Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Harmony-dark fantasy-3,700 words

Author Topic: Harmony-dark fantasy-3,700 words
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this is the same Peter from The Wages of Decay.

The usual...comments on the begining, offers to read when finished etc.

Heres an alternate version

Peter sighed inwardly. He was beginning to wonder if the grassy fields and rocky mountains he’d seen on television were some sort of illusion. He’d been wandering a long time now, and all he had found were cities filled with factories and warehouses, with only roads, highways and trash dumps between them. It seemed they went on forever.
Peter shook his head as he walked onto the streets of this new city, and saw that really they were, fundamentally, the same as those of all the others he had walked through. He had thought they would all be different but…no.
Of course, learning things like that was the point. He’d had an encounter with the unnamed spawn of the cities, the children of waste, and set off on a pilgrimage to learn.

Here is yet another version

Peter sighed inwardly. He was beginning to wonder if the grassy fields and rocky mountains he’d seen on television were some sort of illusion. He’d been wandering a long time now, and all he had found were cities filled with factories and warehouses, with only roads, highways and trash dumps between them. It seemed they went on forever.
How long had he been wandering, he wondered? How long since he’d burned out the colony of flesh-and-metal creatures that had murdered two people in his tenement home? He’d felt a sense of loss afterward, but also a nebulous sense of purpose. So he’d begun this pilgrimage.
He’d seen how people, himself included, had become distant from each other and even themselves…and most of them didn’t even know about…the others.

Heres the latest version

Peter sighed inwardly. He’d been wandering a long time now, and all he had found were cities filled with factories and warehouses, with only roads, highways and trash dumps between them. It seemed they went on forever.
How long had he been wandering, anyway? How long since he’d burned out the colony of flesh-and-metal creatures that had murdered two people in his tenement home? He’d felt a sense of loss afterward, but also a nebulous sense of purpose. So he’d begun this pilgrimage.
He’d seen how people, himself included, had become distant from each other and even themselves. Most of them didn’t even know about…the others.
He wanted to learn about the cities, the people in them and

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited April 05, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited April 07, 2009).]

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
"Of course, that was a good thing, he supposed. He was on this trip, this ceaseless journey, to learn about the cities, and the people and the…other things. And how they all interacted."

I think this last part higlights the problem of your first 13. What "this ceaseless journe" is, is what keeps me curious, but at this point it is too vague for me, people, cities, other things. This lack of detail and description could work if it was connected to Peter's apparent emotional detachment. But in the opening lines, his detachment is also vague as if you are holding back in the characterization, "Of course, that was a good thing, he supposed." I feel that I should have a reaction to the fact that this is all the emotion that Peter can muster in the face of his ceasless journey, but it is not connecting.

Disclaimer: I haven't read your other story, so if this gives important knowledge about Peter or his journey than most of my comments are off their mark. Though I would still say that, as an independent story, it should be able to stand on its own feet without the need of prior knowledge. I hope these comments are helpful.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Whussup Merlion. Just a couple of quick observations on the beginning here.

"He’d been wandering a long time now, and all he had found were cities filled with factories and warehouses, and between them roads and highways and trash dumps."

I think this sentence has a few other possibilites, as well. Not necessarily improvements, just possibilities. One might be "He’d been wandering a long time now, and all he had found were cities filled with factories and warehouses, and (or with) nothing between them but roads and highways and dumps" and another might be "He'd been wandering a long time now, and all he had found were cities filled with factories and warehouses, with roads and highways and trash dumps between them." There's basically tons of possible permutations that could be tried here by moving the word "between" around, adding the word "nothing" at a cohesive spot, dropping the word "now" and replacing some of the "ands" with the word "with". If you're so inclined to play Mad Scientist with it, that is

"They went on forever it seemed."

I think this might read better as "It seemed they went on forever."

This had a cool Twilight Zone feel to it. (That's my second reference to the Twilight Zone on here in the last hour. Hope I don't have a gear stuck!) In that respect, I think the vagueness works just fine, and can hook one with the uncertainty as to what exactly those "other things" are. It makes for a good, dramatic build-up.

It'll be interesting to see what Peter's been up to since we saw him last. Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Brant

[This message has been edited by Brant Danay (edited March 06, 2009).]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think this last part higlights the problem of your first 13. What "this ceaseless journe" is, is what keeps me curious, but at this point it is too vague for me, people, cities, other things. This lack of detail and description could work if it was connected to Peter's apparent emotional detachment. But in the opening lines, his detachment is also vague as if you are holding back in the characterization, "Of course, that was a good thing, he supposed." I feel that I should have a reaction to the fact that this is all the emotion that Peter can muster in the face of his ceasless journey, but it is not connecting.

Disclaimer: I haven't read your other story, so if this gives important knowledge about Peter or his journey than most of my comments are off their mark. Though I would still say that, as an independent story, it should be able to stand on its own feet without the need of prior knowledge. I hope these comments are helpful.

I always apreciate all feedback...however, I'm not sure I entirely follow all of your comments. Am I right in guessing that what your basically saying is that you dont feel a strong enough (for you) connection to the character, and that the character is himself too disconnected or unemotional?

