Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Through Blood and Ice (military sci fi)

Author Topic: Through Blood and Ice (military sci fi)
Marcellios
Member # 7792

- posted      Profile for Marcellios           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first short story I fully expect to complete, unlike my others, which have either been lost or abandoned.

The day was September 18, 2130, the time was 14:40, and on the distant planet of Fellodon, the slow sunrise was obscured by smoke and snow. Neil Richter, the newest recruit of the 31st Lunar Division, opened the back hatch of his falcon-class warmech and stepped out, climbing down a thirty-foot rope to the icy ground. He stepped around his vehicle, examining the damage it had sustained during the battle he had fought only minutes earlier. Small burn marks and bullet dents dotted the surface of the vehicles thin armor plating. Neil examined the weak armor joints closely and did not notice any damage, much to his surprise. His warmech was a scouting type, not as heavily armored as a true fighting mech – he had suspected that it would have taken considerably more damage from the light

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 09, 2009).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Marcellios

It sounds like you’ve got the plot, characters, etc. of this short all mapped out, which is a great start.

My personal opinion of the 1st 13 is that it’s a little bit thick and that it mightn’t actually be the true starting point of the story. The set-up has potential in that there is an inherently tense situation, but you might need to shuffle things a bit to increase the hook of the 1st 13.

Firstly, I think you can trim the opening sentence; the date and time isn’t particularly significant in the context of the story (after all, as soon as you talk about the lunar division or the warmech, we know it’s the distant future). The “slow sunrise” line is also a bit confusing…that implies that there’s enough smoke and snow to obscure all of the sunrise whereas I think you mean that the sunrise is obscured from his initial position in the cockpit of the warmech. Either way, I don’t think it’s a detail that adds much to the scene-setting. The icy-ground establishes the weather (as well as his hatred for snow).

From the POV of a reader who isn’t that into “military” sci-fic (so please take this advice with a grain of salt…detail may well be the lifeblood of this particular sub-genre), all I really need to know about the set-up is that his vehicle/spacecraft has been damaged in battle, the damage isn’t as bad as he had feared, but now he has to make his way to camp in a time of war. That’s the hook as far as I’m concerned.

I’d also be wary that the opening of the story is essentially going to have Neil walking down the road for a while before anything actually happens. Is there anything stopping you from placing him just before his first “encounter” (whatever it is)?

Logically, I do have some points of confusion…the set-up seems to suggest that he’s made an emergency landing, yet he’s managed to do so where there is a makeshift hanger and newly paved road. Why not just fly straight to the camp if he’s capable of picking out a safe location to land his warmech (the fact that he’s comfortable parking it in a hanger that’s large enough to hold a 30 foot + spacecraft suggests that it belongs to his own army)? “Makeshift” also seems a bit unlikely given the implied size of the warmech.

Minor point; just saying “he’d always hated snow” gets what you need across.

Cheers and good luck with finishing it,

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy what I've read, I'll give a couple suggestions.

I feel, like Nick, that this might not be the best starting point. Hearing about the things that happened to the warmech, makes me want to experience the battle he has just partaken in. Like Nick, I don't feel the time is necessary.

I feel that the start lacks some umph. You're describing things, and I like how its described, but what I really want is the conflict. Perhaps ease some of the description into some other paragraphs, so its not so bulky in the beginning, and moves along quicker.

Keep it up, I enjoyed what I read.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this seems a strange place to start the story. You have a guy who has come out of a fight relatively unscathed--very little hook there. I'd think that you might be better either starting this in the middle of the fight and showing us who he is fighting against or later on when you get to the main meat of the story.
Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to vouch for the might not be the right starting point, unless: the fact that he survived the battle unscathed is a main element in the piece. If this is the case i would suggest playing up to it more.

You have set a scene nicely, its just not an overly exicting scene, it needs some conflict or something to draw me in.

I had no problems with the writing itself, and the scene if it were a second or third scene and i had already felt for the character it it wouldnt be bad.

Good luck.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it but am with the others. I would liked to have seen the battle.

I love mechs!

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcellios
Member # 7792

- posted      Profile for Marcellios           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll write up the battle sequence and fix the little problems in these 13 lines. The warmech actually walks around, but I couldn't think of a word besides hangar to use. "Makeshift" does seem a bit out of place, yeah.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
You haven't asked for readers... But when you have finished this story know that I am an avid mechwarrior fan and willing reader--also because of this your writing would have to be pretty lousy to put me off. You know if you're looking for an ego boost.

I can just feel the reverbations as its steel feet connect with the earth:shivers:

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tim Young
Member # 8421

- posted      Profile for Tim Young   Email Tim Young         Edit/Delete Post 
I, for one, was not put off by the fact that the story starts immediately after a skirmish has ended. I felt like there was still enough tension hanging around to keep me interested. I mean, he's a scout right? So the fact that he just took out one enemy unit doesn't mean there's not another just over the next ridge.

The one thing that I thought was odd was the main character's use of a rope to descend from the cockpit. If humanity has progressed to the point that we've visited new solar systems and use walking land-based vehicles rather than rolling ones, then why are we using ropes to climb out of them? Seems kind of ungainly. How about rungs welded to the mech's legs? Or was this intended to show that the normal method of exit was damaged in the skirmish?

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.