Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » In tongues (flash horror)

Author Topic: In tongues (flash horror)
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why I keep writing horror. Bad dreams or something.
This one was actually a nightmare. I'm looking for readers, and comments on the first thirteen.
~Sheena

I remember the sound of his voice. It was melodic calm. I don’t remember a single word he said, though I remember well the way he spoke.
I remember his face. I had seen it so many times on television, and at the station. I knew well who he was. He was the smiling killer. A man so bold that he left pictures of himself smiling, when we discovered their bodies. I knew him better than anyone did. I lead the case.
His name was Anthony. Anthony Park. We knew where he was. We knew where he lived. We tried many times to catch that SOB, but it never worked. He sent back a van full of swat members. Dead, tortured. There was no touching him. Mistake after mistake, anyone who went after him was found tortured the next morning.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I can take this in flash doses. Send it along. Just make sure Anthony doesn't find out where it's gone.

There are a couple of technical mistakes in the opening. I "lead" should be led. The paragraph ahead of that has smiling in two straight sentences.

Other than that, the hook is strong and leads me on to find out why this guy is so awesome.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi shimiqua,

My first reaction to this was that you have a lot of "I"'s and "we"'s in there, particularly in the first two lines. A second look at this, and I think I'll recommend that you start with the line, "His name was Anthony." I'm not sure whether or not to recommend ditching the repetition. It's probably fine, but the first thing that jumped to my mimd was, "His name was Bond. James Bond."

And your last line seemed a little rough to me; the first phrase does not necessarily match with the second.

Oh, and I'll read the whole thing if you like.

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks awesome Owasm, and Beautiful Bored Crow.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheyne
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Cheyne   Email Cheyne         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll crit the whole thing if you like. I'm in the middle of an Elmore leonard book right now so my mind is in the right place for a police thriller. (with a twist I'm sure)
Posts: 340 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.