Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Short Works » 1st 13 - Fantasy (unfinished)

Author Topic: 1st 13 - Fantasy (unfinished)
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

1st 13 only, the story isn't finished...Anyway, I know the 1st 13 is quite heavy on exposition, but I was wondering whether it still worked?
Nick

quote:
As far as Inawinytji knew, fifteen people had promised the Ngalyod serpent they would bring the soul of a murderer in exchange for the victim within three days. Thirteen of those promises had been made in the years since the accord between the Great Dreaming and Queen Victoria. Five times a killer had been brought to the great rainbow-colored beast and the victims resurrected. The ten failures had paid with their souls. In his policing career, Inawinytji had successfully wagered the soul of a killer against his own three times and it made him famous in the joint nation of Australia-Dreaming.
Inawinytji didn't routinely reflect upon his celebrity, but yesterday's paper had mentioned him in the gossip columns. Hettie was not the jealous type, but he still did not wish to...

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited May 14, 2009).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, the name of the MC Inawinytji is just too much of a mouthful or mindful for me. It was very distracting. I guess it gets reduced to Hettie at the end. I would suggest doing the opposite and introduce the MC as Hettie and use the full name later.

The exposition doesn't do anything to get me into the story. There's a dream society (aboriginal? being in Australia)and a commonwealth society. The sacrifice of the murderers and subsequent resurrection is a bit much to take in the first 13.

All of the numbers were confusing and made the reading a harder slug: Fifteen times, thirteen times, ten times, five times, three times, three days.

The focus on the first paragraph is on the serpent rather than on Hettie. I'd get it on Hattie first, even if it is totally unrelated to his three triumphs, rather than on the Dreaming/Australia thing and the serpent.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited May 14, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Aye caramba! There's a lot going on here. Too many weird names. So many numbers it sounds like one of those math problems--if three people boarded the bus at station A, and five people got on and two people got off at Station B....

quote:

As far as Inawinytji I tripped up here. knew, fifteen people had promised the Ngalyod another trip up for meserpent they would bring the soul of a murderer in exchange for the victim within three days On first read I thought he was thinking of one incident--i.e., all fifteen people vying for one victim. But it's multiple victims, right?. Thirteen of those promises had been made in the years since the accord between the Great Dreaming and Queen Victoria Why is this significant? Right now, it's just more names and numbers. Five times a killer had been brought to the great rainbow-colored beast and the victims resurrected You need plural killers, too.. The ten failures had paid with their souls. In his policing career, Inawinytji had successfully wagered the soul of a killer against his own three times and it made him famous in the joint nation of Australia-Dreaming so wait, he's not including himself in the numbers above? Or he is?.
Inawinytji didn't routinely reflect upon his celebrity, but yesterday's paper had mentioned him in the gossip columns. Hettie Now another name. At least this one is pronounceablewas not the jealous type, but he still did not wish to...

I'm not hooked. Some of the concepts seem interesting--trading murderer souls for victims, Australia-Dreaming, which I'm taking as some sort of parallel universe or other-realm--but over all, I'm left with tired out from trying to do the math. Plus, i don't see a story. I don't even see the hint of a story. He's already successfully won against the serpent, so that can't be it. Is it the jealous? Not enough there yet to intrigue me.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Nick,

I agree with what's been said so far. My eyes blurred in the first paragraph. What really interested me was the start about being in the gossip columns, especially in contrast with his name and the details of the world (which you could introduce more slowly). I'd be interested in seeing what comes after that, and how it would work in the first 13.

-bc

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited May 14, 2009).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'll try a simplification:

quote:
Ina didn't routinely read the gossip column,‭ ‬but the paper had falsely linked him with Lady North's daughter and misspelled Inawinytji to boot. In his policing career,‭ he‬ had successfully wagered the Great Serpent for the soul of a killer against his own three times. He guessed that made him famous. His fiancee was not the jealous type,‭ ‬but he still did not wish to encourage the reporting of imaginary liaisons‭ ‬with various English debutantes.‭
‭A knock on the door disturbed his reading. "Come in". Brendan entered, his eyes shining with excitement. Ina sighed. ‬"I'll wager my soul if a killer writes his name and lodgings at the scene,‭ ‬but otherwise the chances are minimal.‭"
He didn't reply and he realized the look in Brendan's eyes was

[This message has been edited by Nick T (edited May 14, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 15, 2009).]

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Much better. I had no idea who Hettie was in the first go round, I thought it was the MC's first name!

It is still a lot of information, but its becoming more manageable and we are getting into the story.

One thing on this one, if Hettie is his fiance (I now make no assumptions) then it would be nice to name her up when he mentions his fiance.

It's now to the point where there is a solid hook and a character to hang it on.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyway, I know the 1st 13 is quite heavy on exposition...

Just my opinion, but I think it is a good idea to avoid putting ideas in our heads. I have written intros that have been'slow starters', for example, but if I mentionned that, then I am certain everyone would judge it against that criteria specifically.

I think that you then lose the general impression people will get from your work...it may be a slow starter, but they may not notice because they think it is so well written! (if only!)

Just my opinion...

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.