Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » "The Bone Harp"/Fantasy/2.2k

Author Topic: "The Bone Harp"/Fantasy/2.2k
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
The floodwaters tugged at Angharad's skirts like cold fists. She sank into the mud of a still pool. Twigs and leaves and hawthorn petals gathered in swirling eddies. A cloud of golden hair swayed a seaweed dance. Angharad's hands shook. She couldn't make them stop. Her fingers held the memory of thrashing waters, a pulse.

A garland spun in the pool, and the white flowers haloed a blue eye. Gwyneth's beautiful blue eyes, laughing, lustful, dead. Mud clung to a white cheek. One silver bubble escaped the parted lips, flitted to the surface and burst. A breath? A word? Silence.

What would Angharad tell them? Father loved Gwyneth best; he would blame Angharad for her death. She heard voices through

---
An old fairytale from the "wicked" sister's perspective. I'd appreciate any comments, as well as readers for the whole thing. Readers will be glad to know that this is the shortest story I've posted.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 25, 2009).]

Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the poetic prose. I expect some might say it is too flowery, but I expect it in Fantasy, and I enjoyed it. Send it my way.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited March 25, 2009).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
I had the opposite reaction as Bent Tree. To me, the style seemed disjointed and stilted. There wasn't enough flow between sentences to keep me hooked. I can appreciate how finely crafted it is, though. You have a strong control of imagery.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
C L Lynn
Member # 8007

- posted      Profile for C L Lynn   Email C L Lynn         Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you mean, Bycin. Many of the sentences are the same length and read choppy. I'll work on that.
Posts: 226 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds interesting. I'll read it.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
monstewer
Member # 5883

- posted      Profile for monstewer   Email monstewer         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think this would be fine in the middle of a story but for an opening it does read a little haltingly. I prefer a smoother opening to a story to lure the reader in and become settled in the world you're creating first. Some nice images in there though, I especially liked bubble floating to the surface.

I'll read the whole thing if you like.

Posts: 373 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bycin
Member # 8297

- posted      Profile for Bycin   Email Bycin         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to send it my way, too. I'd be happy to have a read through of the entire piece.
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
The imagery is very nice.

I was a bit confused in the transition from Angharad's image to Gwyneth's. Perhaps that is intentional. I am assuming the cloud of golden hair to be Gwyneth's as Angharad's is likely to be a sodden mess. For me it took a couple of readings. As you work through the flow of the sentences, that might be an additional consideration.

I'd like to see the whole thing as well.

- Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
The floodwaters tugged ... of a still pool ... in swirling eddies didn't make sense to me. One implied motion, the other, not, then it was moving again.

She sank into the mud served to confuse me on the first read, as I didn't know if this meant complete immersion or not, and it wasn't clear at first who, if anyone, was drowned.

A cloud of golden hair swayed a seaweed dance. My first reaction was "So?" It's a nice image, but I didn't see how it advanced the story. At this stage I feel like I'm looking at a slideshow of unrelated images: Though each image might be artistic, as a whole they are not settling me into the story. Usually, I'd expect the use of short sentences to be used to speed up the pace of the narrative, but a sentence like the one above works counter to this.

On the re-read, I found this fragment made more sense, because I'd established Gwyneth was dead. Until then, however, I felt the point of view had not been adequately established, and I don't know if A garland spun in the pool, and the white flowers haloed a blue eye. is referring to the POV character or not, which makes all that extra descriptiveness seem to have only served to confuse matters.

On considering Her fingers held the memory of thrashing waters, a pulse vs he would blame Angharad for her death, I felt one implied guilt of the pov character, while one implied innocence. If the mc is guilty, then wouldn't "he know she was responsible"?

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi CL,

I don't have a problem with the prose or description outside of some clarity issues. My main problem is a question of chronological clarity. We start off in Angharad's perspective, but the description of the drowned sister seems to come from outside her (i.e. outside of POV) because her emotional reaction doesn't follow the discovery of the body. Is Gwyneth already dead when she finds her or has Angharad arrived in time to unsuccessfully save her? Without this understanding, it does come across as a series of images.

If you start with the first sentence and then have the image of the dead sister, followed by her shaking, we have a better idea of the chronology (unless I've misunderstood the timeline). It would probably also help to establish the relationship straight away so we understand the physical reactions better.

If you can wait until next week, I'll look at the whole thing then.

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.