Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "Air Commodore Takahashi" /1000 word sci fi/ "Rhinoplasty Series"

Author Topic: "Air Commodore Takahashi" /1000 word sci fi/ "Rhinoplasty Series"
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
Another "Rhinoplasty" series flash// first 13 lines//hooky at all? ver 1
quote:
Fifteen years after Dodge died Air Commodore (AC) Shoji Takahashi walked alone at her crash site. She had saved his life and lost her own in the process.
He tromped through the overgrown vegetation, ducking under lianas. The forest had quickly healed the burned area and regrew. Without a GPS fix the crash site would have been impossible to find.
A blackened metal plate stuck out of the ground. On it was a seared decal of a unicorn with the words “Dodge” under it. So, this is it then. Shoji sat down on the ground next to it and opened up the bottle of Old Beastie.
He poured some out onto the metal. “Here's to you Dodge. Fifteen years it's been. Seventeen since I was banished to this hell-hole.” He tilted back the bottle and took a swig.

[This message has been edited by honu (edited February 11, 2009).]

Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very confused by the first line, was Takhashi a woman? was he a man, was he a ship, was Dodge a ship?

Then I realized it was me who was confused not the writing. Anyhow, how to avoid confusing dunder heads like me you could italicize Dodge--if it is indeed a ship--and use a word other than 'died'. As it is calling ships a 'her' can be confusing enough.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry Pat...that's a problem with a series....Dodge was Takahashi's friend, wing mate and lover...the unicorn and name was a decal left on her crashed ship...i.e. think mascot decal like WW2 or more recent....
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite hooky actually. I liked it and would certainly read on. A comma in the first line would be nice in my opinion.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.