Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » I Hate Spiders / sci-fi short story / first 13 lines

Author Topic: I Hate Spiders / sci-fi short story / first 13 lines
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
this story is a prequel I'm doing for my "Rhinoplasty" series/// it is 900 words and begging readers //does it hook? would you read on? ver 1 /
quote:
The tarantula movie I saw when I was five years old soured me on spiders forever. When Earth's first encounter with an alien race turned into a battle against the spider-like Tarans, I was one of the first to enlist.
Yep, they're big, hairy spiders that use tools. It would take some doing for me to change my way of thinking too.
Dad had me in a crop duster as soon as I could see over the cockpit or I would've enlisted as a grunt. Spider food. When I told the recruiter of my flying experience they crash-coursed me on a Wasp, one of our new, ultra manueverable, fighters.
Clever name, Wasp. They named it for the Tarantula Hawk Wasp. You know, the one that stings tarantulas and

ver 2 /
quote:
My first sortie. We dropped from a Wasp carrier to a Taran colony world. Taran Four. We expected heavy resistance.
They met us as soon as we dropped through the atmosphere. Their ships were bigger, faster, more heavily armored, and more numerous than ours. Our ships had better guns and were more maneuverable.
Our formation was busted like a falcon hitting a flock of pigeons. It quickly became a one-on-one free-for-all. I had two kills before I took my first hits.
The Taran on my six was good. Every jink I took he corrected for. It was only a matter of time. I saw a long shot in another Taran that crossed in front of me.

[This message has been edited by honu (edited January 22, 2009).]

Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Not so hooked. Guy hates spiders. Spiders are invading Earth. What we get though is a great deal of back story which wasn't all that interesting to me. It feels, well, familiar, I guess.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alan1701
Member # 9186

- posted      Profile for alan1701   Email alan1701         Edit/Delete Post 
Not hooked. Everything seems to hinge on the spider thing and it just doesn't work for me.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

spiders aside for a minute//// it seems to have too much backstory for a beginning ///thanks

Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Now it feels like a sped-up version of Starship Troopers.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
ditto.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

And that my friends is why 13 lines doesn't always give one a great feel for the story/// The offer stands for readers (its a 900 word flash)///It is QUITE a bit different than Starship Troopers/// Though I admit I am quite a fan of Heinlein I think (and only because I know it differs so much) I will accept the comments at face value////it feels like Heinlein/// that might not be such a bad thing//// thanks again EP Kaplan and annepin/// this is one of five stories I have so far in my Rhinoplasty series

Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the second version a lot more. Though, this line really bothers me:

" Our formation was busted like a falcon hitting a flock of pigeons."

The analogy doesn't really do it for me. Nor does the verb "Busted". Could just be personal preference, though.

Keep it up, I thought it was interesting. If its indeed 900 words, feel free to mail it. May take me a bit to get to, but I'll find the time eventually.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that simile would work better for you if you'd actually seen a falcon hit a flock of pigeons (or in my case it was a kestrel hitting a flock of sparrows--BAM! EXPLODE/SCATTER!).
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.