Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » Heart on a Sleeve

Author Topic: Heart on a Sleeve
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a light hearted sorcery short story. Plot line is done. Intend this to be about 5,000 words.

Charles lay on his pallet, eyes screwed shut, arm over his eyes, deep in emotional pain. His depression, a cloud of dark vapor circling his head. This cloud was no illusion. It was a real cloud of dark vapor.

It all started for Charles months ago when Lady Vella came to court. Such a flirt. Charles fell headlong for her. He always kept his distance. Too close and Charles feared his feelings would be exposed. Infatuation was a peril for those in the kingdom of Poretta.

When he knew he would be in her presence, he made sure he was thinking of her before he entered the room or before he suspected she would. Anyone seeing him look at Lady Vella and seeing the heart appear on his sleeve would know instantly of his feelings… a folly that would be.

------

Thanks for your comments, I gave my start another crack:

------

He threw himself on his pallet in utter embarrassment. Red-faced, he screwed his eyes shut and covered his face with his arm.

“How stupid! How utterly stupid!” He sobbed as a mass of dark vapor built up over his head like clouds on a mountain peak.

“I see… she finally found you out. Eh, Charles?” said a figure hidden in the gloom of the opposite corner of the room.

“Yes, yes she did. Garlin, what are you doing in here?”

“Oh, I have my own little story, but I’m infinitely more interested in yours. Your Cloud of Depression is quite impressive. Come on now, Charles don’t be reticent.”

“You know whenever I thought of her a Heart would appear on my sleeve?”

“Quite aware.”

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited March 11, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason R. Peters
Member # 8518

- posted      Profile for Jason R. Peters   Email Jason R. Peters         Edit/Delete Post 
Owasm, my first impression as a reader (not analyzing, just reading) is that this didn't grip me. I didn't identify with Charles or care what happened to him or about his thoughts.

/analyze mode on

You're doing a LOT of "telling". Instead of going along for the ride, we're getting a summary of past events. I always wondered why the rule was "show don't tell" until I began to read more unpublished work. Telling feels very disconnected and inconsequential because I am not experiencing the character's life firsthand.

Now to specifics.

First disconnect I have is when you use "eyes" twice in quick succession. To me, "eyes screwed shut, arm across his face" would lose the echo but keep the sentiment. And I do like "screwed" for eyes. Nice touch.

I would drop "emotional" from "deep in emotional pain". I realize why you added it; because pain can also be physical. But rather than use this adj/noun combination, try to find a single noun which conveys an even more powerful overarching sentiment.

quote:
Charles lay on his pallet in mourning.

or
quote:
Charles lay on his pallet in sadness.

Whatever it is you're trying to convey for Charles, a single noun will hit home harder than an excess adjective and tighten your sentence.

Next this troubling cloud of vapor.

quote:
His depression, a cloud of dark vapor circling his head. This cloud was no illusion. It was a real cloud of dark vapor.

I see the issue here; in your story, there is a literal cloud of vapor rather than a metaphorical one, but you know most readers are going to interpret the first phrase as a metaphor, hence the need to clarify. The problem is that it reads EXACTLY like a clarification, further detracting from the story. Plus it's another echo.

What about something to this effect:

quote:
A cloud of dark vapor encircled his head, a physical manifestation of his depression.

After this begins the telling. "It all started" is often a bad sign, at least to me. It's almost a flashing red sign stating "Exposition ahead! Real story on pause while we explain stuff!"

I'd be much more compelled to MEET Lady Vella through Charles' eyes. Or even if you want to do it in flashback format, it could be narrated rather than summed up in brief factoids.

quote:
It all started for Charles months ago when Lady Vella came to court. Such a flirt. Charles fell headlong for her. He always kept his distance. Too close and Charles feared his feelings would be exposed. Infatuation was a peril for those in the kingdom of Poretta.

It's an interesting premise, but I as a reader don't FEEL it the way I think it unravels in your head.

For example:

quote:
It all started for Frodo months ago when he found an evil ring of power. Such a burden. Frodo fell headlong into danger. He always kept things cautious. Too much use and Frodo feared his soul would be exposed. Corruption was a peril for those in Middle Earth.

This doesn't have quite the same impact as showing Frodo gradually succumb to the ring.

Again, I'm not saying your story has to begin with Lady Vella's machinations. That is one possible method.

Another option would be to skip the backstory and continue with Charles' current experience. What happens to HIM next? Then as the story continues, through dialog and Charles' thoughts, you can unravel bit by bit how he got in this situation in the first place.

If for example, you first reveal Lady Vella just as a stray thought of Charles', for example as he's lying on his pallet, he blames that flirtatious shrew, but you don't tell us why, it leaves the reader wondering, "Who? Why? Was that who put him here?"

I hope this helps. I know it's a lot.

[This message has been edited by Jason R. Peters (edited March 11, 2009).]

Posts: 24 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brant Danay
Member # 8087

- posted      Profile for Brant Danay           Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I preferred the first version. The second seemed melodramatic to me, but that might just be me. Please bear in mind that my tastes are often not reflective of the majority of the population, nor are they reflective of material which is most likely to be published in today's day and age. If you're going for publishability, the second version would definitely be the one to stick with. I, for one, don't mind telling instead of showing, nor do I mind lengthy prologues and histories leading into a piece. Again, though, I'm a bit of an anachronism in these regards.

The grammar and syntax all looked pretty smooth.

I like the name Lady Vella.

I liked the depression being an actual dark vapor surrounding him. I also thought its capitalization as a Cloud of Depression in the second version was cool, and would definitely maintain that no matter what. This was the main hook for me.

I guess this wasn't very much help, just wanted to offer my opinions and overall perceptions. I know they're contrary to the first review, and again, if it's publishability you're going for, I would urge you to pay more attention to Jason and the subsequent reviews which will follow mine. Perhaps there is a happy medium between the two versions, however.

Best regards,

Brant

[This message has been edited by Brant Danay (edited March 11, 2009).]

Posts: 176 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.