Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Blanked

Author Topic: Blanked
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Story is about 7000 words. Thoughts and comments on the intro for now, thanks.

Something is very wrong, but I can’t put it together. I don’t know what I’m doing here. I’m sitting and staring at a status screen as it repeatedly rolls through the ship’s systems, but it’s doing nothing to help me with my problem. Where am I, or more important, who am I? My mind is clear but I’m confused. I understand all the information as it scrolls across the screen. I recognize this as a standard automated container ship, the sort used to cheaply supply space stations and frontier worlds. My brain is filled with information about life and technology and yet, I have no recollections of my personal life prior to this very moment. No memory of a childhood or parents. No memory of how or when I learned any of the things I know about the technology around me.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited February 07, 2009).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know that your first line really fits with the rest of the piece. There is something wrong, but he -has- put it together. He's lost his memory. He might not know how or why, but it doesn't change that he's identified what is wrong.

As for the rest, I can't say that I am hooked enough to want to read any further. I've just read a few too many stories that involve amnesia.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey tnwilz,
I think you have an interesting premise here, but I was not hooked. This may just be my personal taste so, please, take it with a grain of salt. I didn't feel like I was actually in the characters head. He realizes he's lost his memory but he doesn't seem to react. Even if his reaction is to remain calm, I just think that, being in his head, I should feel it and I don't.
If you're looking for a hook, have something happen, even if it's just the MC getting his bearings.

~Christian

Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Yeah this is a tough one to get rolling. The theme is a future where prisons are no more. Inmates have their memories blanked and are put into a relocation program. Without the life that had led them to crime in their head anymore most never repeat. My MC has just awoken from stasis and is in a supply container arriving three and a half years out at a frontier world.

I think its a good theme and a good story but getting readers in might be tricky.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah this is a tough one to get rolling. The theme is a future where prisons are no more. Inmates have their memories blanked and are put into a relocation program. Without the life that had led them to crime in their head anymore most never repeat. My MC has just awoken from stasis and is in a supply container arriving three and a half years out at a frontier world.

Shades of 'The Demolished Man'. I like your premise and I mainly like how the intro reads. IMO you belabor the 'I don't remember' a touch more than you need to; with a little trimming you might be able to get further into the story.

quote:

Something is very wrong, but I can’t put it together. I don’t know what I’m doing here. I’m sitting and staring at a status screen as it repeatedly rolls [I found the alliteration distracting] through the ship’s systems, but it’s doing nothing to help me with my problem. Where am I, or more important, who am I? My mind is clear”,” but I’m confused. I understand all the information [“information” a bit bland here]as it scrolls across [Slight repetition. Cut the earlier sentence at, “staring at the status screen”?] the screen. I recognize this as [Perhaps “I know I am aboard” would read more naturally] a standard [”standard” doesn't mean much] automated container ship, the sort used to cheaply supply space stations and frontier worlds. My brain is filled with information about life and technology and yet, I have no recollections of my personal life prior to this very moment [You might want to consider shortening this to, “I have no recollection of a personal life]. No memory of a childhood or parents. [”And” starting a sentence with And isn't everyone's cup of tea, I know, but perhaps here...?]No memory of how or when I learned any of the things [“all” or “what I know” might be stronger] I know about the technology around me.

To give something like:

quote:

Something is very wrong, but I can’t put it together. I don’t know what I’m doing here. I’m sitting and staring at a status screen, but it’s doing nothing to help me with my problem. Where am I, or more important, who am I? My mind is clear, but I’m confused. I understand every line of the encoded data that scrolls across the screen. I know I am aboard an automated container ship, the sort used to cheaply supply space stations and frontier worlds. My brain is filled with information about life and technology and yet, I have no recollection of a personal life. No memory of a childhood or parents. And no memory of how or when I learned what I know about the technology around me.

You write so nicely that most of my “improvements” are probably just changes. Still, for what it's worth...

If and when you'd like a critique for the whole piece, I'd be glad to take a look at it.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Good to hear from you Toby. I had dropped out from writing for a while and I'm just getting warmed up again. I pulled a semi and an HM in WOTF in quick succession and rather than encourage me it just bummed me out. What a baby, huh! Its a pain coming close.

If you have anything going I'd gladly look at it. I love your writing style.

Back to the grindstone.

Tracy

Christian
Member # 7825

quote:

Hey Tracy,
After reading what you posted after my last comment, I think you have the opportunity for a great opening. When the MC wakes up, have him panicking. Where is he? What's going on? Then I think you can transition into the status screen nicely. Maybe he sees his pic and random bits of information scrolling beneath it so that he knows the info is about him? Maybe he wakes up confused and verging on the edge of distress but fights it down as he tries to figure out what's going on? I think either of those would be a good way to start based on your comments. Both of these give honest reactions to the reader.

