Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » No Title Yet, SciFi, WIP

Author Topic: No Title Yet, SciFi, WIP
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reading. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

quote:
Eva traced a finger over the scar that ran in a straight line from the top of her breastbone to her naval. It was only one of many that covered her entire body.

She did not remember the wild dog attack that nearly killed her thirteen years ago but the scars were a constant reminder of how dangerous the wastes were for a child.

“Ms. Eva, are you okay?” the robotic voice of Jill came from a few feet away where Eva’s father was repairing her. “You seem troubled.”

Eva pulled a tattered blouse over her head and then smiled at Jill. “I’m fine,” she said. Jill could offer no smile in return. Like all of the robots and cyborg’s that helped run the farm, her skin had been removed. Father had always insisted on this.

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it, you have a nice opening that I'd like to read more of. Keep me in mind when it is finished if you need a reader.

The only quibble I have, is that this beginning could use some tightening.

How about this for an opening paragraph. I moved what hooked me to the forefront...

The wastes were a dangerous place for a child. Even though Eva could not remember it, scars crisscrossed her body from a wild dog attack that happened thrirteen years ago. Eva traced such a scar running the length of her torso from collarbone to navel.

[This message has been edited by mommiller (edited March 01, 2009).]

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
Cyborg's shouldn't have an apostrophy. Really good opening. My interest is piqued.
Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like this and the only thing I had issue with was the cause of this very long scar. As a scar collector myself, I can't imagine how a feral dog could cause a scar which ran brom breast to navel.

Otherwise I would turn the page with gusto

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
"She did not remember the wild dog attack that nearly killed her thirteen years ago but the scars were a constant reminder of how dangerous the wastes were for a child."

I think this might read better with the word "had" between that and nearly killed, i.e. "She did not remember the wild dog attack that had nearly killed her thirteen years ago, but the scars were a constant reminder of how dangerous the wastes were for a child."

“Ms. Eva, are you okay?” the robotic voice of Jill came from a few feet away where Eva’s father was repairing her. “You seem troubled.”

Didn't have a problem with this paragraph, just thought I'd point out that, if you're going to be using the word robot frequently throughout this piece, it might be preferable to use a different adjective than "robotic" here, maybe metallic or somesuch. I think the fact that Jill's identified as a robot quickly enough in the next paragraph would make it OK to make the change, if you chose to do so.

Random musing: Could capitalize "Wastes" if they're an important enough setting in the piece, or give them a spiffy name.

I think the breast-to-naval scar from the feral dog attack could probably be explained with just a little creativity, if you were so inclined. Wasn't a problem for me, but Bent Tree's obviously had a little more experience than I have, so I'd defer to him on this matter and add some further explanation.

I agree that the line about the robots and cyborgs having their skin removed is a great hook. I'd love to see it depicted graphically. If you're into gore, that is. The dangerous wastes are pretty damn intriguing, too.

Anyways, hopefully you'll find something in my ramblings to help you out or inspire you. Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

Brant

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone who replied. I actually forgot I posted this here. It was a pleasant surprise to see some responses.

The scars play into the story so the unlikeliness of a dog creating them is intentional.

I should be wrapping this piece up today. Anyone willing to read would be much appreciated.

Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
You may be nearly done, but one last comment. I was distracted by the wastes being dangerous for a child.

If there aren't any children in the story, I would suggest deleting the 'for a child'. Feral dogs are dangerous for anybody if they roam in packs.

That's just a nit. I thought the beginning was low key, but had enough conflict potential to keep me reading.

- Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.