Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Billy, the Champ(SF) Rated-R

Author Topic: Billy, the Champ(SF) Rated-R
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited March 13, 2009).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post 
I must say, I find this a little beyond R and more in line with XXX. Yet I do wonder why Tammy was running away with her tits bouncing so atrociously.

TL

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I would rate the excerpt of "Billy, the Champ" at R, some strong language, some strong sexual emphasis, some explicit nudity.

The X rating became NC-17 in 1990, no children under 17 years old allowed.

X, XX, XXX ratings are used by the adult film industry to distinguish how explicit the content is for viewers.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You know, she was hot, all but her face

Hyphen all-but-her face.

quote:
I had my tongue down Liz’s throat,

Is the MC Gene Simmons? Geez, you know how long a tongue would need to be for that?

quote:
I must say, I find this a little beyond R and more in line with XXX.

Not yet it isn't, but I am worried that the reason why Tammy is running is because Billy the Champ has equipment that would make John Holmes's jaw drop.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 10, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Any takers. There is actually a very good story. This is the worst of it. Well this first scene anyway.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this a lot - and I don't usually go for the pervy stuff

The voice, in particular, works well and things seem to be moving along nicely.

Feel free to send it on over if you can bear to let me near another one of your stories.

(Oh, and if Billy the kid turns out to be some kind of goat man, well... just well, that's all)

[This message has been edited by Toby Western (edited March 10, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Toby Western (edited March 10, 2009).]

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

There is no-o-o-o-o wa-a-a-a-ay I would pull a pun on title like that, Toby. I sent it to you.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
BT, I'll take a gander.

The first 13 didn't quite work for me, however. First, it feels a bit cliche--doesn't almost every horror start off with, or at least involve, horny teenagers in some way? Of course, I don't know yet if this is a horror story, but the way Tammy's a-running it feels like it is.

Secondly, the first person doesn't work for me here. It has to do with the whole first person paradox. He's recounting the story so he must have survived it, yet it's written as if he's involved in the "now" of fiction. In other words, you expect us to react to him as if it's written in third person. Usually this works. However, in this case, it makes your MC seem really callous. He presumably knows what's about to happen because he's narrating it. He's about to tell us something bad has happened, yet all he really thinks about is getting laid and how Tammy's moment is ruining that for him. Unless I'm all mistaken and what happens to Tammy isn't that terrible, but funny, in which case, it might work.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Just to clarify. There is no horror or violence involved.
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Bent Tree. I found this to be merely PG, although I obviously haven't read the entire piece. I don't know what the criteria for the ratings system are, but I didn't think this contained anything most people haven't seen or heard of by the age of thirteen, or even ten, for that matter.

"She was a butterface; You know, she was hot, all but her face—Tammy, I think her name was."

Seemed like a strange combination of semi-colon and dash to me. Perhaps "She was a butterface. You know, she was hot-all but her face. Tammy, I think her name was" might read smoother. Probably not a big deal, though. I would definity change the semi-colon to a colon, though, if left as is.

"freaking out, tits hanging out"

Using the word "out" two times in a row here sounded funny to me. Two options spring to mind: replace the second part of the sentence with the tits doing something else, or add another part to the sentence with the word "out" at the end, to achieve poetic effect, possibly "freaking out, tits hanging out, crying her eyes out" or somesuch.

Hope I've been of some assistance. Best regards,

Brant

[This message has been edited by Brant Danay (edited March 11, 2009).]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
baduizt
Member # 5804

- posted      Profile for baduizt   Email baduizt         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice stuff. Send my way and I'll see what I can do
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Not quite my cup of tea. A bit too graphic right off the bat. I wouldn't go any farther. It's not R rated, its crudely erotic.

However, a few comments. Billy the kid. Kid is generally capitalized if it's connected to the wild west outlaw. Capitalizing it makes it a stronger nickname.

I agree with the punctuation comment above. The sentence with the butter-faced Tammy is awkward.

Continuing on with Tammy, I would restructure her flight a bit. It's less important that her tits are hanging out, than she's terrified. It would be stronger if the emphasis is she ignores you, running right past you without stopping. You've got it in there, it's not put together with enough emphasis. I think that would add more tension.

Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.