If so, thats a common reaction to my stories in this vein. It's also largely intentional...the world of this (and some of my other stories) is an urban industrial wasteland of sorts, and its people are largely apathetic and disconnected from themselves and each other.

I had forgotten until a recent discussion brought it up that the information on the Hatrack start page does in fact instruct us to post our intentions for the story along with the first 13 (and it also says, very interestingly to me, that critiques are supposed to be within the context of those intentions.) I need to get in the habbit of doing that.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
I have similar problems as Merlion because my protagonists are usually anti-heroes, and sometimes downright evil. Having read a number of Merlion's industrial pieces, I just think everyone needs to be aware that, in a way, the settings and/or monstrosities are the real stars of the story. These pieces are somewhat Lovecraftian, and reminiscent of other forms of horror, in that regard. The protagonists are sort of the conduits through which we experience these worlds, and the fact that they are often apathetic or detached is reflective of their living conditions and the environments they were raised in, and they are very well-characterized in this regard. They may not be warm and fuzzy, or easy to sympathize and/or identify with, but they're not supposed to be. It may not be the "norm" or "trendy", but it's perfectly OK nonetheless, and I would encourage anyone who might be abstaining from reading the works in these series because of this to at least give them a try. They're very well done, if I do say so myself.

Best regards to everyone,

Brant

[This message has been edited by Brant Danay (edited March 09, 2009).]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

added an alternate version
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Being new to Peter's Wages of Decay experience, I found this opening curiously flat. I've been to cities, driven past waste dumps, nothing interesting there. Nothing interesting here.

I can sense Peter's disconnection from what he is seeing. But his aimless wandering seems to be without purpose. There is the allusion to his learning experience. The children of waste and the unnamed spawn of the cities seem metaphorical to me and essentially uninteresting unless they are characterized. If they're not metaphorical, you might consider capitalizing them.

If Peter can watch television, it should be obvious where nature is... unless this is a fantasy world. Then why television?

I think you need to bring in at least a hint of something that motivates him toward action, maybe be a bit more specific as to what he's seeking. A quest for learning is a bit insipid for a hook.

Grammar error, by the way in first version.'This new cities streets' should read new city's streets. singular not plural. fixed in second go-around.

Sorry this reads so negative.

- Owasm

Edit: I reread your second try again. A consideration... you hinted that this city might be different. You could take that 'but... no'and make it a stronger feeling of the promise; of something new to learn. That might open up some tension that isn't there.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited March 13, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me sum up the intro; A guy (or child?) called Peter is wandering through a dystopian/post-apocalytic world. Something had happened with 'the children of waste' which started his 'pilgrimage to learn'.

I know that you are hook averse, Merlion...so I won't comment on hooks.

The first two paragraphs seem to repeat the essence of each other--that it's a never-ending industrial wasteland. I think you could have used the space more effectively to achieve other ends...you could have made me feel as though I was there with Peter. As it stands I don't, I feel distant. I think you need a sentence to tie Peter to his environment--a detail--perhaps he kicks a chunk of tarmac or something and it echos off the empty buildings.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Please, pardon my presumption. Offered for consideration not as criticisms. I went over the top and off the mark intentionally for hyperbolous effect.

Concrete and tarmac ribbons knotted the sooted brownstone factories and rusted tin warehouses of the megatroplis. Frown lines creased Peter's face. He sighed. "Where are the mountain crags and grassy valleys?" Crowding walls echoed back his question. City after city connected by dump-lined highways as the pilgrimage wore into weeks then months, why should he think the monotony of ruin came to an end here, at the next city, or the next. "Where?"
Children of waste, spawn of the cities, they would make him a companion to their despair. No, there is a better place. He'd seen it on television, it must be real. The wastelings' wallowing miseries compelled him onward.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Finished at last. Can I get "unfinished" removed and 3,700 words added please?
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

quote:
know that you are hook averse, Merlion...so I won't comment on hooks.

Its not an issue of being averse. I realize that what constitutes a "hook" is different for everyone, therefore trying to create a "hook" that will work equally on everyone is pointless. You would probably consider much of what I like to read (professionally published stuff) "hookless"....but it hooks me, and others.

So all you can really offer is whether or not it "hooked" you.

quote:
The first two paragraphs seem to repeat the essence of each other--that it's a never-ending industrial wasteland. I think you could have used the space more effectively to achieve other ends...you could have made me feel as though I was there with Peter. As it stands I don't, I feel distant.

Well the distance, as I mention, is largely intentional, and part of the point to an extent. However as you see in the most recent version, I did come to agree with you about the second paragraph.

quote:
I think you need a sentence to tie Peter to his environment--a detail--perhaps he kicks a chunk of tarmac or something and it echos off the empty buildings.

I thought this was an interesting idea, but I just didn't find a place or way that it actually worked for me. Never can tell what will happen when I go to polish the whole piece though. Thanks for commenting.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

I've added a new first 13...I've revised the story a bit its now down to about 3,500 words.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.