Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Vengal's Hunt - Fantasy WIP

Author Topic: Vengal's Hunt - Fantasy WIP
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
Any feedback is appreciated. This is a fantasy that will probably finish out around 8-10k words. How is the hook? The style?

--

The scent of smoke was fading from Tirel’s clothes, but the screams were still as loud as ever in his ears. The Vengal were back there, still on his trail. They called to him in the few moments of fitful sleep he was able to grab when exhaustion overtook him. -Why does it run from us? It cannot escape.- The words spurred him on, forced him to fight through the burning in his lungs, the heaviness in his legs.
“Wicked spirits! Leave me be!” Tirel screamed into the forest behind him. What was the use of trying to be quiet? He saw them under every bush, behind every tree. He heard them with the snap of every twig. Their steps moved in time with the pounding of his heart. -Stay and let us catch it. It can join it’s family again.-

*note* I used dashes only because I wasn't sure how to get italics to show...

[This message has been edited by Bycin (edited January 09, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Bycin (edited January 09, 2009).]

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
The scent of smoke was fading from Tirel’s clothes, but the screams were still as loud as ever in his ears. Might read better if it was just "...the screams were still loud in his ears."

They called to him in the few moments of fitful sleep he was able to grab when exhaustion overtook him. -Why does it run from us? It cannot escape.- The words spurred him on, forced him to fight through the burning in his lungs, the heaviness in his legs. I had a bit of a problem with this part. So they call to him in his sleep? But they are asking each other questions, not calling to him. And why do they only talk while he's trying to sleep?

Apart from those small points I quite enjoyed this opening. I think you have a good hook and it seems a good place to start the story. Good luck with it!

To get italics to show put [i] before the part you want italicizing and the same at the end, just with a / before the i.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

Thanks for the help with the italics and for your critique, Monstrewr. Much appreciated.

The Vengal are a somewhat primitive, cannibalistic tribe led by mystics with the ability to enter the dreams of their prey. They have a semi-collective mentality (think of the tribe as one being, but each individual is separate) and consider themselves apart from the other humans of the world. The "it" and "us" are how they refer to both their prey and themselves. This (I hope) is made clear not soon after they opening, but I can definitely see now how it could be confusing.

I'll have to think of a way to restructure so I don't leave people wondering.

Thanks again!

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked the first sentence alot, except the loud as ever part. I might suggest "the screams still rung in his ears."

Also the few moments, took me out of the read. If you lost it might read stronger. "They called to him in the fitful sleep he grabbed when exhaustion finally claimed him.

I am not a large fan of dialogue tags so the screamed doesnt fit my eyes. I would sugget trying a beat. Tirel spun towards the forest behind him. "Wicked..."

It hooked me and seemed to be a good place to start. Well done.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. Just practicing my italicizing

Woohoo! I got it to work! Excellent. I couldn't figure it out either. I guess this works for bold and quote, too? Thanks, monstewer.

[This message has been edited by C L Lynn (edited January 09, 2009).]

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
Ooo, I'd read on, see if Tirel escapes. I agree with Tiergan except on the comment about the dialog tag. I love them and use them, though sparingly. Done right, that one word can add much. Overused and tags are distracting, sure. But I suggest keeping this one. If Tirel just "says" his line, then I certainly wouldn't get that panicked urgency. Good job.
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

I've been picking up and putting down this story for a while now, unable to really get it to a point I am really happy with. I've posted a slightly revised first thirteen, and the total word count so far is just over 1000 words. If anyone would be interested in reading and offering a critique, I would appreciate it. I can't quite put my finger on what I don't like.

The scent of smoke was fading from Tirel’s clothes, but the screams continued to echo in his ears. The Vengal were still back there, still on his trail. They called to him during the fitful sleep he was only able to grab when exhaustion overtook him. Why does it run from us? It cannot escape. The voice in his head spurred him on, forced him to fight through the burning in his lungs, the heaviness in his legs.
“Wicked spirits! Leave me be!” Tirel’s voice was ragged as it was swallowed by the forest. What was the use of trying to be quiet? He saw them under every bush, behind every tree. He heard them with the snap of every twig. Their steps moved in time with the pounding of his heart. Stay and let us catch it. It can join it’s family again. He stopped and leaned against the trunk of an old

[This message has been edited by Bycin (edited February 06, 2009).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I like!

I'd keep reading. Minor grammar stuff that has already beeen mentioned.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.