Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Short personal narrative; Need readers.

Author Topic: Short personal narrative; Need readers.
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys. I'm writing this personal narrative for my English class. I'd really like it if I could get some feedback. It's a short piece, around ~800 words. Tell me what you think.

quote:

Our hands--layered in drying mud--fidgeted together as the enemies approached. They talked and laughed, basketball in hand, as they inched closer to the hoop. Our hoop. We lay hidden in the trees and shrubs, silent save the crackling of leaves underfoot as we twitched impatiently.

Today would be a day of vindication.

Jason, my best friend at the time, held his eyes on the nearest boy. His name, we knew, was Casey; one of the villains. One of the intruders of our fort.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Send it over. I will be travelling today, but I should be able to return it tommorow.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Thanks Scott! I'll finish editing it early today, and send it your way. The final draft isn't due for another week, so take your time.

Thanks a bunch.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CAPreston
Member # 8423

- posted      Profile for CAPreston   Email CAPreston         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll read it. Send it to me.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
The first line made me think of soldiers in muddy WW1 trenches. When they turned out to be kids I just thought the first line was brilliant. Good job. I don't think "inched" is the correct word in the second sentence because they are at walking pace. They are not actually up in the trees are they? Doesn't sound like it so perhaps say, "under the trees in the shrubs" or remove the word trees. I like the writing and the scene so far.

I'll read it.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Thanks a lot Tnwilz. That was exactly the kind of feel I was trying to give with the first sentence.

As for everyone who said they'll read it... Give me just a few.

I decided to let it sit so I could get a 'new view' on it. After doing so, I found a few things I didn't like. And as such, I'm going to be doing a little bit of rewriting before I send it out.

If for any reason you can't read it when I send it out, let me know.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.