And I like what Toby did with the paragraph, I would just add more urgency to the situation. I'd imagine waking up in this prison would be like waking up in a strange place after a night of panic. There's that initial twinge of terror as you wonder "Where am I?"

Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

It strikes me that while your premise is fresh and original, the way you start it looks like a tremendous cliché (i.e. the waking amnesiac). I think you need to flag it pretty quickly that you're trying something different.

quote:
My brain is filled with information about life and technology

If he knows about life and technology, then he’s probably going to be familiar with the process of memory blanking and relocation. He just doesn’t know what he’s done or who he was. If this kind of treatment is reserved for serious crimes, you’ve got an interesting set-up and I’d suggest that he’d be feeling pretty horrified not long after waking. Rather than having him confused about basics, you can leap straight into “where are they sending me?” and “what did I do?”

Anyway, just a suggestion for getting the story rolling.

Regards,

Nick

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited February 08, 2009).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like the description you gave of your story and I think it has great potential, but the intro itself did not hook me. The overall tone of the first person didn't feel quite right for a frantic situation, it felt overly detached. This is just my opinion, but I felt that it was too reality show confessional as if the speaker is telling someone what is happening, not experiencing it in the present moment. I fear I sound overly critical, but that's because overall I really liked this start. I am a fan of this type of story, and would love to read what you have.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

All right, I took Chris Owens advice that I was starting in the wrong place (Don't we always). This is going to be about one page and then a tild and the stuff I had originally started with.

“Brock Gossard, as a person having been found guilty of grievous crimes you are hereby ordered to undergo Neuro-blanking. Are there witnesses who have confirmed the identity of the subject in custody?” The Union Marshall was reading from some standard legal form for the benefit of the hospital; I guess they have to do it. The idiot warden and his stupid assistant stepped forward and mumbled some legal garbage. Frail men. I could easily have snapped both their stupid necks if I wasn’t wearing the collar. If I wasn’t strapped into the metal chair. I quit listening. Let the doctors listen if they want. Instead my eye settled on the nurse standing against the white wall staring at me. She was cute in her own way – I’d do her. A hand gripped my shoulder and I turned to its owner, my appointed lawyer, Bill.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited February 12, 2009).]

sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your new opening much better. I think you have an interesting idea and your old one didn't do it justice.
Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

Much better Tracy. I especially liked:

quote:

I quit listening. Let the doctors listen if they want. Instead my eye settled on the nurse standing against the white wall staring at me. She was cute in her own way – I’d do her.

Too funny. Completely unexpected, yet still in character. I would say this definitely has a great hook.

Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm coming in a bit late here, but I have to say I like the first version much better, and I was hooked.

I don't think the MC needs to panic to make it interesting. I remember when I woke up in the passenger seat of a car in a grocery store parking lot one time, with no memory of getting there. (I'd just come out of general anasthesia. A friend was driving me home and had stopped for an errand.) It wasn't panicky at all, maybe because of the drugs still in my system, and it didn't take long to put two and two together and put it into context. If memory wipes are common in the MC's society, and he's a criminal, surely he's wondered often what he would do if it happened to him, and wouldn't be too horribly surprised when it did.

To have the MC panic, I think, buys too much into the amnesia cliche.

The hook for me was the mystery of how he got where he was and why. I wanted to experience it along with the MC. To give it all away, as you do in the second version, makes it lose its appeal to me.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMPAglut
Member # 8484

- posted      Profile for AMPAglut           Edit/Delete Post 

Hi there. I'm with the others in that I prefered the second version to the first. I had a couple of suggestions to offer for your consideration, however.

The first is related to the verb-tenses used; I found the jumping back and forth between present- and past-tense drew my attention away from what was happening. Also, the use of the word 'stupid' twice in close succession took away from the impact of the sentence: "I could easily have snapped both their stupid necks if I wasn’t wearing the collar." I'd lose the word "stupid" here - the sentiment is powerful enough without it.

I liked the end a lot, though. Nice little double-take moment for the reader.

Posts: 18 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

Thanks for all the comments. I'm realizing that I have been influenced by the sheer number of first person short stories I end up reading. I think something like half of the WOTF 24 stories are first person. In some ways, it feels like it would be easier to explain what the protag is actually thinking and feeling from a first person prospective, but now I have to agree with OSC that it's actually more limiting in terms of explanation. Plus someone mentioned that if it's self-narrated, it eliminates some of the suspense because you as the reader know that it at least works out in the end because he is here to tell his story. I'm rewriting in third right now, just to compare.

Tracy

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.