of these emotions could actually work here. I would read for another paragraph or two but I'd be looking for clarification pretty quickly.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew McLennan-Murray
Member # 8333

- posted      Profile for Andrew McLennan-Murray   Email Andrew McLennan-Murray         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting! Thanks snapper and annepin for the feedback!

@Snapper Re: family training. I'm changing this as you suggest - I felt it was a strange thing to say as well. Same with the line about applause. It didn't quite say exactly what I wanted it to.

Re: The hook - should be, as annepin mentioned, the fact that this guy isn't all that excited about his fancy-sounding promotion (and therefore frustrated and forced to endure a party in honor of something he doesn't desire). I didn't want to reveal specifically what an Earth Guard was quite yet because it's core to the universe in which the character lives. Suggestions on language to bring out the fact that "this guy is just barely containing himself when he should be patting himself on the back for the promotion" would be amazing!

As per Kathleen's suggestion, here's some more information about the story:

1. First 13 lines. What I'm looking for: I mostly want to know if you'd be interested in reading the full story based on the first 13, suggestions on how to clean up the language are also welcome. Please shout if you feel a line or concept seems cliche or difficult to understand (or if you love a concept!). I would certainly accept volunteers to read the whole thing once it's done - just lmk.

2. Length - TBD - Currently 2,200 words - final length will probably be somewhere between 3,500 - 5,000 depending on how far I want to take it.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can say that your guy doesn't sound excited the least bit so you accomplished that. I can also say that it isn't exciting me as well. This needs a hook and since you don't want to say what a ETG is you better find another angle.
If you are hoping to draw the reader in by your MC's indifference to his promotion, then you better use humor.

Trust me, that ain't easy. Do you think you could get the reader to chuckle with your first 13? That is what it will take to get someone to read the next 13, and then you better find a sharp hook there.

Unfortunately, the gleamy teeth isn't funny, just weird. You will either need to put something visually funny in the first 13 OR make his take on the promotion amusing. And as someone that routinely tries to hook with humor, I am going to say that you have a very tall task indeed.

Give it a go. I'll check out your next rewrite.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Roy
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Just a minor: the name "Abhijat" sounds semitic; semitic personal names ending in t are feminine; but based on your comments, the character seems to be male.

I'm not saying you should change it, just that you should be aware of this aspect in case it matters to you.

Ard-choille,
Rob Roy.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Young
Member # 8421

- posted      Profile for Tim Young   Email Tim Young         Edit/Delete Post 
Two things I noticed-

1. Your use of the word anoint. I'm guessing that you used this word to imply that these people place much importance on their work, even to the point of it being religious. But I don't think you used it quite the right way. Instead of saying "(I) anoint you the new rank of Earth Technology Guard III" I think it would be more correct to say something like "I'm pleased to anoint you as the new(est) Earth Technology Gaurd III".

2. "My colleagues applauded, as is their custom." Unlike some of the others, I don't think there's anything wrong with this sentence, per se. However, as soon as I read it I immediately asked myself whether or not the narrator was specifically addressing an audience who is overtly unfamiliar with what the narrator is discussing (ie, early 21st century earthlings). If so, then there is nothing wrong with the sentence. But, if the narrator is talking to people of his own kind, or, more specifically, people who already are familiar with his circumstances then I think the sentence needs modification, eg- something more like what snapper suggested.

On the whole I was interested in reading more. To me, finding out more about the character's circumstances can be as much of a hook in a speculative fiction story as the events themselves.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew McLennan-Murray
Member # 8333

@Rob Roy - Thanks for the warning. The character is Indian, but I'm glad you point out the similarity to semitic names becuase the rest of the story has quite a few that *are* meant to be semitic. I may have to think about changing the protagonist's name if this confuses my story.

[This message has been edited by Andrew McLennan-Murray (edited January 19, 2009).]

Andrew McLennan-Murray
Member # 8333

@Tim Young - I changed anoint to issue but now I'm starting to regret it. It was intended to imply, as you say, that there were cultural differences around the perception of work. Ack, how should a person decide when things are so close?

I also changed the other line you commented on, "as is their custom" because I agreed with Snapper that it stood out as a bit odd (not necessarily wrong, but just odd) and while I'm not opposed to writing odd things; when I do I like it to be with purpose.

Both the term anoint and the 'as is their custom' were meant to give the reader a sense that the English used by the chacter was a little off, perhaps because he was part of this alternate society, perhaps because he was just a little odd himself. Either way, I decided after reading the comments here that it wasn't implying what I wanted it to imply. Or at least that it might not be. So I've attempted to clean up that ambiguity some in the re-write.

I've not done much editing - I just seem to write first drafts of everything - never looking back. How do you know when you're done? I think I need to find an in person intense writing workshop. Does anyone know of any good ones in San Francisco (hopefully, specifically geared toward Science Ficiton)?

Andrew McLennan-Murray
Member # 8333

Made some more updates to the second draft.
Tim Young
Member # 8421

- posted      Profile for Tim Young   Email Tim Young         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to read the whole thing.

I read a couple of the stories on your blogger sight and liked them. I'd be happy to give you my thoughts on those too, if you'd like.

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the waltzing insults.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.